Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Crazed Ewok, Gen_Rhys_Dallows

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Sith and Jedi's guide to Contests
posted 08-03-05 05:52 PM EDT (US)   
We all know about the new Contest Fad. This might be a fad that lasts a long time. So forumers from around the globe I present to you

Sith and Jedi's Guide to Contests

So what exactly is a contest?

A contest is a competition for all forumers to compete and see who can make the best scenarios.

Oh,O.K. So what kind of contests are there?

There are many kinds of contests. If you want it to have lots of participants don't make the required map size too big. Brownboot was smart. He only used a 30x30 map. Some people might consider this too small but........ anyway types of contests.

Storyline Contest.

In this contest the storyline is already set. Just post a opening scroll or anyother way you can tell the story. Don't get too far down in the details you want the designer to be able to be creative. Plus don't make the stories too big or they might not be able to be done in one level on the map size you choose.

No rule contest.

This might be called the no rule contest but there are still rules.

huh?

No rules means that the designer can be totally creative. No storyline or anything else is given. The scenarios can be as different as one about Episode 3 to one about how Boba Fett grew up. This is the type that Brownboot used.

Units Contest.

A units contest is a contest that the designer has to use the specific units that are given. A example would be:

Cpn has to have:

Master Skywalker
Ewok
Vader
Yoda
Boba Fett

Catagory Contest.

This contest is pretty simple. You give a catagory like, I don't know, stealth. Then the designers would have to make stealth scenarios.

Time Period Contest
Tell the time period where the scns must take place and let the designers do their stuff.

Much, much, more.

There are many more types of Contests that are just waiting to be made.

So what rules shoud I make?

It all depens on want you want.
Here is some things you need to consider:

The map size

The type of contest

Are mods allowed?

Will music and sounds be allowed?

so what usally motivates people to join a contest?

It depends on the person. Some people like to enter for fun.
Others enter for the prize. Some enter for the reconigtion.

It all depends.

When should I start my contest?

When no other contest is in progress. And if you can help it, a few weeks 9or much later probably) after the last one ended. If too many contests are in a ro people will get bored. People have lifes too you know.

Jeez....sorry. So what do I do about judges?

well obviously yourself. But you should always have more then 1 opinion. Pick people that are experienced designers for judges. Not some noobie that got the game last week.

Well, I think I'm ready.

Well good for you.
Now go out there and make me proud.

If anyonehas any questions go ahead and ask.

Oh, and I'd like to thank Brownboot for starting this whole thing.

Oh, and a note from Master Echuu:
A good point to add about contests is this: FINISH THEM
This is the reason that just about every contest on this forum sucks, because they never get followed through and are left in the dust. With all of these useless threads for the mini scenario contest, it damn well better get finished.

*NEW*

If you plan to make a contest go ahead and post it here a few weeks before you air it. Or you can e-mail it to me at b_e-mail@comcast.net

[This message has been edited by Sith and Jedi (edited 08-06-2005 @ 07:05 PM).]

Replies:
posted 08-03-05 05:58 PM EDT (US)     1 / 7  
Nice guide.

Zaarin | Creator of Coruscant Life SE
deviantArt | New Campaign Coming Soon
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

"And now the moon, earth's friend, that cared so much/for us, and cared so little, comes again—/always a stranger!"--Robert Lowell, "The Public Garden"
posted 08-03-05 05:59 PM EDT (US)     2 / 7  
Thanks. It's my first guide, I thought it wouldn't be too good.
posted 08-03-05 06:08 PM EDT (US)     3 / 7  
it was very informative, and its a really good guide which both brownboot and other future contest hosts may take a look in to get new ideas etc...
posted 08-03-05 07:03 PM EDT (US)     4 / 7  
I was pretty good.

Lover Of Fambaas
posted 08-03-05 09:33 PM EDT (US)     5 / 7  

Quote:

I was pretty good.
it was very informative, and its a really good guide which both brownboot and other future contest hosts may take a look in to get new ideas etc...
Nice guide.

Thanks all.

posted 08-03-05 09:56 PM EDT (US)     6 / 7  
A good point to add about contests is this: FINISH THEM

This is the reason that just about every contest on this forum sucks, because they never get followed through and are left in the dust. With all of these useless threads for the mini scenario contest, it damn well better get finished.

posted 08-06-05 03:11 PM EDT (US)     7 / 7  
Added Echuu's note to post
SWGB Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Sith and Jedi's guide to Contests
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames