Home
New Releases
New Reviews
New Comments
Top-Rated

Submit File
Browse Categories
New Files

Campaigns » Dark Forces Mission I (DEMO)

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Dark Forces Mission I (DEMO)

Author File Description
Han Katarn 425
File Details
Clone Campaigns required?: Yes
Style: Role Playing Only
Number of scenarios: 1
Here it is, the demo of Dark Forces. My first work! Enjoy.

Additional notes: This is probably my final version, which is 99% complete, and far better than my original demo. I have changed many things according to the reports from my playtesters, but I really need some additional opinions.

Download it, abuse me, opinionize it! Tell me what you think no matter how bad it is. The sole purpose of this demo is to improve what I've already got.

Thanks.

--Han Katarn 425
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
The Crazy Person
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance3.0
Creativity3.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions3.0
I'll say this right away: I initially was not expecting anything worth a mention, however I was pleasantly surprised, given my inital expectations. This is the first relatively new campaign I've played, so I wasn't sure what to expect from this generation of designers.

Playability: 4
This played fairly well, however it was, for the most part, a straight forward run-and-gun scenario. Despite its lack of "diversity" I still gave it a 4 because it still presented a challange to the player.

Balance: 3
The balance was 'ok', although I had some issues. The thing is, it was either too hard or too easy in areas. You'd either be facing a few enemies that your range could take out before they even got off a shot or you'd be in a room with 15 troops taking you down faster than you can run away. Try to fix the number balance in different areas.

Creativity: 3
Most of the creativity points here go to a successful adaptation of the adventures of Kyle Katarn into a SWGB scenario. The reason I give a 3 is because although different "creative" techniques were used, it was nothing really innovative or different. (open gate, elevator to different location. Pretty common)

Map Design: 4
This is the one that took me by surprise. I was fairly satisfied with the map, as it provided an accurate view of an imperial base. My main problem was with some of the map bugs. In the room with the computer terminal, some of the soldiers are changed to the enemy team and thus just stand around while you complete your mission. Also, either remove or change player ownership of the map revealers around the cutscene areas.

Story/Instructions: 3
The story is that of the first Dark Forces mission: Steal the Death Star plans... that's it. There is no real direction throughout the scenario, so its a lot of guess and check for moving around to complete your goal.

Additional Comments:
Over all a nice demo, but it does need a bit of work, hopefully to be corrected in the full campaign.
Major Rick
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions5.0
I had a LOT of fun play this scenario. The turns and troopers around the corner made it fun and I was able to play throughout the scenario without any mistaken holes. There was a trigger bug though when the commando says "Don't let him through". I don't know if the gate was supposed to be open but he said it twice and on the second time around there was no commando 'cause I had already killed him. Anyway, if you fix that, it would be a five.

Balance: 5
The game had almost perfect balance. It presented quite a challenge to me and taking wrong turns could just make the game harder but that's what made it fun. If you follow the game without making any mistakes it was a normal challenge of difficulty but everyone makes mistakes so be prepared

Creativity: 5
Considering this was taken off the Dark Forces game, it was really creative. Sequencer carges, gernade troopers on cliffs, and the computer terminal were all really creavtive.

The map was awesome. Very detailed map with lots of cliffs and plenty of buildings that make it look almost exactly an Imperial Base. There may have been some more places for eye candy like at dead ends or instead of dirt next to the elevator maybe metal. I thought the elevator was meant to be on the inside so if it is, I think it would better to put metal instead but if it was meant to be there then just leave it alone.

Story/Instructions: 5
Little instructions but much wasn't needed so it was short and sweet. The story wasn't as creative as I thought but it was based off a game so there's really no reason to take off points for it.

Additional Comments:
I'm really sorry if this review doesn't help you all very much, but let me just say that this was an outstanding scenario and much, much better than the first. One trigger bug in there and add the fine details and it will be perfect.
Empire of Darkness
(id: Imperial Force)
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 5
It plays like SOTE. And SOTE played good. So of course, so would this campaign. I'm not saying its a mirror, but how else can you expect Dark Forces to be? I thought that this scenario was very enjoyable, and everyone should try it.

Balance: 4
I found that there were still a few balance issues in this updated version. Some parts of the campaign, like when you first get to the base, seemed too easy, and others, like when you search for the correct key code or whatever seem rather difficult. However, all in all, it pretty much keeps a nice balance through out most of the scenario.

Creativity: 4
Well, its based off Dark Forces. Having the patience to make a campaign based off another game isn't something that always comes easily, and I know Han Katarn has been working on this for a while.

Map Design: 5
This had to be some of the best base map design I have ever seen. Map is always crucial to a scenario and I think Han Katarn truly pulled it off with this one.

Everything you needed to know was there. It had explanations for everything, and you would need it. I don't I would have garrisoned inside the bunker like it was an elevator if I hadn't read the instructions.

Additional Comments:
Over all this was fun to play, and I can't wait for the full campaign because it looks trule amazing. Good Luck, Han Katarn!
Lord_Bane88
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions5.0
For being your first map it was very cool, let me tell you that this is the funniest map I have ever played this map makes me remember the good times of Star Wars:Shadows of the empire

Balance: 5
The balance was preety good it doesnt have anything that I have to criticize in here

The map was very creative the detail that called my attention the most was the energy balls like reactors or something, also the use of elevators and the option of placing sequence charges you did very well.

It had many cliffts that was fine also the imperfection of the buildings were fine for the kind of place they were, Im refering to the damage walls and all that stuff

The instructions you place in there were enough to know what to do so you dont need to change that

Additional Comments:
Now my critics:
I think it would be better to put Kyle inside of the other elevator he is going to get out from, I dont know if you could do this but making Kyle to have the same damage he had before when he get out from the other elevator (That will make the game harder), and, forgive me this is my personal opinion but, I think the "mission complete dialogue should appear not when you retrieve the plans but when you arrive to your ship bucause, The mission is not complete until you get out of all danger right?, well, also there was a commando that shouted "Dont let him get trough" and when that happen there was any trooper nearby so I think that have to be corrected, I think it would be great if you could fine a Death Star hologram mod to place it instead of the Droid Control P. for it to be the D.S.Plans, Finaly I thank you because with your map I can learn more about triggers and you really inspired me with that map, Dont worry Im not gonna make a copy or anything, well having nothing more to say I hope that this will help you improving your map, Great work Kyle!
Consul
(id: Desere)
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 5
It was wonderful. No bugs. A wonderful adaption of the Run&Gun/Puzzle style.

Balance: 4
It was pretty good excpet that the balance in some parts was either a bit too easy or a bit too hard in others.

Fairly creative adaption of the Run&Gun genre.
And various other creative things.

Map Design: 5
A wonderful adaption of the Imperial base to SWGB.
It looked great
Very good and simple.

Additional Comments:
Well This is a must download I can not wait until the full Campain comes out.
*Gives Han Katarn 425 Hi-5*
Han Katarn 425
File Author
Well, I'd just like to say thank you for all the support all of you have given me. I know I'm still a noob designer, but just wait until I release this ;).

Regardless, I'm always happy for all the opinions I get, good or bad. Heck, somebody could spam me about the campaign and I wouldn't care. So, I'm glad you're all looking forward to this, and you're pretty loyal for waiting nearly two years.

Thanks, everybody, for sticking with me so long.
Bendak All you guys definately need to learn how to review (except TCP) - your reviews suck arse pretty much IMO.
Bendak
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance3.0
Creativity2.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions3.0
The playability was okay. I certainly enjoyed to play a decent RPG scenario again. This doesn't get a five because of a BIG lack in creativity and because of the simplicity in many things. I want more challenge! I want puzzles! I want bosses!

Balance: 3
Okay. I died twice - one time in the turret area and one time at the end (end was okay, btw ;)). Other than that, waaaayy too easy. This made the game abit boring.

Creativity: 2
I cudn't found any/much new things. I am wondering how the other reviewers could actually give a 4/5 of this when they is nothing specially 'creative' or 'innovative' in this scenario (biased reviews?). Don't get me wrong - playing it was fun but in depth it sucked.

Map was okay! Definately not perfect, or superb, but you did tried your best to make a good base. Very good was that you used some things of the All Units mod. Worst thing was the spaceship, looked horrible.

Story/Instructions: 3
Well, the story was from DFII so you can't take credit but I don't care about that, I care how it's made ingame. Too be honest, the intro was quite boring. Alot of talking and no action. You could improve the story with more talking (with Jan), more cutscenes with action (we love those), and perhaps some special, creative things (example: Gman's voice in HL).
Instructions were short, but too be frankly, there was nothing new to instruct about.

Additional Comments:
Good job! You are a good designer, I had fun playing this scenario, but you REALLY need to be more creative and work on your in-depth scenario designing skills.
Major Rick Sheesh Bendak... You don't have to be so insulting. If we thought it was an excellent scenario then let us write our opinions. You don't have sit back and say ours sucks, and then show off with yours. However, I do agree with some of your points. I know the maker of this scenario face-to-face and I am just new to making scenarios. I thought his map was pretty good and the cutscene in the beginning did drag a bit and I forgot to mention it. I have never played Dark Forces before but I have seen previews and reviews and from what I have seen it was pretty good. Overall, to have the same health when you get out the elevator is literally impossible without special programs from my experience. It would be nice though :). The mission complete thing your right as well and i forgot to mention that as well. Otherwise I thought it was a really good scenario with a lot of work put into. (He is currently editing so we'll see what the final version is!)
Major Rick Oh by the way.. With the creativity, you have to remember that just because other scenario designers used different creativeness and others use it as well doesn't mean it deserves a two. If that was the case then all scenarios besides SCN Punk campaigns would creativity of 1/2. My scenarios were just plain do this and do that and tasking. Han Katarn's aspects were pretty creative considering what I have been through. (Keep in mind that I am new here and I am blown away by more than half these scen.'s). Other creations and innovative technology require the help out outside programs (mods,utils, etc.) and many of us (like me) don't have high speed or large hard drives to get this stuff so you can't judge too harshly just because others can't afford or do what masters can.
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.3
Balance4.0