Moderated by Crazed Ewok, Gen_Rhys_Dallows

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Newbies guide to making pregame cinematics
posted 10-27-04 05:24 PM EDT (US)   
Newbies guide to Cinematics stuff

Introduction

Okay so in this tutorial what we are going to do is create an opening cinematic. What software you use is up to you. But whatever you use must be able to export as a .AVI When i first tried to do it i struggled because i had the .AVI, i put it in the folder and BAM up came an error message. Shit i though, but i didnt give in.

Look and see
You see what i did was i looked at Why? and How? do the lucas arts .avis work. Why do theirs work and not mine. So i looked at their properties.

Settings

Height - 320
Width - 240
Bitrate - 705 kbps
Audio sample size 16 bit
Audio format - PCM
Frame rate - 14 frames per second
Data rate - 222 kbps
Video sample size - 24 bit
Compression - Indeo video 5

Finding out what the files that work "look" like i set mine to the exact same settings. I used same heights and widths. I didnt use audio so i havent experimented with this yet but i assume you set it to 16 bit. I dont know what frequency would work just experiment i guess. I set my video sample size to 24 bit .

Compression type

But alas my software compressed using Indeo video 5.10 and alas it didnt work. Gutted i scrapped my project. But then i thought don't give in. On the list of possible ways to compress was about 30. I tried each and everyone of them untill i found the one that worked...

Cinepak codec by radius. I created my movie set the sample size set the compression and exported as a .avi. I dropped the .avi in the .avi folder, loaded SWGB set the pregame cinematic to test.avi, saved it and loaded the scenario. I was met with jubilation as my shit movie loaded up as a pregame cinematic.

And so that is how its done

Tips

• Dont anti-alias your video, it looks shit.
  • Software you could use to make them :

• Rhino 3D
  • 3D Studio Max
  • Bryce
  • Flash
  • Quicktime

Q/A

I was not sure what this thing: (Pal) stood for (It was after the file type)

The three main Video broadcast standards are NTSC, PAL and SECAM.However, each standard is incompatible with the other.
For example, a video recording made in the UK could not be played on US standard VCR's or shown on the TV. PAL is Phase Alternating Line and is used in the UK and Europe.

I have no compression type that will work

Well ive done some research and you can download the Intel Indeo 5.0 from this site Website You can then use quicktime or whatever to create the movie.

Will this work on Macs ?

As i am noit a Mac user i cant say. .AVIs are a windows file type but like i said im not a mac user so until a mac user tests it out i can't say.

How would i make this in Windows movie maker, they export as .wmv not .avi?

I don't use the software but you would need to download some software that converts .wmv into a .avi

Usefull websites

Goes through making a movie in windows movie maker

Looks like you could use this software

Making movies on a mac

[This message has been edited by The Nameless (edited 10-27-2004 @ 06:04 PM).]

Replies:
posted 10-27-04 05:29 PM EDT (US)     1 / 8  
Meh, good post. Mine was just a theory anyways, because in movie maker 2 they give you two options for saving AVI's: .AVI (Pal) or normal AVI. Neither worked anywayways. I was thinking maybe palleting the images inside. But meh.

They weren't fights...They were more like ideas... But I'll trust you on this.

posted 10-27-04 05:31 PM EDT (US)     2 / 8  
This guide is hardly *Newbie Friendly* ...

It's more of a rant than a guide, it makes you look like a joke. In all honesty, this is pretty usefull stuff - however the way it's set out / the language used means that it's hardly worth using ... Sort it out and this should get stickied, otherwise it'll just die.

posted 10-27-04 05:39 PM EDT (US)     3 / 8  
*fixed*

There is probably an easier way to make them work but for now this way works.

I probably wouldnt be able to answer any technical questions because im no AV expert.

[This message has been edited by The Nameless (edited 10-27-2004 @ 05:40 PM).]

posted 10-27-04 05:45 PM EDT (US)     4 / 8  
Ah, Looks like a great guide now ... Congratulations!
posted 10-27-04 06:05 PM EDT (US)     5 / 8  
Updated with some web links and a Q/A thingy majingy
posted 10-27-04 09:15 PM EDT (US)     6 / 8  
Wow, you did this lazily...

*cough* proofread and spellcheck *cough*

1UP Blog
posted 10-28-04 02:42 AM EDT (US)     7 / 8  
Well done knotted!

Even though I already knew how to do that...

posted 10-28-04 03:40 AM EDT (US)     8 / 8  
W00tness! I always wanted to knew how they were done!

Knotted++

Bad thing is I don't understand half of the guide. Wtf are you talkin about?

B e n d e r s . . . © 2004

ex SWGBH scn designer
ex BFME2H cherub
SWGB Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Newbies guide to making pregame cinematics
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames