You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Modding
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, Epd999

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Is there a folder of original .ai files?
posted 06-15-19 02:08 AM ET (US)   
AOE comes with a file called "Death Match Carthage.ai", and the campaign "Fighting for Rome" includes a file by that name. (Here is the link to the campaign: http://aoe.heavengames.com/dl-php/showfile.php?fileid=854)
I am curious why the campaign includes that file. To the best of my memory, it was practically the same as the one that came with the game. I thought that it was needed to play the campaign, so I saved it on top of the one that came with my game. But I forgot to make a backup and want to see if I can get it back. For example, is there a folder of original .ai files? It looks to me like the only way to do that is to reinstall the whole game.

SOLUTION:
The vanilla version of AOE does not come with "Death Match Carthage.ai" as I thought, because this is a ROR file. So I didn't save it on top of the DATA folder's file like I thought I had.

[This message has been edited by rakovsky (edited 10-04-2019 @ 08:52 PM).]

Replies:
posted 06-15-19 02:33 AM ET (US)     1 / 12  
Not sure about this, but the case may be that there is a data folder on the RoR cd which contains the original files? Otherwise I don't think there'd be any backup.

//The warrior of Isola

"I lack quotes that demonstrate Humor Intelligence or anything about me."

Pineapplefish
Cleidopus gloriamaris
posted 06-15-19 11:19 AM ET (US)     2 / 12  
I know what you mean, Fisk. I didn't find them in the download files. Do you think that you could upload your copy of the file for me?

Here is a webpage where you can upload files like that to the internet for free without registering: http://www.tinyupload.com/

Maybe that webpage could be useful for you in the future - it has for me!
posted 07-15-19 01:57 PM ET (US)     3 / 12  
Ingo uploaded the files to the database, and he discussed them on Post #12 here:
http://aoe.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/aoecgi/display.cgi?action=st&fn=4&tn=6465&st=11#post12
=========================================================
INGO,
Thanks for posting the original AOE Deathmatch Carthage file. It looks like the one that I downloaded and saved over it had serious changes.

Whereas the original one belongs to Ensemble and is dated 7/18/1998, the one I downloaded is headed:
AoeEdit v1.2.0 - By MHoenie. http://www.xmission.com/~mhoenie/aoe
//
// AI [Artificial-Intelligence] File.
//
// AI Name: An Attack from Hannibal
// Civilization Created For : Phoenician
// Author: Boba Fett
// Created : 8/28/98

Whereas the original one has for the Stone Age
U83 Man 5 109
T83 Man 4 109

The one that I downloaded just has
U83 Man 4 109

There are alot of other changes too, although I don't understand them.

[This message has been edited by rakovsky (edited 07-15-2019 @ 02:57 PM).]

posted 07-16-19 03:49 PM ET (US)     4 / 12  
Glad to be of help! Is there any other information you need?
posted 07-17-19 01:22 AM ET (US)     5 / 12  
No, that was pretty good.
There is a map called Mediterranean Sea that is in the Granary Database. It doesn't work on my computer, and I wonder what the problem could be. You can have a look at it here:
http://aoe.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/aoecgi/display.cgi?action=ct&f=1,6763,,10

I have about finished a scenario about Jesus during Easter Week and am debating in my mind whether to upload it now as a scenario or wait until I am done making a campaign that includes it.
Your comments are pretty helpful.
posted 07-17-19 05:54 AM ET (US)     6 / 12  
The author says he created the maps with Age of Kings (AoE2). In that case that file should not be in the AoE1 Granary and was wrongly uploaded there; it should rather be at the "Blacksmith" at AOK Heaven. I am surprised you were able to play any of the included AoE2 maps without crashing your AoE1, I would expect crashes with all of them...

As for the scenario vs campaign, that would be a very individual decision only you can take. If you feel highly motivated to continue until you have a full campaign, and are sitting on the editor these days, wait until you have the campaign together. If you have doubts if you will have the energy to finish more than one scenario, consider uploading it as a standalone-scenario or one-scenario campaign.
posted 07-17-19 11:30 AM ET (US)     7 / 12  
Ingo,
I think that the "8 Real World Maps" were made with AOE1, since they had Players pre-selected as Babylonian, Greek, etc. A different user posted a link to an AOE2 scenario in the Comments section, and I think you might have gotten that confused with the "8 Real" AOE1 maps.
posted 07-17-19 08:38 PM ET (US)     8 / 12  
I'm surprised we even accepted that download but I supose it's in there now. As for civilizations, you can think of it as each civ being represented by an ID in the scenario data file. So for instance if you have player 1 being Egyptian, that civ has ID 1. If you load the same scenario into AoK that civ would change into Britons, as they have the first ID in AoK. Still there are a number of stability issues that can results from moving scenarios between the games, crashes aren't uncommon even though simpler maps without units are usually fine.

//The warrior of Isola

"I lack quotes that demonstrate Humor Intelligence or anything about me."

Pineapplefish
Cleidopus gloriamaris
posted 07-19-19 04:57 PM ET (US)     9 / 12  
That makes sense, Fisk. But the author did not say that he made the "8 Real Maps" (which I was asking about) with Age of Kings.
I'm sure that Ingo was misreading the "8 Real Maps" webpage. In fact, a different commentor posted a link to his own Age of Kings scenarios on that same page.

So I think that the maps were made with AOE1.
posted 07-20-19 07:47 AM ET (US)     10 / 12  
rakovsky, you are right - I misread that because of the author‘s name Brainless_AOKH and another comment saying „created with Age of Kings“. My mistake, sorry about that!
posted 07-20-19 08:11 PM ET (US)     11 / 12  
It's OK.
posted 12-19-19 12:29 PM ET (US)     12 / 12  
This script should do a few things: 1. It creates a pdf file from an .ai file using adobe illustrator. 2. It then runs that pdf file through an automator workflow, which then spits out a pdf into a folder on my desktop. 3. It then moves that pdf file from the desktop, back to the folder of the original .ai file.
snaptube telegram web

[This message has been edited by awerto (edited 12-19-2019 @ 05:38 PM).]

Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Modding » Is there a folder of original .ai files?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames