Please login or register

HeavenGames News
Moderated by Scipii, Alexastor, Lord_of_Hell

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Big Huge Games For Sale
posted 03-17-09 10:56 PM CT (US)   
A little over a year ago, THQ acquired Big Huge Games, the developers of the Rise of Nations and Rise of Legends franchises, but are now looking to sell the studio.

According to a statement released by THQ: "THQ informed the staff at its Big Huge Games studio in Timonium, MD, that it plans to close the studio if a sale is not completed in the near future. These actions were unfortunate but were necessitated by the difficult economic environment."

This is just one of the many cutbacks at THQ to recover from the current economic times and decreasing sales. Earlier, THQ laid off several BHG employees and they let go of their grasp on Heavy Iron Studios, the developers of WALL-E, and Incinerator Studios, the developers of Cars. Both studios are now independently run. THQ also has plans to slash 24% of its employees if the situation does not alleviate.

Apart from the Rise of... franchise, BHG released Catan for the Xbox Arcade back in May of 2007 and co-developed Age of Empires III's second expansion pack, The Asian Dynasties. The studio is currently working on their "Big Huge RPG" lead by game design veteran Ken Rolston, the lead designer of The Elder Scrolls III and IV. BHG job openings also hinted at a separate Wii title, although no further information has been released. Suspiciously, the BHG job openings are now restricted to the art and narrative teams instead of all the programming positions usually open - unsure if this is related to the possible closure or the fact that the positions were filled as I haven't checked their site in a couple weeks.

I really hope BHG can pull through and release their RPG. My heart can't take both ES and BHG shutting down. :/ Though maybe BHG will be like ES and only shut down in theory. BHG is a great team and they've always been great to HG and myself and have produced some magnificent titles. Best of luck!

[This message has been edited by Alex (edited 03-18-2009 @ 00:34 AM).]

Replies:
posted 03-18-09 03:25 AM CT (US)     1 / 15  
woah the two spiritual parents of my RTS career maybe both passing into history

[This message has been edited by One_Dead_Angel (edited 03-18-2009 @ 03:29 AM).]

posted 03-18-09 03:55 AM CT (US)     2 / 15  
stainless steel studios
ensemble studios
big huge games?

sucks for strategic games... i guess too many people are buying the fancy shallow RTTs or busy with their head up blizzard's....

anyways, i hope civilization is still going strong.. one of the few strategic games left
posted 03-18-09 08:01 PM CT (US)     3 / 15  
I think the RTS business is perfectly fine and won't suffer in the long-run. It's just the short-term (hopefully) effects of the economic crisis on the publishers that's getting the best of these studios. Think Majesty, Starcraft II, Dawn of Discovery, Tales of Valor, 0 AD, Dawn of Fantasy, Demigod, etc.

posted 03-18-09 08:23 PM CT (US)     4 / 15  
Very sad. Best wishes to all involved - and to all who've ever been involved - with BHG (Ensemble, too).
posted 03-18-09 10:55 PM CT (US)     5 / 15  
What? It's my favorite gaming company - ever .

posted 03-18-09 11:10 PM CT (US)     6 / 15  
:elpea:

If they are shutting down we will need to get a bunch of people to RoNH to throw a going away party.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
posted 03-20-09 11:13 PM CT (US)     7 / 15  
Not really surprised since RoL. After RoN, it was such an awful disappointment - the game was far worse than the promo material suggested, the multiplayer was bugged beyond belief, and the campaign didn't bear thinking about.

[This message has been edited by Evolved (edited 03-20-2009 @ 11:14 PM).]

posted 03-21-09 01:00 AM CT (US)     8 / 15  
Problem with RoL is that it didn't fix RoN's issues and went on to create more issues. But it was still a great game IMO.

posted 03-22-09 11:09 PM CT (US)     9 / 15  

BHG and Ensemble made the RTS games that got me into, and have kept me in, RTS gaming. I'm going to miss them. RoN and RoL were easily two of my favorite RTS's of all time.

"Apparently, arguing for the right to do something no-one wants to do is the lifeblood of HG." - TaylorFlame

"Whatever happened, BFME2H did it better. No Exceptions." - EnemyofJupitor
posted 04-13-09 09:35 AM CT (US)     10 / 15  
Another dev which makes deep, immersive games is biting the dust?

I see the curse of Microprose continues...
posted 04-17-09 05:21 PM CT (US)     11 / 15  
It's a sad day, indeed.

I hope somebody does save BHG. Or if not, that when the economy takes an upswing again, they can reform the old crew and put out more top-notch games.

It's not your fault, guys. "The market moves with a steely stride / and only fools and lepers guess its mind..."

Great games, good times. BHG deserves the best.
posted 05-27-09 02:10 PM CT (US)     12 / 15  
hopefully this topic is out of date!be aware that the big huge potato will continue floating,economic crisis or not!thanks to the kickass 38 studio for making it float.wanna more potato?here http://www.bighugegames.com/

big huge will never die... for now!
posted 05-27-09 02:11 PM CT (US)     13 / 15  
posted 05-27-09 02:21 PM CT (US)     14 / 15  
i'm really sorry but I "spammed" your post on the general discution,since it was much worth it.hope they'll perform another of the RON/ROL series.srry bad english im french
posted 05-27-09 02:29 PM CT (US)     15 / 15  
That's quite alright. I kind of doubt they will continue the Rise of... series. RoL came off as a bit of a blunder.

But we can hope.

HeavenGames » Forums » HeavenGames News » Big Huge Games For Sale
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
HeavenGames