Back to Age of Empires Heaven Welcome to The Granary (Download Central)
Welcome
Downloads Home
Review Guidelines
Main site
Forums
Code of Conduct
Search

Advanced Search
Real World Maps
Home
New Releases
New Reviews
New Comments
Top-Rated

Submit File
Browse Categories
New Files

Real World Maps » 7 Real World Maps

Download File Post Review Post Comment

7 Real World Maps

Author File Description
Granite_Rocks
(id: S_Bishop)
These are geographical maps that I had made while creating my Ages of Mankind campaign. They include Mediterranean West, Mediterranean Central, Mediterranean East, the Upper Middle East, Anatolia and its southern sea, Canaan, and Alaska.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Fisk
(id: Fruktfisk)
Staff
These are really neat and have a classical design wibe to them. Resources are placed in a tactical way as well, so I could imagine placing some TC:s in logical places for a unique MP experience. I should definitely check out the campaign.

[Edited on 01/11/19 @ 02:14 PM]

rakovsky
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.7
Balance4.0
Creativity4.5
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions4.5
Playability: 4.7
There were no Playability problems on Single Player, since you just need to add Players and it was meant as a Player-less map. Personally though, I think it's better when a designer gives you a version of a map where the Players are set in their historical locations.

On MULTIPLAYER on AOE:ROR, the Middle East (North) Map, which is set for 8 Players, froze-crashed 15 minutes into the game when I played it with another player named Feroe on Game Ranger. While the game was freezed, he quit, and then after he quit, the map unlocked, but at that point, the game becomes rather moot since, it's no longer a Multiplayer map. This has been a common experience playing with Custom Real World Maps that have 8 Players on them on Multiplayer. I expect that it will work when I play it on AOE:DE on Multiplayer.

Balance: 4
This is one of my main criticisms, in that some Players will start in locations where there are no berries nearby, giving them a major starting disadvantage. This is due to their random placement, as the Map doesn't include Player locations. An example of a real world map that does include the starting locations is "8 real world maps".

Creativity: 4.5
It was very creative to make maps that corresponded to real world regions. The designer also did a good job adding a full range of natural resources, and plenty of them. However, I think that there should be more changes in elevation in at least some maps like the Middle East (North) one.

Map Design: 4
The design was mostly good in that it corresponded to real regions. But it had a drawback in that some parts are skewed in shape or distorted in size. In particular, the "Middle East (North)" Map looks really skewed and distorted, with the Iraq-Iran border, as well as the Levant looking much too small. It has not much of Greece and no Crete.

Story/Instructions: 4.5
It was nice that the maps included an instruction story line. But they were just maps and so didn't require anything more.

============

Additional Comments:

- "Mediterranean East" Map runs from Greece in the west to the Dead Sea in the east.

- "Canaan" Map runs from western Jordan to the Mediterranean Sea, but doesn't have the Sinai or Lebanon.

- "Middle East (North)" runs from Eastern Bulgaria to western Iran. I beat it on Single Player on MODERATE difficulty. The Players' Civilizations are:
Player #1. Macedonia v. #2. Macedonian v. #3. Babylonian v. #4. Assyrian v. #5. Macedonian v. #6. Hittite v. #7 Phoenician v. #8. Sumerian

Playing the "Middle East (North)" map on AOE1DE on MULTIPLAYER, I as P2 (Macedonian) beat Sonictimm as P1 and the AIs on STANDARD. Sonictimm told me that when the scenario began, he started very close to the Bablyonian Player (Player 4) - so close that his Storage Pit was farther away than the enemy's TC for him. This is due to the Random placement of the Players on Multiplayer. SonicTimm considers himself a rusty rookie and did pretty well, sending waves of academy units and elephants with catapults and cavalry into my base, which I met with similar forces + ballistas and towers. I thought a few times that I might lose or wear out. All the while I was spreading villagers around the map and probably had 25-35 villagers, even though for the 50 population limit I would have expected to have 22. I just needed to pump out villagers to keep up with the demands of replenishing my forces and researching Techs. I tasked them focusing on hunting, berries, and fish with fishing ships instead of farming. Finally I researched Centurions and the Purple AI took out his main base around 1 hr 12 minutes into the match. He jokingly told me to "join the party" as I attacked his base at the same time the AIs did.

These maps are used in slightly modified versions for the "Age of Man III" Campaign scenarios "Bronze Age Collapse", "Alexander the Great", and "Monotheism" scenarios, respectively.

In S_Bishop's Ages of Mankind campaign, The "Mediterranean East" Map and "Canaan" Map are historical, rather standard 1 vs All scenarios. The Alexander the Great scenario that uses the "Middle East (North)" Map only lets you build naval and siege forces, so I made a scenario with that map that puts Players in their historical locations with Standard victory goals. That way Players can try this map in a historical setting that uses the Standard style of mission objectives and fighting:
"Middle East (North) Map with Roman-Parthian Wars"
http://aoe.heavengames.com/dl-php/showfile.php?fileid=2747

[Edited on 07/03/21 @ 10:37 AM]

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown