Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Crazed Ewok, Gen_Rhys_Dallows

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Guide to starting your very own Design Group
posted 06-17-03 02:17 AM EDT (US)   
In light of recent events of several design groups attempting to take roots, I am writing the

Guide to starting a Design Group

Part I
Getting Started

First you have to consider, "Am I a proven Scenario/Campaign/Modpack designer that has a degree of respect ammong others that will merit my creating this design group?" You must also consider, "For a community that is downsizing, is another design group really nessicary with the other active, more experianced ones?"

You'll find that these are important factors in deciding if you having a design group will suceed or not. At any given time, there can be no more than 3 to 4 Design groups active.

Part II
Appeal

You have to be able to appeal to people and show that your design group is worth joining. This is usually achived through releasing a decent project under your design group's name before any members join. If people see that this good project was created by a member of this group they will seek you out and ask to join.

You can't go to the crowd and find members, they have to come to you. For instance, the ASD recruitment thread is nothing more than a sign of despairity. If you release works under your design team's name and people aren't motivated to want to join that group, give up now. There is no point to go on after this point as it will only ruin your own reputation ammong others.

Part III
Your Website

A website is the next crutial thing next to your projects and you dignity. The most common choice for a free web host is freewebs. I would agree that freewebs is probably the best option for a small site for your design group, however, I do not believe that using one of the prefabricated freewebs tempates with a bad color scheme is going to be too atractive. I'm not saying that you need to know expert HTML or anything. Make your site in Frontpage! If you want your website to say 'We are a good design group', you want it to look original and creative. This often reflects people's views on your projects.

Part IV
Dedication

Any run of the mill idiot can set up a design group and a website, get members and say "Oh look! I have a design group now, I'm special!" You have to work to hold it together. You have to be involved with what goes on with your group, you have to keep projects running, you need to keep your members involved and you have to make your group look interesting.

Take Clone Campaign Design (CCD). Their group was doing extrodinarily well until their leader left and neglected his duties. Eventual, the website was abandon, the members lost interest and the group lost popularity. Thus, it was annex by DFD because that's just what DFD does to dying groups.

Possibly more later. Thankyou for your time.

Generalissimo TCP | FREE SYRIA!
Xaph's Forumer of the Year '08, Best Thread and Most likely to be sigged, '08
"I think George W. Bush is closer to being the single greatest president in US history" - Merai
Replies:
posted 06-17-03 02:19 AM EDT (US)     1 / 15  

Quote:

Thus, it was annex by DFD because that's just what DFD does to dying groups.

True dat.

Well said TCP.

Boris Buggy
I would like you all to know I am annoyingly shallow when in my "Boris" persona. So says Socks.
posted 06-17-03 02:42 AM EDT (US)     2 / 15  
Very nice

My Guide to Starting A Design Group:

DON'T!

C hairman of the FMT, Mectator, and Seraph
r esident of Unity RPG, Anti-Heroes, and Indolents
a seraph at SWGBH and EAWH
z apping spammers and stealing their shoes
e w o k "Don't waste your breath trying to figure out my logic" - Seacker
d ependent on daily tea infusions

[This message has been edited by The Crazed Ewok (edited 06-17-2003 @ 12:24 PM).]

posted 06-17-03 03:08 AM EDT (US)     3 / 15  
Nice one TCP Looks like you enjoy making guide pretty much .

=====MarshalVader=====
Darkness? Yes.
My Recommendations

posted 06-17-03 05:08 AM EDT (US)     4 / 15  
Good guide....I have a better one.

1. Dont bother.

[This message has been edited by White_Fox (edited 06-17-2003 @ 05:08 AM).]

posted 06-17-03 05:44 AM EDT (US)     5 / 15  
Good guide this has already been done at AOM heaven and this is very similar. Hopefully noobs will follow this.
posted 06-17-03 10:25 AM EDT (US)     6 / 15  
Nice guide. I don't plan on starting another Scenario Design Group anytime soon. Because there are still too many out there right now.

Proud Member of Pariah Designs Productions (Active group?)

Current Project

Empire Wars Series
posted 06-17-03 11:19 AM EDT (US)     7 / 15  
Good guide. I like the dedication bit. If you have a really busy life, there is no point.

Shelves
Proffesional
posted 06-17-03 12:45 PM EDT (US)     8 / 15  
Nice guide TCP.
posted 06-17-03 06:39 PM EDT (US)     9 / 15  
nice guide besides the ASD commit (you just had to do that).

--------\BobaFett
----------\Rogue Creations
----------\Plague Of Darkness
posted 06-17-03 06:42 PM EDT (US)     10 / 15  
Regardless, it's true.
Release something decent and wait for people come to you.

Tsavong Lah
Tá Críost éirithe! Go deimhin tá sé éirithe!
Ἅγιος ὁ Θεός, Ἅγιος ἰσχυρός, Ἅγιος ἀθάνατος, ἐλέησον ἡμᾶς.
posted 06-17-03 06:43 PM EDT (US)     11 / 15  
well i just thought it is kinda boring waiting for e-mails and it is much easyer on the forums.

--------\BobaFett
----------\Rogue Creations
----------\Plague Of Darkness
posted 06-17-03 08:28 PM EDT (US)     12 / 15  
No, TCP, you don't want to encourage them!

Chook | Galactic Battlegrounds Heaven
"I can't think of a better way on earth to build public favor than [the marriage equality movement], other than of course rounding up the Jews." - Sarthos
"Long story short, our goal is love and tolerance." - Sarthos
posted 06-17-03 09:46 PM EDT (US)     13 / 15  
nice.

'nuff said.

|::::::::::|The Uber-Turbin-totin-Turko|::::::::::|
|::::::::::|Heavengames|SWGBHeaven|MzunguBoards|::::::::::|
|::::::::::|Conserve energy-fart in a jar.|::::::::::|
posted 06-17-03 10:18 PM EDT (US)     14 / 15  
Very nice guide. Informative.

Angel Aro
Age of Kings Heaven Angel | Empires Heaven Angel
Events:
posted 06-18-03 11:50 AM EDT (US)     15 / 15  
My tip:

1.Dont start a design group, should you come to my fate
2.Join an existing one, like the magnificent teams in my magnificent signature

Get your hands off my woman!
Coz thats life, baby.
SWGB Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Guide to starting your very own Design Group
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames