New Files

Utilities » Random Map Scripting Guide for SWBG

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Random Map Scripting Guide for SWBG

Author File Description
RF_Gandalf
File Details
Clone Campaigns required?: No
To this point in the life of SWBG, very few people have bothered with writing new custom random map scripts. Certainly the fact that Lucas Arts did not include any instructions on how to do so despite having this feature in the game is probably the biggest reason. Other reasons may include apathy, complete satisfaction with the abundance of random maps in the game, preference for working with the Scenario Editor (which certainly has a lot to work with!), or preference just to play campaigns or scenarios.

Whatever the reason, it is a shame that there are not more good random maps available. There have been a couple of good efforts at creating instructions on how to write custom random maps, most notably the RMS tutorial at the MFO SWGB site by MrED, which is an update of the original one for AOKTC Random Maps by vauxhall. My atttempt is similar, using the original AOKTC Random Map Scripting Guide by Ensemble Studios as a base, and changing it to remove references to AOK units and terrains, and adding a good deal more explanation and examples for clarity. This is done as a downloadable file rather than an online guide for ease of use. Hopefully gamers will be able to use this effort as a guide to creating good custom random maps.

If there are questions about random maps or about this guide, post them at the SWBG Heaven Scenario Design forum or the MFO SWGB forum and I will try to respond.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
jordynator could you make it a bit smaller im not englisch so i doesnt know exacly what you meen
Fyre Bird Some people may not know this but, .rms files can be opened in a text editor

(like Notepad)
Websquirrel I miss some information. For example #const numbers or strings for air transport units.

By the way: I seems to me that air transports are causing troubles on random maps. I tried a few random map scripts that promised to provide air transports at start but I got no air transport at start. Is this a bug? Isn't it possible to add air transports for random maps?

Also I would like to have some heroes in random maps (equal to sherwood forest hero random map of aoe). But I did neither find any documentation nor find out by myself how to add swgb heroes to random maps.

any good advice is welcome

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Statistics
Downloads:1,442
Favorites: [Who?]1
Size:31.09 KB