Please login or register

Strategies

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Units and their Counters
posted 02-09-03 00:32 AM EDT (US)   
Troop center units

Trooper: Troopers, Strike mechs, Artillery, in tech 4, assualt mechs.

Mounted trooper:Troopers, Strike mechs

Anti air trooper: Basically anything, but troopers and strike mechs always do the job

Grenade Troops: Troopers are best, strike mechs still work vs grenaders but not as effective.

(note: All troop center units are killed easily by fighters. Only anti air troops in their masses stop fighters, They will do bad against fully upgraded tech 4 air. Always watch and see if your enemy has anti air.)

Mech Factory Units

Scouts: C'mon, anything that attacks!

Strike mech:: Mech destroyers, grenaders mixed in with troops, royal crusaders, airspeeders, bombers, Assualt mechs, Artillery.

Mech Destroyers: Mech destroyers (Ironically), grenaders (they can do a bit better on their own here), royal crusaders, airspeeders, bombers, Assualt mechs, Mass Artillery.

Assualt mechs: Mass mech destroyers, grenaders mixed in with many other troops, royal crusaders, airspeeders, bombers, assualt mechs, Mass Artillery.

(Note: Jedi masters are an effective counter to assualt mechs, and if you can convert them they are an even better counter!)

Jedi/Sith Temple Units

Jedi Padawan: Since these will mainly only be in tech 2, mass troopers or mounted troops are best counters. If you face them in tech 3, strike mechs.

Jedi Knights: Bounty Hunters, Strike mechs, mass mass troopers.

Jedi masters: Repeater troops, Bounty Hunters, Strike mechs.

Airbase/air units

Tech 3 Fighter: anti air trooper, try 2 per fighter if you can. Mass Fighters, go mass anti air. Your own fighters are also an effective counter, even if you dont have as many you can micro them (control them) so they get the first shots in.

Tech 3 Bomber Anti air troops, fighters, anti air mobiles.

Airspeeder: Anti air troops, anti air mobiles, fighters.

Jedi starfighters: Anti air troops, anti air mobiles, fighters.

Tech 4 Fully Upgraded fighters: The best counter is hvy anti air mobiles, and if you can, get anti air retrofit!

Tech 4 Fully upgraded Bombers: Lots and lots of anti air mobiles, or if he has no fighters use them.

Air Cruisers: Fighters, awings, jedi starfighters, airspeeders, Anti air mobiles. Also anti air troops if you can get in range.

Awings: Fully upgraded (FU) fighters, Upgraded anti air mobiles. Not sure about mass anti air troops.

Hvy Weapons Factory

Pummel: Mounted troops will absolutely tear them down but be aware of other enemy units. Mech destroyers also work.

Artillery!!: Mounted troops are best here again but expect enemy troops to be around. Mech destroyers can work but they must be Fully Upgraded & sheilded. But the best you can get is assualt mechs, with MD's. You dont have to have many just have a bit of MD support.

Anti air mobiles: Most things will work but be sure not to counter with air!!, MD's Mounties are probably best again.

Shipyard

Utility Trawler: If your on a map where everyone is making boats try to pump out a few frigates in t2 and kill his boats. It will really hurt their economy.

Frigate: Frigate, destroyers.

Destroyers: Destroyers, Frigates in masses are good too.

Anti air Destroyers: Anything but air!!

Cruisers: Destroyers. Destroyers are the best counter to any sea army, only troubles arise is if your enemy has air also.

*** UNIQUE UNITS ***

Destroyer Droids: Mech destroyers, assualt mechs, bombers, airspeeders, Grenaders.

Dark Troopers: Mass FU hvy strikes, Assualt mechs? Mass repeaters.

Royal Crusaders: Mass Repeaters/hvy troops with range upgrades, strikes (but i dont really recommend it too much, repeaters are more cost-effective).

Fambaa Shield Generators: Mech Destroyers, Assualt mechs, bombers. Also try targeting them with cannons.

Airspeeders, awings, Jedi Starfighters: Fully Upgraded shielded etc fighters, Hvy anti air mobiles. (Note jedi starfighters can be cloaked so having a detector unit in the area helps).

Genosian warriors: Hvy Anti air troopers with range upgrades, anti air mobiles, Any other air to air unit.

Confederacy Predators: Troops will work on any of them except acklays, dont use troops vs them unless you have lots. Strike will kill all of them.

Probot: C'mon what do you think!

Buildings

Turrets: Avoid them in tech 2, unless you have some mounted troopers lying around. Tech 3 your best bet is probably artillery or pummels, artillery will have more use in the long run but may take a while to tear them down. In tech 4 turrets are rarely seen but if you do verse a turret mad opponent use cannons.

Fortresses: If your facing an unguarded fortress come tech 3 its best to send in one or two pummels backed up by strike mechs or mech destroyers. The pummels should absorb the fire and the strike mechs kill any mounted troops. Basically throw up a heavy weapons factory and use pummels if your enemy makes a fort on you when your unprepared.
If your having a front to front war ie 2 fortresses set up near each other use artillery, they can be used in a lot more ways than pummels.
Tech 4 the best way to go is cannons backed up by an army, followed by heavy artillery.

Command Center: Stay away from these during a rush but keep in mind they dont hurt strike mechs at all very much.

***DETECTOR UNITS***
Bounty Hunters, Dark Troopers, Royal Crusaders, Scouts, Probots, Jedi starfighters, Jedi knights/masters (depends on if you have the tech with your civ).

There you have it, most of this games counters. If i have missed anything or you believe some of the counters are wrong post and ill update.

Find me on MSN Game Zone as _Skythe_ or _SF_Skythe_ typically...
Waiting on the next SW RTS!!!
Only a few more years to go..

[This message has been edited by AU_Skythe (edited 07-30-2003 @ 06:24 AM).]

Replies:
posted 02-11-03 06:24 AM EDT (US)     1 / 3  
i really recommend these counters... its not good to counter air cruisers with repeater troopers or troops with mech destroyers when u can just make strikers...

posted 02-11-03 09:29 AM EDT (US)     2 / 3  
I really think we need another mod in here so we can sticky or add these stratgy topics to Arma's faq.

Good guide though, simple, but that's the way the new guys like it.

I need something to hold me over untill AOM, I guess this will have to do, catch me on the zone as _Nazgul or Knights_Q2
posted 02-12-03 07:53 AM EDT (US)     3 / 3  
ya, maybe we need to contact cherub luke or someone and get em to make new mods or stickyise our posts!

SWGB Heaven » Forums » Strategies » Units and their Counters
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames