Please login or register

Star Wars Universe
Moderated by Crazed Ewok, Gen_Rhys_Dallows, Kongou Dess

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: A Guide to RP'ing
posted 05-30-06 02:46 AM EDT (US)   
I posted this a while ago and, with the recent focus on RPGs around here, I though it would be a good idea to post it again. For more information, see The Guidelines of the Hall at the Age of Wonders Heaven Hall of Wonders for some useful advice.

Role playing can either be the pinnacle of excitement and pleasure or it can be a veritable hell. On the one hand, you come across some very interesting people who show extraordinary talent and skill. Then again, you come across some real idiots. The trick to keeping a level head and continuing the thread to spare those forummers you respect against the ranting of a single insufferable fool is to try your best to be conciliatory. I myself have had failures in the past. I have had successes as well. The responsibility for making a successful thread, I’ve found, falls on all members, not just the moderator. So I decided to establish a few guidelines that I believe are important to success.

For the RP’er

1. The Character

This is one of the most important aspects of role playing and therefore warrants the longest analysis.

First off, your character has to be interesting, or else he or she (or it) will never be fully integrated into the story. The other players will simply ignore your character, choosing to sacrifice a single character that is boring for the sake of the overall story.

Second, you have to take some initiative in bringing your character in, especially if you’re joining halfway through. It becomes too much trouble for the other players to go out of there way, to abandon established storylines, so you can join in. Make your character important. Why should we care about this trader from a backwater planet? What makes this soldier stand out from the millions of others to be found in the galaxy?

As to factions, usually the moderator has a list of factions in the topic post and has selected these for a good reason. Try to avoid making your own faction as this often causes problems because everyone wants to be the best. Other characters are fine, but these should be independent. If you want to assimilate your character into an already established faction, that is fine, but don’t create additional empires or kingdoms unless the moderator says it is alright.

Don’t make your character overly powerful, either. Everyone has a weakness. This can apply to faction leaders as well. Summoning the entire army to one spot is not only unrealistic, but also foolish. You never commit your entire military to a single battle. That is the point of divisions. A cruel leader is not likely to remain in permanent control. Not even Jedi are omnipotent, so don’t make them so.

On this note, it is rude to kill or injure another player’s character without permission. Interaction is one thing. If you will be unable to post for a few days, it is your responsibility to state such and either give temporary command of that character to another player, make him/her a temporary NPC, or state that nothing must happen in regards to the character.

Once you have a character, try to keep him or her “in,” regardless of what you may want for him or her personally. A character at the forefront of the action is much more interesting than one that stays away doing his own thing. However, if yours is the kind of character that manipulates from the shadows, then battle may not be the prime location for him. All things must be taken in context. You can introduce your own plot twists when the current arc is finished.

2. Posting

Keep it real! No one person or faction is invincible. Battles take time and include counterattacks, skirmishes, etc, etc. At the same time, don’t just post for the sake of posting. Actually do something. Bring someone somewhere.

Besides this, the only good advice is to have a good time of it.

Though this is the shortest topic, it is one of the most important. The thread lives or dies by not only the amount of in character posting, but also by the quality.

3. Arguments and OOC Posts

Don’t. These are the number 1 RPG killers. The moderator, as I will point out, should also post an OOC thread for comments. If he doesn’t, then keep them to a minimum. The thread is for story writing. No matter what you say, though, the moderator says it last. Sticking a knife in a dead horse, so to speak, solves nothing

If you have to post a comment, do so tactfully. Sarcasm is inadvisable as it will only anger other players. If someone extends a diplomatic hand, it does not do to blow up at them. While satisfying, insulting a particularly idiotic player leads to undesired results.

I’ve seen huge debate posts that could have passed off for essays. These kill the spirit of the thread. No one wants to read a huge analysis of something you consider unjust (I say as I type this out! ). The best course of action to take is to bring it up with the moderator or settle the dispute outside the thread. The latter is the most advisable as it allows the two in conflict to arrange a compromise.

By all means, if you feel if something is wrong, say it! But do so intelligently and don’t ruin things for everyone else. Courtesy, people.

Note: When this was written, the best way to resolve an issue was via e-mail or instant messaging. However, it appears as though the Imperial Legion of SWU is wisely deciding to pursue a court system that will allow for expedient and fair resolutions of arguments. I would suggest you take your complaints there.

For the Moderator

1. Role Playing

If you choose to actively participate in the thread, then good luck. Trying to balance the two is one of the hardest things you can do. To make high-quality posts and still deal with the squabbling masses can really tax a person. But, if you are successful, the rewards are great.

All of the above advice applies to you, as well. To successfully moderate and play at the same time, you have to be skilled diplomatically and possess some writing ability.

If you choose to watch from afar, intervening only when the others are at each other’s throats, the task becomes that much easier. You don’t have to post major events, your only duty as far as controlling the thread is updating the topic post, but you don’t get any say in which direction the story goes and, therefore, cannot complain if things are turning out differently than you planned. That’s why you posted the thread in the first place – to let other people create a story based on the given background.

2. Starting the Thread

It is best to post a recruitment thread separately from the actual thing. This allows everyone to start right away with the story.

If you choose to role play along with everyone else, then it is wisest to control the “main” character, or the leader of the main faction. You can then manipulate political events as you wish.

However, this lends itself to another problem: player monopolies. It is stupid and selfish to control every major faction involved in the thread. Diversity of control is best for a fun and interesting thread.

Before beginning the thread, it is ideal to have at least four or five players, depending on how many characters each player controls. A good limit is four per player, though limits are not necessary and may even be inhibiting. This part is really up to your judgment.

3. Moderating and Running the Thread

Treat each person as if you don’t know them and have never role-played with them before. No one deserves anything more than anyone else. To quote George Orwell: “All animals are created equal. Just some are more equal than others.”

Never, never, ever be a dictator. Posting rules just leads to arguments over them by legalists. Instead, just follow the tacit ruling system that most players have become accustomed to.

If a player comes to you with a grievance, address it. Likely, he has a good reason to be angry and ignoring it will cause a flame war in your thread. Active moderators achieve better results than passive ones.

Conclusion

Besides these, the most important this is to have fun. Why else would anyone do this? These are meant for leisure time and need to remain such. Bickering about this and that amounts to nothing in the end and merely destroys the experience.

Here is my two cents worth; do what you will with it. These are not open to debate, just a few friendly suggestions.

So keep it fun. And may the Force be with you.

One sig to rule them all, One sig to find them,
One sig to bring them all, And in the darkness bind them.
l Awards and Recognition l
Ad Pleniorem Scientiam l "How very civilized!" - Newt_Gunray l Official MEC Good Liberal

"Melkor just won the forum." - Xicon l "Melkor's intellect never ceases to amaze me!" - Cheapy the Hutt l "Melkor1, a true legend." - Imperial_Persia
"Melkor1 may just be the smartest person I have ever associated with over an internet forum." - Empire of Darkness

[This message has been edited by Melkor1 (edited 05-30-2006 @ 02:54 AM).]

Replies:
posted 06-09-06 10:26 AM EDT (US)     1 / 7  
Nice guide, Melkor. Do you mind if I quote some of the material for something that I'm working on?

posted 06-09-06 03:11 PM EDT (US)     2 / 7  
Lol, saves me the trouble of doing one. I was actually working on one last night.

I will open one of my six mouths, and I will sing the song that ends the Earth.
I love you in a totally platonic way Xaph - Jon Rolos | Xaph does mutha****in' win the thread. - Anakin
Xaph, I wish you were my friend IRL - Boba Fettucini
Well I think it's obvious why Peter Noone would care about Xaph - Newt_Gunray
Xaph is suddenly full of win! - Zaarin | Xaph, how often do you win threads? Because you just won this one - Catabre
posted 06-09-06 08:04 PM EDT (US)     3 / 7  

Quote:

Do you mind if I quote some of the material for something that I'm working on?

No problem.

Ad Pleniorem Scientiam l "How very civilized!" - Newt_Gunray l Official MEC Good Liberal

"Melkor just won the forum." - Xicon l "Melkor's intellect never ceases to amaze me!" - Cheapy the Hutt l "Melkor1, a true legend." - Imperial_Persia
"Melkor1 may just be the smartest person I have ever associated with over an internet forum." - Empire of Darkness
posted 06-09-06 08:09 PM EDT (US)     4 / 7  
Melkor, you don't have time for this. Get to OR and begin the Imperious smackdown!
posted 06-10-06 01:34 AM EDT (US)     5 / 7  
Persia, this is an old document that I first posted months ago. You should recognize it. it took very little time to re-post.

posted 06-10-06 10:51 AM EDT (US)     6 / 7  
I know Melkor, can't you recognize a joke when you see one
posted 06-10-06 11:21 AM EDT (US)     7 / 7  
'Months' meaning 'a' month.

SWGB Heaven » Forums » Star Wars Universe » A Guide to RP'ing
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames