Half Life - Black Mesa North

Author File Description
Bendak
File Details
Clone Campaigns required?: Yes
Style: Role Playing Strategy
Number of scenarios: 1

BLACK MESA NORTH

In the Black Mesa Research Facility in New Mexico, something went terrible wrong. An experiment in testing energy transportation to an unknown world failed miserably. Hell as come down on Earth, when strange sorts of Aliens appear from nowhere.

Ruthless government troops, commanded to destroy all evidence and survivors have invaded the Black Mesa Complex and have begun a ruthless hunt on Gordon Freeman, a physicist and researcher of the Anomalous Materials Laboratory. Freeman, escaped them until now, but fell in sleep somewhere in a dark place, resting from his actions. Then Freeman wakes up, by the voice of the mysterious Gman, and continues his escape through the Black Mesa Complex, this time heading through the abadoned Northern facility....

Features

~ Half-Life atmosphere - an unique experience
~ Weapons system with ammo - the first and the best system out here
~ Amazing map design - small map size opens super-detailed map design
~ All spoken dialogue!
~ Puzzles, Bosses and other gameplay challenges - a new challenge in every new area!
~ Bendak's on his best - yeah, you gotta play this!

Weapons

~ Light Blaster - Standard issue blaster used for everything
~ Medium Blaster - A powerful blaster that can hold off any enemy, however ammo is scarce
~ Powerblast - An addition for your blaster, this mighty thing eats powerful enemies or buildings
~ Energy Cores - No grenades this time, now the energy cores (seen in HL2) come up for new puzzles and gameplay!

Speedrun

You can watch a full speedrun of this game at Google Video! But be careful, it may ruin some of the fun discovering the puzzles and solutions of battles. If you are stuck somewhere you can always have a look how it's done.

Link

Cheats

There ARE cheats for this scenario. Things will become more clear (or not) if you completed it.

Important Note
Update december 2015: I'm working on getting the music back online for you. Playing without music isn't the real experience.
Listen how it would sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_MyR61aD58

Information

A small scenario designed for the Hard Core Designs Mini Scenario Contest.

Made by Bendak of Raven Studios and Hard Core Designs.

Patch 1.14 playtesting done by Sumo. Thankyou!

AI, Bitmap, Scenario, Sounds, and Music are made or modified by Bendak.

Trigger Count: 182

Updates

Current version: 1.2

Version 1.02 updates:
*fixed help with cores when not playing on Easy
*fixed second Lieutenant health

Version 1.1 updates:
*fixed crashing bug at medkit
*expanded Powerblast with timer, effect wears off after 4 seconds
*readme layout

Version 1.14 updates:
*fixed some bugs
*added a tiny bit of balance
*restyled download page
*new music/sounds download link

Version 1.2 updates:
*fixed minor bugs
*edited speedrun and cheats into main download page

Disclaimer

THIS SCENARIO IS NOT MADE, DISTRIBUTED, OR SUPORTED BY LUCASARTS ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY LLC. ELEMENTS tm & (c) LUCASARTS ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY LLC AND ITS LICENSORS
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Empire of Darkness
(id: Imperial Force)
hmm

[Edited on 09/06/08 @ 03:30 PM]

Bendak
File Author
Thank you for all those comments! I'm glad you liked it so much!
Darth Bandon
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
ADDITIONAL REVIEW by Darth Bandon

Firstly I must concratulate you Bendak for this actually awesome campaign. My thoughts when I played goes to the real Half - Life game and the music was also FANTASTIC!!!

Playability: 5
The playability was so amazing. First of all the weapon system. You can use 3 different weapons. I also like the ammo system. The stuff was also cool, parcticularly the power cores. I also liked very much that the enemies made their appearance suddenly and catch you unprepared. Generally the Palyability was between 4.5 and 5.

Balance: 5
The game was good - balanced. The first part of the game was too easy. In the second boss, Bendak must better had make the Lietunant also enemy or just put a bounty hunter beside the Lietunant. The second part of the game was a bit difficult. The only problem is that if you kill the Lietunant and the troopers, the artillery has no luck against you. The finale was the most difficult part of the scn. I also like very much the anti - cheats triggers. Wise move by Bendak cause playing with cheats you lose all the Half - Life environment. The balance was fantastic. Definitely 5...

Creativity: 5
The creativity was cool. First of all the taunt activate system about the weapons. Was not so original but it was wonderful fixed. Also I like very much that the monsters made their appearance suddenly giving you better the Half - Life look. The music was also cool made to the player more clearly that he is playing a horror game and not an action game. Generally the creativity was also cool. 5 from me.

Map Design: 5
This was definitely the best part of the game. I wonder how've you made such a FANTASTIC map in a so small space. You combined very well the three kind of rocks and I also like very much the destroyed look the map had. The best part of Bendak in this scn that makes me want the full Campaign soon with me. Definitely 6 but as i cannot put such a mark I give it 5.

Story/Instructions: 5
The story was the most dissapointing part of the scn. If you are a fun of the game I'm sure that you must had a story in your mind. The story dissapointed me but then I saw the Instrucitons. Good job. The instructions were very good and well placed, helping you very much to finish the scn. But I think you forgot to add some help hints f.e. some way to win the boss battles. But anyway the instructions were good. I hope in the full scenario you will have a story at least. Five ( 5 ) for the instructions and only for them.

Additional Comments:

I had to say that you are very talented and I think that the Half - Life Black Mesa North was just a piece of what you can do and what you can show us. The job was carefully made by you and the gameplay was one of the best I've ever see in SWGB.

WELL DONE!!! GREAT JOB by Bendak.

[Edited on 11/08/05 @ 04:57 PM]

Bendak
File Author
Thank you Bandon :).

Some comments on your review:

"The story was the most dissapointing part of the scn. If you are a fun of the game I'm sure that you must had a story in your mind. The story dissapointed me but then I saw the Instrucitons. Good job. The instructions were very good and well placed, helping you very much to finish the scn."

Well, I knew the lack of story. But then I thought that the original Half-Life has that lack too. So I did what Valve did, compensating the lack of story with cool cutscenes and mysterious events.

"But I think you forgot to add some help hints f.e. some way to win the boss battles."

Actually, I did include help for them in the instructions. If you read those clearly you should have known the weaknesses of each boss.

"WELL DONE!!! GREAT JOB by Bendak."

Thanks! I always love it if people like my scenario's!
Uriah Rennie
(id: Theo T)
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Outstanding.

Playability: 5
While still fitting into the genre of kill soldier, go through gate, kill soldier, go through gate etc., this campaign was enthralling. I found the whole experience extremely fun, from being blocked at doors and having to switch weapons to beat enemies to the Gargantuan at the end. The methods used to kill were completely unique, and in a class of their own.

Balance: 5
I found myself dying a couple of times before the end - just as I expected. I mean, I would expect to die in a base full of mutant-infested ruins! The enemies proved a worthy challenge, and in that forced you to use other tactics than simply wading in like Rambo - for instance, shoot and run, and the weapon switching appropriately. All in all, very well balanced, and a cause for actually thinking during the playing time.

Creativity: 5
This was the highest point of the scenario, and the base of the entire campaign - I would think. The ammo system was brilliant, the use of the "All Units" mod for effects brilliant, the innonative and well-though-out bosses were brilliant, and most of all - the best bit, the icing on top - Gman's voice. This little thing added the most to the scenario, and gave it the incredible feel and atmosphere of the finished product.

Map Design: 5
Wouldn't expect less from Bendak. Not much to say here - used mixed metals very well, and Gaia "Others" to great effect. Didn't look cluttered, but did look very wrecked. 5.

Story/Instructions: 5
The story was told clearly and thoroughly, and what I had to do next was easy to understand. As I said, the best is the Gman's narrative. So brilliant :D

Additional Comments: Great work. I look forward to more.
Bendak
File Author
Thanks for your review, Theo!

"the best bit, the icing on top - Gman's voice. This little thing added the most to the scenario, and gave it the incredible feel and atmosphere of the finished product."

I knew it! Took me alot work to get it right though.
Blood Phoenix Looks good Bendak, ill review shortly when i have the time to go through properly.

Seems interesting that Omni Designs have not reviewed, possibly jelous of Bendaks work?
Lord Plagueis
(id: Cradossk)
No. Because I have already reviewed this for the competetion. :p

And I'll post it later.
Ministry of Love
(id: Macko_91)
I hope it will be more fair that those reviews RC gave to FC :P

Xcal
(id: Xcaliber)
Actually BP, I've been playing a lot of Counter Strike...And I did play this, but I keep on dying. I'll review soon.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0