Topic Subject: Scenario Design Newbie Guide to SWGBH... and the SW Universe
posted 03-27-06 07:30 PM EDT (US)   
SCENARIO DESIGN
NEWBIE GUIDE

to

SWGBH & THE SW UNIVERSE

Your Host: SilverSaber_Yoda

//FACTS TO AID IN YOUR SEARCH FOR HELP\\

• First off, we have a Scenario Design Help page where you can post questions and answers to programing questions. Go there instead of creating a "mini-post" thread.

• Also, on the Scenario Design Help thread, you will have to be able to give a DETAILED problem. You can't just go, "My trigger ain't working." You will get no help.

• BTW, Scenario Design help includes AI, triggers, and Map Designing.

• If you don't know how to do the programing in the SWGB Editor (triggers), check out the stuff on this page.

//KEEPING UP WITH THE TIMES\\

It is extremely important to try to stay up to date with threads and projects. It can also keep you from doing a project currently in production. To see what's new or coming out, I suggest checking out the Design Central Page done by Darth Bandon. There is a lot of links to a bunch of places.

//FINDING THE RIGHT IDEAS\\

I will admit there are a lot of abadonned project ideas that are on the SWGBH Scenario pages (like Tales of War). *sad* Just look them up using the search at the bottom of the main Scenario Design Forum page. Be certain, however, that the project was not done. And still ask for permission.

Personally, if you want to do some Star Wars research for a project, DO NOT go to SuperShadow.com. Its almost all made up. (learned from personal experience.)

Instead, use the Star Wars Portal @ Wikipedia.org. There is a ton of GOOD information.

//GREAT LINKS\\

• Official Newbie thread
  • Official Star Wars Site.
  • Storyline Guide. This is a guide done by Empire of Darkness.
  • Zora's Guide to End All Guides If you need to know something, this is the place to go.

Quoted from Watto:

"Take a look around. I got everything you need."

• The Force.net Another good spot for info.

//SUGGESTIONS AND HINTS\\

• If you want respect, use the spell check or you will be severely harrassed by forum members. We just can't stand COMMON spelling errors.

• Also, some ideas are so OLD or someone has done something SO OUTSTANDING no one really cares about a remake. (I personally take this as a loss to some.) No one is saying you can't do these. Its just inadvisable to do these:

Generic Boba Fett Campaigns *
    Anything from the SWGB Campaigns
    Generic Episode III *

When I say generic, I'm saying nothing different from the movie.

• When your doing a campaign, be sure to do some planning for your campaign. This will help your STORYLINE score a lot.

• Post in others' threads as well as your own. While you're spamming away keeping your own thread alive and on top, campaigns that are more likely to be completed keep getting bombed down to the bottom.

• Finally, when you post something for a campaign or scenario, the people here tend to like well sized SCREENSHOTS. Take them in your game by pressing the PrintScreen Key on your keyboard. They will be located in the SWGB folder under screens. Then, upload them to Photobucket or Image Shack. Then, link them to your thread.

//DESIGN GROUPS\\

Design groups are groups that come together to organize thier ideas. They work together to produce both mods and scenarios/campaigns. Active design groups include:
    New Life Designs
    Hardcore Design Network(Closed Currently)
    RAVEN STUDIOS

Other design groups, get your names up here.

• One final thing about most design groups, they tend to accept people that have been active for a while or people that have done projects. Don't be surprised if they want a sample of your work.

//SOME OTHER PROBLEMS\\

• How do I download stuff?

Answer: Go to the download section @ SWGBH (located here) Select the catagory: MOD, AI, RANDOM MAPS, Single / Multiplayer SCENARIO, CAMPAIGN, UTILITY, or even a SAVED GAME.

• When I download something, where does it go?

Answer:
  • A MPI file (Mod) it can go anywhere, you just have to use the Mod Installer.
  • .per and .ai files (parts of AI) go into the AI folder in SWGB.
  • .Cp1 (Campaigns) go into the campaign folder. You can access the campaign in SWGB under custom campaigns.
  • .scn (Scenario) go into the scenario folder of SWGB. They can be accessed through the editor or the normal game using the scenario map tab.
  • .wav and .mp3 files (sounds) go into the sound folder of SWGB.

• That basically takes care of this.

• When I try to uninstall a mod, it says it can't be uninstalled (ERROR). What do I do?

Answer: You're going to have to move your scenarios to a seperate file on your computer. And uninstall SWGB. When it say do you want to uninstall (or keep--I don't remember) configured files. Get rid of them. Also, uninstall the mod installer. After all that you should be able to reinstall everything and get it to work right.

• What about mods?

Answer: You need to get out of this thread and go to the mod page.

• How do I submit a file?

Answer: Go to the Downloads Home Page and select Submit File. Fill out the forums and follow the instructions and as soon as Echuu or whoever is doing it gets to it, others can download it. (You will need to registered with the forums, btw.)

---------------------------------------

WELCOME TO SWGBH, AND HAPPY DESIGNING TO ALL.

SilverSaber_Yoda
    Currently Working On
    STAR WARS SITH
    RESIDENT EVIL: OPERATION PHOENIX

[This message has been edited by SilverSaber_Yoda (edited 03-29-2006 @ 04:54 PM).]

• Replies:
    posted 03-27-06 07:36 PM EDT (US)     1 / 23  
    Pathetic attempt at a sticky with no new information.

Quote:

Ok, due to HUGE number of new scenario designers.

Not really, it's just that noobs see the forums like this:

http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/5519/hownoobsseetheforums9xe.png

[This message has been edited by Blackmoon (edited 03-27-2006 @ 10:58 PM).]

posted 03-28-06 02:07 AM EDT (US)     2 / 23  
    i personally beg to differ. This guide is intended for n00bs. I remember when I first joined the site and started SDing it took me ages to find all the guides and info that i needed. SSY has done a good job of compiling all of this info into one topic. With a little bit of tweaking this could be a worthy guide.

/\
    /
    __\
    /____\
    /
    ._\../._\
    /___\/___\

Power Wisdom Courage
    posted 03-28-06 03:53 AM EDT (US)     3 / 23  
    I'm kinda confused about the purpose of a thread. It all just seems a bit scattered. To be honest I think all of the sticky threads cover what is needed.

Quote:

Personally, if you want to do some Star Wars research for a project, do NOT go to SuperShadow.com. (learned from personal experience.) Use Star Wars Wikipedia. Their is a BUNCH of GOOD information.

Considering this is meant to be partly a guide for the SW Universe, that's pretty cheap.

It's always great to know that someone puts the time and effort in for a guide. But my advice? Try putting more stuff into it, such as links to techniques that have been posted around the forum. Use this for starters.

[This message has been edited by Mr Muppet (edited 03-28-2006 @ 04:00 AM).]

posted 03-28-06 07:50 AM EDT (US)     4 / 23  
    It looks like it's basically telling you where the helpful guides are. It's not bad...but I don't know if it's sticky-worthy.

Sierra Wolf
    posted 03-28-06 08:44 AM EDT (US)     5 / 23  
    Ok, I know this is really nothing new, but it takes forever to find everything. I'm open to suggestions, though.

SilverSaber_Yoda
    Currently Working On
    STAR WARS SITH
    posted 03-28-06 09:24 AM EDT (US)     6 / 23  
    I think that this is good, it just needs to be streamlined a bit.

Add some subject headings over each section to the guide, and it'll make it more organized.

And you forgot *Post in others' threads as well as your own. While you're spamming away keeping your own thread alive and on top, campaigns that are more likely to be completed keep getting bombed down to the bottom.

Whoa.

[This message has been edited by Empire of Darkness (edited 03-28-2006 @ 10:10 AM).]

posted 03-28-06 06:34 PM EDT (US)     7 / 23  
    Well, I spent some time. I'm up for any other suggestions.

SilverSaber_Yoda
    Currently Working On
    STAR WARS SITH
    posted 03-28-06 09:03 PM EDT (US)     8 / 23  
    Not sticky worthy.

BriJr

[This message has been edited by BriJr (edited 03-28-2006 @ 09:05 PM).]

posted 03-28-06 09:36 PM EDT (US)     9 / 23  
    n00bs never take a look around the page and never search for helping threads, they just prefer to post a new thread for getting help, maybe this thread would call more the newbies attention because of its name, So I dont think its worthless.

Quote:

but it takes forever to find all the guides

Totally True

*-------Vandaliser--------*
    (__-___Lord*Bane___-__)
    <<........*¨88¨*........>>
    Episode IV Full Campaign
    ---The Movie's Game Begins---
    Member Of FLD
    posted 03-28-06 11:02 PM EDT (US)     10 / 23  
    You forgot Raven as a design group....How could you?!

Sierra Wolf
    posted 03-28-06 11:06 PM EDT (US)     11 / 23  
    {yawn} oh so old gesh how many times have I seen people post these . . .

You are far stronger then you relize... Far wiser than you think... What was once you're life... Is now you're Legend
    posted 03-28-06 11:38 PM EDT (US)     12 / 23  
    Actually, this is the first thread of this type in a very long time.

Whoa.
    posted 03-29-06 10:11 AM EDT (US)     13 / 23  
    The point is not to be sticky worthy. The point is to be here to help. End of story. If it becomes sticky, so be it. Otherwise, don't worry about it. I need Raven and HCN webpages. Btw, is HCN even still around?

Other links that you all have found will be great.

SilverSaber_Yoda
    Currently Working On
    STAR WARS SITH
    posted 03-29-06 10:16 AM EDT (US)     14 / 23  
    Good attempt SilverSabre, I think it would attract a newbies attention but I don't think they would be bothered to read it all.

*Scowls at Blackmoon*

LightSide
    "Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
    ----------NLD | Lightsabre Skills: Jedi Master | Master Yoda----------

[This message has been edited by Light Side (edited 03-29-2006 @ 10:18 AM).]

posted 03-29-06 10:25 AM EDT (US)     15 / 23  
    posted 03-29-06 10:45 AM EDT (US)     16 / 23  
    That's what I needed thanks.

SilverSaber_Yoda
    Currently Working On
    STAR WARS SITH
    posted 03-29-06 04:09 PM EDT (US)     17 / 23  

Quote:

*Scowls at Blackmoon*

You walked into it with your nooby group.

With the new colors and all it looks like some sort of parade.

Quote:

Good attempt SilverSabre, I think it would attract a newbies attention but I don't think they would be bothered to read it all.

Hmm... Didn't you just read it?

[This message has been edited by Blackmoon (edited 03-29-2006 @ 05:36 PM).]

posted 03-29-06 05:15 PM EDT (US)     18 / 23  
    A Parade is better than a driving manual. You pay more attention. Besides colors are good.

SilverSaber_Yoda
    Currently Working On
    STAR WARS SITH
    posted 03-29-06 05:32 PM EDT (US)     19 / 23  
    iiiii love a parade!
    posted 03-29-06 08:41 PM EDT (US)     20 / 23  
    Good, cause I hope every new forummer comes here.

SilverSaber_Yoda
    Currently Working On
    STAR WARS SITH
    posted 04-01-06 10:38 AM EDT (US)     21 / 23  
    *Pushes thread back to the top

SilverSaber_Yoda
    Currently Working On
    STAR WARS SITH
    posted 04-07-06 10:33 AM EDT (US)     22 / 23  
    New Forummers must read this................
    *drags it to the top*

SilverSaber_Yoda
    Currently Working On
    STAR WARS SITH
    posted 04-07-06 11:19 AM EDT (US)     23 / 23  
    Dont bump, it makes your guide look bad.

B e n d e r s . . . © 2004

ex SWGBH scn designer
    ex BFME2H cherub
    SWGB Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Scenario Design Newbie Guide to SWGBH... and the SW Universe
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames