Please login or register

HeavenGames News
Moderated by Scipii, Alexastor, Lord_of_Hell

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: What Could Have Been - Big Huge Games' Cancelled Projects
posted 04-09-09 05:20 PM CT (US)   
A couple weeks ago, THQ put Big Huge Games up for sale following some financial hardships. If they could not sell the studio within 60 days, it would face closure.

The Protagonist in BHG's 'Ascendent'
Preparing for the worst, THQ has laid off over 45 BHG employers.

Today, BHG released some long-awaited information and media on their unannounced Wii title and their 'Big Huge RPG'. The Wii titles was to be named 'God: The Game.' Presumably, 'God' was not very far along as only concept art was released. It's hard to get a good idea of the game from this artwork, but it looked like an Animal Crossing-esque title. The 'Big Huge RPG' developed by Ken Rolston, the lead designer of Morrowing and Oblivion, was to be named 'Ascendent.' This game was in development for the PC, Xbox 360, and PS3. BHG released several pieces of concept art, screenshots, an a rough trailer showing that the studio had made massive progress since the game's conception when Rolston was hired back in February of 2007. BHG certainly didn't disappoint in presenting their award-winning artwork with beautiful towns, environments, and characters. This game looks like it would have had great potential and its a shame that it will be nothing more than a couple of screenshots. Both of these titles have been cancelled.

All the related media can be found at Kotaku.

Now, nearly 25 days into the sale, things are looking a bit more hopeful. Several studios have expressed interest in BHG. One of these studios is 38 Studios formed by Major League Baseball pitcher Curt Schilling. When contacted, 38 Studios refused to comment.

Replies:
posted 04-10-09 03:16 AM CT (US)     1 / 3  
Man i hope they get someone to buy the company so that BHG can complete their games, and rehire their team back. 45 people thats damn near half the staff if i am not mistaken. and probably the whole team when Rise of Nations was released.
posted 04-10-09 01:33 PM CT (US)     2 / 3  
I'm afraid most of the company's talent may have been hired elsewhere. They're so awesome and those games looked like games I'd buy =/.

posted 04-10-09 10:34 PM CT (US)     3 / 3  
If those numbers are accurate, it's close to one-third of their work force - they had somewhere in the ballpark of 120 employees Which is still obviously detrimental to these games. Oddly enough they're still hiring (paid) art interns. They used to always have dozens of open positions, now it's down to one. :/

HeavenGames » Forums » HeavenGames News » What Could Have Been - Big Huge Games' Cancelled Projects
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
HeavenGames