You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

HeavenGames News
Moderated by Scipii, Alexastor, Lord_of_Hell

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Thousands of Players Out of Service as GameSpy, Glu Mobile Pulls the Plug!
posted 12-08-12 07:36 PM CT (US)   
So earlier this week, the Rise of Nations Community has been shaken heavily due to the GameSpy Servers not allowing multiplayer services onto their "Powered By GameSpy" Platform. In Other words, we are no longer getting the "Power" from GameSpy.

So why did this happen? Well According to THIS LINK by SlashDot, Glu Mobile, who acquired GameSpy this summer, have been pulling the plug on many GameSpy Tech games, possibly for short-term monetary gains, at the obvious cost to thousands of players in all of these multiplayer games. Such games include Rise of Nations, SWAT 4, NeverWinter Nights 1 and 2, BattleStations: Midway, Mortal Kombat 9, Flight Simulator X (FSX), Lord of the Rings: War of the Ring, Tron 2.0, Halo CE, Axis And Allies.... just to name a few.

So what are Glu and Gamespy doing about this? As this reporter sees... absolutely nothing. Well... not only nothing... nothing AND the blame game.

Heres what GameSpy on Twitter reported in regards to Rise of Nations

Obviously they wont admit to any wrong doing, but they would rather blame the individual developers of all of these games? Do they only blame Microsoft? Nonono... no that would be too convenient wouldn't it? Here's what they said about Swat 4

And here's What They said about Crysis 2

So obviously not only are they not giving these thousands of players support, they aren't giving us dignified answers; no honesty to actually tell why the course of action they took was somehow the best solution in their minds, as to why the dismay of thousands of players around the world apparently do not deserve the gameplay action that they have rightfully enjoyed for years, uninterrupted by any capitalistic gains of the few.

I can only speak on behalf of the Rise of Nations Movement, as that encompasses a vast amount of my time for research for solutions and answers. As seen from the quote below, here is what "HELP" (and you'll see why I put that in quotation marks) people at GameSpy Arcade told one RoN Player looking for answers
<[Admin][HELP]Liquid>: it happens to all games
<[Admin][HELP]Liquid>: good evening AlistaClaus
<[Admin][HELP]Solid_Snake>: what has likely happend is the game publisher's contract has expired or they have stopped paying for the service

<[Admin][HELP]Liquid>: well if its server based they are pretty much out of luck
<[AS]_xAZTXx>: for good?
<[AS]_xAZTXx>: like out of luck for ever?
<[Admin][HELP]Liquid>: unless someone like steam picks up the old game like they did with some of the other games that have been around here
So once again, no definite answers form GameSpy (Blame Game), and just nicely telling us to "find a new game"... but they do bring up a point about Steam. There has been a movement for pushing Rise of Nations onto Steam, as shown HERE, which has started in July, but has gotten more traction since many games have been "Un-Powered by GameSpy"

Even Worse, Glu Mobile wont even create any sort of dialogue with anyone regarding this issue, in effect hiding this scandal under the rug at all costs possible, using GameSpy as a puppet to redirect any blame given on them. People who reportedly complained on the Glu Mobile Facebook page have been reported to be blocked from commenting, and their criticisms of the issue have been deleted. This, my friends, is called suppression of free speech, and shows a sense of complex "hush hush" business possibly going on at the Glu Mobile Offices.

So seems like the game-plan of Glu Mobile is to brace the backlash of the thousands of players affected by this outrageous course of action before things "settle down", only to save a little money at the expense of thousands. In my opinion, this is outrageous, and creates a precedent for other gaming platforms to purge other games for small monetary gains

More Information will be posted as more developments come in....

Pimp approved, master class!
Replies:
posted 12-12-12 03:03 PM CT (US)     1 / 12  
Hello, Voobly would be more than happy to have RoN and any other community that is without a place to play their game to join us. It is 100% free and ready to play.
http://www.voobly.com/games/view/Rise-of-Nations-TaP
posted 12-13-12 01:02 AM CT (US)     2 / 12  
A majority of AoKH players use Voobly as their online client. AoK probably makes up 85% or more of Voobly's games. The client is pretty decent. It has a messenger, rating system, and other features. Otherwise, I would have discredited the previous post as an advertising scheme (no hard feelings, Pine_Voobly).

~`o´~|\  Join the fresh and exciting AI Ladder for its fourth season!
´ `  |_\
       |    Learn the joy of AI scripting in my guide: The World of AI Scripting
______|______
 \        /
   .....Hinga Dinga Durgen! - SpongeBob
  `-=<.__.>=-´
posted 12-13-12 02:11 AM CT (US)     3 / 12  
Pine voobly should be VIPed should he not?

Leader and Trigger Artist of Mythic Studios
I need players for my Peloponnesian War RPG (Its Semi-Historical)
Now quit being a bitch and quote me in your signature like Yeebaagooon used to. ~Out Reach
posted 12-13-12 07:30 AM CT (US)     4 / 12  
Yes, if Voobly were to actually reuse accounts, rather than to create new ones for each thread.
posted 12-13-12 09:18 PM CT (US)     5 / 12  
Thanks for the generous offer Pine_Voobly, but RoN has temporarily moved to Tunngle for our multiplayer services (we had to act fast and it was our best option, and its been working great so far!)

However, there are a lot of GameSpy games out there that have stopped services to multiplayer games, so theres a HUGE market for Voobly to get into!

I can send you a list of games that have been cut off by Glu/Gamespy if you would like.

Pimp approved, master class!
posted 12-16-12 08:55 PM CT (US)     6 / 12  
Yes a list would be great! We are always looking for new communities to add. Thanks!
posted 12-18-12 12:31 PM CT (US)     7 / 12  
Looks like Glu Mobile may have killed off whats effectively Gamespy by effectively funding another company by cutting their funding....

....Tad ironic

Leader and Trigger Artist of Mythic Studios
I need players for my Peloponnesian War RPG (Its Semi-Historical)
Now quit being a bitch and quote me in your signature like Yeebaagooon used to. ~Out Reach
posted 03-17-19 10:51 PM CT (US)     8 / 12  
more information click here (url removed)

[This message has been edited by GillB (edited 03-18-2019 @ 08:36 AM).]

posted 03-18-19 03:30 AM CT (US)     9 / 12  
You are 6 years and 3 month too late with your spam.

"Cats are the only animals that are both uber, pwns and 1337 at the same time." -King Euric
By reading this fine print your soul is now the exclusive property of HeavenGames.
posted 03-02-20 04:52 PM CT (US)     10 / 12  
deleted

[This message has been edited by Maffia (edited 03-03-2020 @ 07:27 AM).]

posted 05-06-21 00:11 AM CT (US)     11 / 12  
One stop best convection microwave oven in India under 10000 with high quality service. Get
now!

[This message has been edited by Civis Romanus (edited 05-06-2021 @ 09:25 AM).]

posted 10-10-23 05:34 AM CT (US)     12 / 12  
spam

[This message has been edited by Maffia (edited 10-10-2023 @ 07:56 AM).]

HeavenGames » Forums » HeavenGames News » Thousands of Players Out of Service as GameSpy, Glu Mobile Pulls the Plug!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
HeavenGames