Back to Age of Empires Heaven Welcome to The Granary (Download Central)
Welcome
Downloads Home
Review Guidelines
Main site
Forums
Code of Conduct
Search

Advanced Search
Rise of Rome: Single Player Campaigns
Home
New Releases
New Reviews
New Comments
Top-Rated

Submit File
Browse Categories
New Files

Rise of Rome: Single Player Campaigns » The History of Ancient Jerusalem (1070 - 607 B.C.E)

Download File Post Review Post Comment

The History of Ancient Jerusalem (1070 - 607 B.C.E)

Author File Description
Rabbit_Pie
File Details
Number of Scenarios: 3
Difficulty: Easy-Mod
This campaign charts the history of the city of Jerusalem from it's capture by King David in 1070 B.C.E down to the Babylonian army sacking it in 607 B.C.E. It is quite brief but many incidents in it's history are pretty much the same anyway, so I have just picked out the highlights. The next campaign will be coming soon, and should cover from 607 B.C.E down to the Roman Army destroying it in 70 C.E. There are some more detailed notes included. Enjoy.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
OldGrex
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance3.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions3.0
A campaign with great potential - and important flaws. Very fine terrain map. Superb story and nice bitmaps. Balance generally quite good. The problem in the first scenario is that you lose if you destroy the Jebusite enemy army, but you are given no hint not to do this, and they are very aggressive. I solved this problem on the fourth try by triple-walling-in their last soldier, declaring him my ally, and letting him hack away while I went about my real mission. In the second scenario, the hints tell you that you don't have to destroy the Hittite enemy - well, that's wrong. They are by far the most aggressive and powerful of the 4 enemy tribes; after losing to them 3 times, I rushed them at the very beginning with my initial force of 3 cav and 3 infantry plus some horse archers I built, slaughtering every peasant, and this worked fine. In the 3rd scenario, which calls for escape from a city under seige, a creative solution is available, but luck is too important to victory. You have to work very fast, and hope a very active enemy doesn't find and destroy your Wonder - which you cannot protect - before you reach safety. It was 9 tries 'til the .ai gods smiled on me. In all, the campaign is well-conceived, but irritating to play. It's good, but it could easily have been great.
rakovsky To switch quickly to the second mission to get a quick look at it, I used the Home Run cheat while playing the first mission in my Rise of Rome program. This gives a "Victory" screen and then normally would unlock the next scenario in the Campaign. But for some reason, despite beating the first scenario in this way, the second scenario did not unlock. So in order to get a chance to load up the second and third scenarios, I re-saved them in my Scenario folder using the "Campaign Manager 3" program.

Just looking briefly at the scenarios, my main criticism is that you are set to play the Israelites as an East Asian civilization, which changes your architecture to the East Asian style. This of course conflicts with the Israelites' actual building style. IMO the best style would be the Palmyran one, but if the designer was worried about any statues in the Palmyran buildings (due to the Israelites' prohibition on idolatry), then the Egyptian or Sumerian civilizations would work.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance3.0
Creativity4.0