Scenario Design
Moderated by Crazed Ewok, Gen_Rhys_Dallows

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Blackie View #1
posted 02-18-06 09:27 PM EDT (US)   
Hello, I’m Blackmoon and this is The Blackie View. *Cheesy theme music*

Every so often I interview one of the top designers in our community.

"Why waste my time doing that?" You ask? To inspire your sorry ass.

This time I sat down and had a cup of coffee with, Han Katarn 425, the creator of the newly released campaign: Dark Forces. Let’s get it started:

Blackmoon:
Dark Forces is arguably the best campaign so far this year. You've had tremendous support from the community, how do you respond to the fans that have supported you through the long developing process of a campaign as large scale as Dark Forces?

Han Katarn:
I thank them from the depths of my heart. Though this campaign was completely made by myself, I'd never have made my dream a reality without the help of the designing community. Farlander's script, Revan's playtesting, Plagueis's and Andrea's mods, and LordBane's mod compilation! All of them have helped me achieve this success.

Blackmoon:
We all know designing a good 14 level campaign is extremely tedious. During the long development, was their anytime where you lost hope?

Han Katarn:
Well, I'd have to say that I never truly lost hope on this campaign. There were several instances (processor fried, SWGB wouldn't work, and some very enormous bugs) where I thought there wasn't a way out. But despite these obstacles, I forced myself to keep going even though I felt as though I'd never finish. I wouldn't doubt it that several people lost faith in me, however. And how can I blame them?

Blackmoon:
What would you say was your biggest challenge in making the original game into a campaign?

Han Katarn:
I wanted to capture the essence of Kyle Katarn and the game, but I also wanted to add to it for a personal touch. The hardest part was taking things that were memorable from the game and transferring them to the scenario designer in a feasible form.

Blackmoon:
What is your favorite moment in the campaign?

Han Katarn:
My favorite moment, and the one I'm most proud of, is the end finale. I feel that I succeeded in creating another well-loved, "Star Wars" ending. You might also say that I love the ending because I was done.

Blackmoon:
A lot of designers have a scenario design philosophy. Do you have one?

Han Katarn:
Well, I'm no philosophical expert, but the best advice for any designer is to NEVER GIVE UP!. If you have an idea, and you want to make it come true, don't settle for not letting it happen just because it's hard to do. Tevious, through his campaigns, showed me that nothing is impossible with the scenario editor as long as you're creative enough!

Blackmoon:
What was the reason you started designing? And what is the reason you still design?

Han Katarn:
I decided to start designing because I saw it as an opportunity to tell a great story. Now, I've always loved telling stories, but a campaign allows you to not only tell one but involve another person in it! Dark Forces, I felt, was a great story that every Star Wars fan should know and appreciate.

Han Katarn:
I continue to design because I know that my work inspires creativity in others, and I love the feeling of completing a campaign. Even if nobody likes it.

Blackmoon:
How would you describe your feelings directly after completing Dark Forces?

Han Katarn:
I felt as though a great weight had been lifted from my shoulders, a ripple sent through a pond. I... I heard trumpets from heaven, and I cavorted around my room to Meco's Star Wars Disco.

Blackmoon:
In the beginning of your project some people doubted you, how did this effect the campaign development?

Han Katarn:
It made me want to prove them wrong. I looked at my scenarios again, convinced myself that everything in them was trash, and revamped them. I racked my brain for all the ideas I could come up with, and even enlisted the help of other people to make suggestions and improve my ideas. So you might say, people's doubt actually made it better.

Blackmoon:
almost every designer has a different approach to map design, how do you describe yours?

Han Katarn:
All of my map design was completely spontaneous. I didn't try to come up with where everything would be beforehand, with the exception of the Arc Hammer. Once I have the basic map layout ready, I come up with things to add between the main points. Once this and all the triggers are done, I go back and make it look nice and pretty. I find that trying to make a beautiful map as you come up with it is pointless and time-consuming. Instead, make the basic stuff first and then spruce it up.

Blackmoon:
A lot of people feel that design for galactic battlegrounds is dead or dieing, how do you respond to them?

Han Katarn:
Everything dies eventually. But when you hold true to something you love doing, you keep it alive. Someday, what I created, as well as what I say right now, will be ancient history. But the impact I left on so many people when I shared my creation as well as the experience of creating it and completing it will never die.

Blackmoon:
Do you plan on continuing to design for galactic battlegrounds? Do you have a new project coming?

Han Katarn:
I sure do. And what better than to continue the story I've already laid forth? Mysteries of the Sith is my next undertaking. Whether I finish it or not --we'll see what the evil minions of buggery and campaign failure can throw at me this time!

Blackmoon:
I would like to thank you for having this chat with me, your Dark Forces is truly a masterpiece and I wish you the best of luck on "Mysteries of the Sith". You may make a closing statement if you wish now:

Han Katarn:
Life is good. Enjoy it, and never let anyone wreck it for you. Oh yeah, and TAKE THAT, BENDAK!

Truly inspirational, I’m Blackmoon and this has been The Blackie View. *cheesy theme music*

[This message has been edited by Blackmoon (edited 02-18-2006 @ 09:34 PM).]

Replies:
posted 02-18-06 09:34 PM EDT (US)     1 / 9  
Needs a logo.

No will to wake for this morn.
To see another black rose born,Deathbed is slowly covered with snow.
Angels, they fell first but I'm still here.
Alone as they are drawing near, In heaven my masterpiece will finally be sung

End of All, Nighwish
posted 02-18-06 09:35 PM EDT (US)     2 / 9  

Quote:

Needs a logo.

I'm only one man!

posted 02-18-06 09:37 PM EDT (US)     3 / 9  
I can't believe you had "the you know what" to say that!Thnaks EoD

No will to wake for this morn.
To see another black rose born,Deathbed is slowly covered with snow.
Angels, they fell first but I'm still here.
Alone as they are drawing near, In heaven my masterpiece will finally be sung

End of All, Nighwish

[This message has been edited by Desere (edited 02-18-2006 @ 10:04 PM).]

posted 02-18-06 09:44 PM EDT (US)     4 / 9  

Quote:

I can believe you had the you know what to say that!

I'm confused.

posted 02-18-06 09:47 PM EDT (US)     5 / 9  
I think he means

I can't(maybe can) believe you had the "you know what" to say that.

Whoa.
posted 02-18-06 09:52 PM EDT (US)     6 / 9  

Quote:

I can't(maybe can) believe you had the "you know what" to say that.

Finally an answer to the endless mystery of "what the hell is desere saying". Thank you, EoD.

[This message has been edited by Blackmoon (edited 02-18-2006 @ 09:55 PM).]

posted 02-18-06 11:11 PM EDT (US)     7 / 9  
Wow. I mean... that was... wow.

₪══════Freelance Forever!══════₪
▓┼┼┼H@ñ Kãtã®n 4²5┼┼┼▓
▓┼┼Father of Ðark Forces ┼┼▓
₪════════════════════════════════₪
The ability to destroy a planet is insignifigant next to the taste of a kiwi.

posted 02-19-06 07:21 AM EDT (US)     8 / 9  
Nice idea Blackmoon !

-- Revan--

u called down the thunder...
...now reap the whirlwind !
posted 02-19-06 11:26 AM EDT (US)     9 / 9  
Wow, great thread.
SWGB Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » The Blackie View #1
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames