posted 03-18-09 11:34 PM CT (US)   

5 Reasons to Play Rise of Legends
Written by Elpea
Edited by General_II and Alex

Rise of Legends is just one of those hidden gems that nobody seems to notice. Who can blame them though? When it came out, everyone still had their eyes on Age of Empires III and this brilliant title got pushed aside. Now with it going as low as $19.99 on Amazon.com, I thought I'd pull it out of the closet, dust it off, and load it up.

I was amazed at how beautiful, fun, and unique this game is, even three years after release. So, without further ado, here are five good reasons you should get this game today:

I. All the Fun of Rise of Nations, and More!

Big Huge Games’ first title, Rise of Nations, brought the RTS world a dozen new features that refreshed a genre that was running out of creativity. Critics gave it a dozen “Game of the Year” awards and the effort to create a new experience in the genre did not go unnoticed. Rise of Nations brought us national territories, city building (in real time), an amazing Conquer the World campaign and other game play mechanics that were unique to it. These new features added a mile of depth to the game, and happily made their way back to Rise of Legends.

The Conquer the World campaign now features a storyline and some new game play mechanics that make it all the more exciting. Fighting to expand your national borders takes a whole new level as you struggle for special buildings around each map, fending off its guardians and your enemies to acquire the building’s bonus. The city building aspect was toned down, but it’s still very deep as you pick which districts to add on to your cities as the game evolves and your city grows into a massive empire. Conquer neighboring territories and claim your enemies’ as your own to expand your empire or set up send tribute to ally with neighboring cities to set up trade routes.

RoN to RoL

II. Art Design

The art design in Rise of Legends has won it some awards, and rightfully so. The level of detail put into every building, every unit, and every terrain is unbelievable. It’s impossible to not be mesmerized by this game’s beauty. Your complex cities grow onto the land, so unique and beautiful and somehow believable. Screenshots will never do this game justice; you must play it to see it. Or perhaps GameSpy's "Special Achievement in Art Direction -- Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends" award will convince you.

III. Robot Spider and Glass Dragon

So your immense army is being outnumbered by your enemies. You’ve been saving up on buying new units to purchase that special secret weapon. Your enemy THINKS he’s about to win, when a gigantic goddamn STEAMPUNKROBOTIC SPIDER appears from underground and completely wipes his army clean. You think he’s going out that easily, huh? Oh noes! He’s got a HUGE GLASS DRAGON coming up, beaming light and burning your poor soldiers that survived the fight. Yeah, yah.

IV. Diverse Units and Civilizations

One complaint I had about Rise of Nations was how boring and uninteresting its units were. If a few of my soldiers died I would have no concern. It felt like I was losing a few pieces of papers in a play fight. In Rise of Legends, things change. Each unit is unique and deep. As if that wasn’t enough, there’s also a LOT of them. Unit variety is enormous and during the first few days of playing the game you’ll wonder if it’s even finite. The many strategies that spark up from this variety makes the game so much more interesting; it’s hard to ever get tired of it.
That's not even speaking of the Civilizations. I just don’t think it’s POSSIBLE for the civilizations in Rise of Legends to be more different than the other. You get a steam-punk themed Italian civilization with amazing Vinci-like structure and units, a magic themed Arabian Knights civilization with the power to summon entire armies from sand, and a Mesoamerican civilization that mixes extraterrestrial technology with the power of Mayan gods. When you mix it all together into gigantic armies of amazing unit and art design, you get teary eyes of enjoyment.

V. Unlimited Replay Value

While the artwork and Conquer the World campaign are superb, Rise of Legends' greatest asset may lie within its non-campaign game play. The game features just under four dozen distinct maps for your enjoyment. In opposition to the vast majority of RTS maps, RoL's maps are much more than mere duplicates of each other with a bit of environment variety. RoL’s maps feature varied player counts, secrets, resource scarcity, and play style (Supremacy, Nomad, Deathmatch, King of the Hill, Cat and Mouse-esque). The maps are beautifully decorated with lush forests, sandy deserts, ancient ruins and crypts, rail lines, rocky cliffs, glass walls and structures, lava pits, and sometimes even a legendary mother ship granting great rewards for the player controlling it. The varied environment, resource count, and starting attributes causes each map to require a different strategy - should I rush or build up a forward base behind the glass wall? On top of that, many of the maps are scattered with neutral computer players like the Dark Alin, Fallen Cuotl, or Raiders whom you can choose to attack and savage their city and gold or ally with to establish trade.

Although it’s hard to pick a single favorite out of this vast assortment, the ‘Coliseum’ map is pretty high up there. It's a quick, yet highly entertaining and strategic battle. In this map, the players battle to take the title "King of the Hill" by ensuring that their own units are the only ones in the arena and keep control of it for the designated time. All of these maps will provide you with hours of entertainment, leaving you wanting to come back for more again and again.

With Big Huge Games, the developers behind Rise of Legends at the brink of closure following the economic crisis and THQ layoffs, there's no better chance to buy RoL and show your support. Once again, the game can be purchased for just $19.99 and for purchasing it through HG's partnership with Amazon, 5-15% will be given to the HG network.

For more information, articles, discussion, and screenshots of Rise of Legends, be sure to check out Rise of Legends Heaven!