Back to Age of Empires Heaven Welcome to The Granary (Download Central)
Welcome
Downloads Home
Review Guidelines
Main site
Forums
Code of Conduct
Search

Advanced Search
Age of Empires: Multi Player Scenarios
Home
New Releases
New Reviews
New Comments
Top-Rated

Submit File
Browse Categories
New Files

Age of Empires: Multi Player Scenarios » AoE+RoR Co-op campaigns

Download File Post Review Post Comment

AoE+RoR Co-op campaigns

Author File Description
thebenzeboi
File Details
No. of Players: 2
Difficulty: Moderate
Version: Age of Empires
Make sure to read the instructions that are in the file. There's some special stuff in there that you need to know before starting the co-op madness.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
ephestion Why did you save the AOE scenarios in ROR format? I am using the Revisited patch and wanted to include fun scenarios with the new release of the mod. However, they need to be in AOE scn format.
thebenzeboi
File Author
I used the Campaign Manager to pry the campaign files into separate scenarios, which i then edited in-game. Because i was using ROR to do the edits, it saved them as .SCX files. So i can't really do anything about that :/
rakovsky The Instructions says that for Gameranger:
"Make sure that your friend is always the bottom player in the lobby and the last in the numerical/color value. It's not enough that the friend only picks the appropriate color, since the game assigns the "stats" according to the lobby position (Starting age, resources, etc.). It can be done (at least in Gameranger) by kicking your friend after launching the game by assigning an AI player over them. (you'll be prompted to kick them) Set the rest of the AI according to the scenario, and invite your friend back in when you're done."

However, on Voobly this is not a problem. If I am Player 1 and choose Yellow (3), then I become Player 3 in the game with Player 3's resources.

[Edited on 12/14/20 @ 06:37 PM]

rakovsky
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.5
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design3.5
Story/Instructions3.0
I am basing my review on the Pax Romana Campaign, which is the only one that I played so far among the 11 Scenario Pack folders included in this download. They are the official game campaigns and scenarios of AOE1 and AOE:ROR.

------------------------------

Playability: 3.5

All scenarios that I played were reasonably winnable. However, 3 out of the 5 scenarios that I played were designed with disadvantages for the Human Players' team compared to the Human Player's setup in the Single Player game. Perhaps the Designer did not intend these important differences, and they were not explained in the instructions. This flaws made the scenarios' parameters and objectives sometimes confusing.

For instance in Ctesiphon, the third scenario of PAX ROMANA, the Designer set Player 6's VC to "None" and the Global Victory setting to "Conquest". So the Human Team has to destroy all of Player 6's enemies, including P1's ally Ctesiphon, which contradicts both the Instructions and the mission's story line.

The "Year of the Four Emperors" and "Coming of the Huns" scenarios had these kinds of Map Design and instructions issues as I discussed below in the Additional Comments section. Eg. in "Year of the Four Emperors," Player 1 must be the one who builds the Human Teams' two total Colosseums/Wonders, even though the instructions don't specify this.

Balance: 5
The balance was fine because it matched those in the original game campaign. Having two players makes the game easier in general, but the Designer tended to avoid duplicating the starting units and buildings, and typically divided them between the two players. The Designer also included what I consider flaws at times that made the game more challenging for the Human players, but not too challenging, and so this made up in terms of balance for there being two Human allied players.

Creativity: 5

I thought that turning the original scenarios into Coops was a very creative idea. It must have taken alot of time as well to edit all those files.

Map Design: 3.5

When the Designer introduced the second Human Player, he sometimes failed to make things for that player the same way that they were for the original Single Player, like giving the second Human Player the same VCs as those of Player 1, and then he failed to mention such divergences in the Instructions screen as I mentioned. Still, the scenarios were reasonably winnable and were otherwise good replicas of the original scenarios.

Story/Instructions: 3.0

As I mentioned under Map Design, in the process of adding in a second Human Player, the Designer sometimes added in differences from the Single Player original campaign that created a disadvantage for the Human team while failing to mention these issues in the instructions.

Further, in Voobly's and Gameranger's Multiplayer Setup Screens for each match, you need to set the Players' Civilizations to correspond to those that the Scenario Editor has them set to. The instructions should have included the list of Civilizations for each player for each scenario.

Additional Comments:
The Instructions says that for Gameranger:
"Make sure that your friend is always the bottom player in the lobby and the last in the numerical/color value. It's not enough that the friend only picks the appropriate color, since the game assigns the "stats" according to the lobby position (Starting age, resources, etc.). It can be done (at least in Gameranger) by kicking your friend after launching the game by assigning an AI player over them. (you'll be prompted to kick them) Set the rest of the AI according to the scenario, and invite your friend back in when you're done."

However, on Voobly this is not a problem. If I am Player 1 and choose Yellow (3), then I become Player 3 in the game with Player 3's resources.

I am listing below the Civilizations that you must assign to each Player in the Multiplayer Staging Screen, along with other information that you need in order to win the scenarios. I am also putting the difficulty levels at which I was beat the Coop scenarios.

PAX ROMANA CO-OP CAMPAIGN NOTES

Actium
Players: 1. Octavian (Roman Human) & 5. (Roman Human Ally) vs.
AI Players: #2 Roman, #3 Egyptian, #4 Egyptian
I Beat it on Hard with my Ally Frostydonkey as Player 5

------------------

Year of the Four Emperors
Players: #1 Roman. & #5 Roman. (Human Players) vs.
#2 Greek, #3 Palmyran, #4 Macedonian.
I beat it on Moderate with my Ally Swiftblaster.
It should be made clear that:
1. The Blue Player must be the one who places their Colosseum where the enemy Wonder was. It does not count if your Orange Human Ally puts a Colosseum there.
2. You must also destroy all three enemies, even though you do not have to in the original Single Player game, and even though the instructions don't mention this difference. This is because the Orange Player has no Victory Condition set in this Coop version, so his VCs default to the Standard Victory Condition or Conquest.

------------------

Ctesiphon
Players #1 (Roman Human) and 6. (Human) vs.
2. Persian, 3. Palmyran, 4. Persian, 5. Persian, 6. Roman.
I beat it as Player 1 while allied with my Newbie friend Ryan Robinson on MODERATE. It should be made clear that:
1. Only #1 is allied with your chests'/arks' goal city, Ctesiphon (Orange Player 5), meaning that only Player 1 can deliver the chest into the city without having to fight the city.
2. The Designer set Player 6's VC to None and the Global Victory setting to Conquest. As a result, you have to destroy all of Player 6's enemies, even P1's ally Ctesiphon, even though the instructions don't mention this.

------------------

Queen Zenobia
Players: 1. Roman (Human), 2. Palmyran, 3. Palmyran, 4. Palmyran, 5. Roman (Human)
I beat it as Player 5 with my ally 'TCM Apostate Lv.4' on HARD. We defeated all 3 enemies, although perhaps we only needed to defeat Player 2 to meet the Objective.

------------------

Coming of the Huns
Players 1 (Roman) and 6 (Roman) are the Human Players vs.
2. Hittite, 3. Hittite, 4. Palmyran, 5. Persian
I beat it as Player 6 with my ally 'TCM Apostate Lv.4' on HARDEST.

There are in fact two ways to beat this scenario:
1. Destroy the Red Player #2, or 2. Blue or Green can build a Wonder.

In this scenario, the AI Players 2-5 should not be locked or set as a "team" (eg. as Team 2) because the Huns need to be able to change their stance to Player 1 depending on whether Player 1 sends Tribute. If Player 1 intends to Send tribute, then Player 1 should build a Market of his own.

In Single Player you are Player #1 and don't have to fight Red until you stop paying tribute or unless you need to interfere with his building a Wonder. This is because in Single Player, Blue loses as soon as Red's Wonder is complete and Red's Wonder timer runs out regardless of whether P1 and Red are allied.
In this Coop version, although the Red Player allies with Blue depending on whether Blue sends Tribute, Red is set from the start to "enemy" against the Green Human Player, Player #6, who can't affect this status by paying Tribute. So in the Coop version, Red will attack the Green Player, #6, and the Green Player can't use the same trick strategy that the Blue Player can of sending forces into the Red base while maintaining an alliance with the Red Player and then attacking the Red Player suddenly from within the Red base. As part of this strategy, Player 1 can also wall himself into Red's base for protection from the Yellow and Orange players and then build a Wonder inside the Red Base. So the Blue Player can wait until he has troops at Red's wonder before attacking Red, but Green cannot use this strategy.

In this scenario, there is also a trick where the Blue Player can build a wall around Red's Wonder so that Red does not complete the Wonder. In that case, Blue must keep feeding Red tribute until he is ready to fight red or ready to build a wonder. This is because in the Editor, the Red Player 2 only has the Standard VC, meaning that he need only destroy his enemies or build a Wonder.

If the Human Players try to win by having one of them build a Wonder, I think that Players 1 and Player 6 might need to switch the Huns to neutral or enemy before or after their Blue or Green Wonder's timer runs out. I say this because P1, P2, and P6 have "Allied Victory" set to "On," and because the Huns have the Green Player #6 set as their enemy.

[Edited on 12/14/20 @ 06:45 PM]

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.5
Balance5.0