Back to Age of Empires Heaven Welcome to The Granary (Download Central)
Welcome
Downloads Home
Review Guidelines
Main site
Forums
Code of Conduct
Search

Advanced Search
Age of Empires: Single Player Scenarios
Home
New Releases
New Reviews
New Comments
Top-Rated

Submit File
Browse Categories
New Files

Age of Empires: Single Player Scenarios » The Stadium of Tiberius

Download File Post Review Post Comment

The Stadium of Tiberius

Author File Description
Ben Garvey
File Details
Difficulty: Easy
This is the first scenario I've ever seen that is a chariot race between you and Tiberius. There is a nice crowd to see the race also. It is really neat.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
SpineMan This is a map with a very cool idea but no real way to implement it. It is a one lap race around a stadium like the movie Ben Hur. The computer just doesn't get it though. It was very easy to move my chariot ahead of the computer and win the race. Plus, the race was pretty short. The stadium was nicely designed and it looked cool. I think this would make an awesome 8-player map if you had a long a winding track to race on. I know that kind of ruins the stadium idea but a circle doesn't make good enough game play. A chariot race is a cool idea though. Good creativity!

[Edited on 12/30/04 @ 01:52 AM]

skald
Rating
Breakdown
Playability2.0
Balance1.5
Creativity3.5
Map Design3.5
Story/Instructions2.5
The Stadium of Tiberius

Playability: 2. First time, Tiberius attacked my racer and killed him. I lost.
Second time, I got to the finish line ahead of Tiberius but I went into the wrong chute and lost.
Third time, got ahead of Tiberius and won.

Balance: 1.5. Tiberius appears to be either racing or just following me stabbing my chariot in the rear, but since I start ahead of him and our speeds are equal, I am bound to win if I avoid fighting him (he's a hero).

Creativity: 3.5. Nice idea, especially suited to the time period of Age of Empires. Definitely not your average random map build and destroy.

Map: 3.5. Nice map, good looking field with a complicated infield and nice stands for the spectators.

History etc.: 2.5. Cute story and comments for win and loss.

Comments: This is a nice idea that occurs naturally to many designers in many platforms. It's especially appropriate here. But without triggers it's pretty hard to implement. There is a single lap race implemented by a civilian designer over in Starcraft, I think it's Raynor in a viper competing, but Starcraft has triggers. It would be a very interesting challenge to make a race work here in AoE. It might require tweaking the ai. If I find such a race that actually works in my journey through old scenarios I will update this review for information.

rakovsky
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance3.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Playability: 5
It's very easy to win, you just race ahead of Tiberius.

Balance: 3
In Single Player, Tiberius has no chance as long as you move your piece toward the goal, because his character is not set to do anything but attack you, not actually to race to the goal. This problem is irrelevant in multiplayer though.

Creativity: 5
Pretty creative idea to make a race map.

Map Design: 5
Good fun design with spectators. I don't know that there is a way to do this kind of race map without a wall dividing most of the middle of the stadium.

Story/Instructions: 4
OK story, except: In real life, Tiberius was a Roman emperor who had earlier been a Roman general. So why would Tiberius be in Persia if he is Roman?

Additional Comments:
It's not perfect in multiplayer either since the Red Player has a head start ie starts a bit closer to the goal and ahead of the other player.

To make a perfectly equal multiplayer game, I guess you would need to have the two units racing in only straight parallel lines. And to start an equal distance from the end. The track would have to be basically two straight lines, line line per player. The reason is that the Players would have to race the same distance and start the same distance from their own endpoints. When you have a round track, that is harder to do.

Still, I played this Scenario on Multiplayer on Voobly today and really liked it. As Player 1, I won once, and a few other times I lost to two people.

[Edited on 09/21/20 @ 12:01 PM]

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.5
Balance2.3