Back to Age of Empires Heaven Welcome to The Granary (Download Central)
Welcome
Downloads Home
Review Guidelines
Main site
Forums
Code of Conduct
Search

Advanced Search
Rise of Rome: Single Player Scenarios
Home
New Releases
New Reviews
New Comments
Top-Rated

Submit File
Browse Categories
New Files

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Gethsemane

Author File Description
rakovsky
File Details
Difficulty: Easy
Version: Rise of Rome
Author: Rakovsky
Date of submission: 7/23/2019
AOE1 or ROR: ROR
Single Player or Multiplayer: Single Player
Version: 3.0

This is the first scenario that I've made my own map for. I made it for a campaign. I made it with ROR "U Patch" and it works on my own computer, but I want to see how it fares on others'.

In order to play this scenario, you must be Player 3 (Yellow), so you must play it by starting it from the Single Player Scenario menu.

In Version 3.0, I made it so that when you get a Victory, it doesn't say that your allies are defeated. Also, you can't build military buildings other than barracks.

AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
rakovsky
File Author
NOTE: THIS MAP WAS MADE FOR THE RISE OF ROME VERSION.

This is a simple scenario. It is one in a Series of Scenarios that I made about early Christianity that can be found in the Heaven Games Granary:

1. Gethsemane (30-33 AD)
2. Conversions and Catacombs of Rome (41-62 AD)
3. Thomas' Mission to Indo-Parthia (46-51 AD)
4. Abgar V's Mesopotamian Campaign (49 AD)
5. Nero's Persecution (64-67 AD)
6. Josephus Takes Command of Eastern Galilee (66 AD)
7. Josephus Retakes Tiberias (66 AD)
8. Nero's Killing (68 AD)
9. Domitian's Persecution (93-96 AD)
10. Domitian's Killing (96 AD)
11. Journey to Edessa (177-212 AD)

[Edited on 07/05/21 @ 11:39 AM]

Granite_Rocks
(id: S_Bishop)
Hey good job on making this level. I was able to finish it. It's neat to see a scenario from the Bible. I'm working on a level about Cyrus the Great and him helping to rebuild the temple of Solomon in Jerusalem.
rakovsky
File Author
Nice. Simplicity in designing your own missions is one of the special features of AOE1.

[Edited on 08/12/19 @ 10:04 PM]

AugustoSapienti
Rating
Breakdown
Playability1.0
Balance1.0
Creativity2.0
Map Design3.8
Story/Instructions2.0
I'm sorry, but this scenario is just not good.

1. There is no action whatsoever. Nobody attacks you, and pretty much nobody moves, at all. They are just standing still while you're supposed to find some people, among some other boring tasks, such as pushing around a few gazeles.
2. The scenario is VERY basic, even tho the author made some efforts to replicate Jerusalem, which is why I am giving him some points in map design, but the result is still just a few walls and buildings here and there.
You have just one villager and you're supposed to roam the stage looking for berries, cutting wood and, for whatever reason, you also need to create a couple soldiers.
3. The instructions are confusing and the map doesn't really help. I had to go to the scenario editor to see where things actually were, and even after doing so, I couldn't help wandering around, because I wasn't winning.

In fact, I wasn't able to win. The instructions said that I should meet the angel with my soldier and disciples. What disciples? I trained a priest to transform some units, in an attempt to find some "disciples" (not mentioned in the instructions), and the priest got killed because the civilization changed diplomacy to enemy and killed me. So I gave up.

Even if I was able to win, the experience would have still been the same. There is no fun in gathering resources with just one villager and roaming a simplistic and mostly empty stage.

I meant no disrespect to the author. I downloaded the stage with an open mind, looking to have fun and to drop a constructive criticism, but I just can't give it a higher rating because it would be misleading. I understand it's not easy to make a story about Jesus, but here's the scenario, it didn't have any rating, and now it does.
rakovsky
File Author
Augusto,
Thanks for replying.

When I made the Scenario, I wanted your Player's color to be Yellow. The only way to do this in AOE1 is to make you play as Player #3.

Since you said that you only had one villager and played it in the Scenario Editor, I take it that you were playing as Player 1, which is who the Editor always forces you to be when you click "Test" in the Editor.

In order to play the scenario correctly, you need to launch it from your Single Player -> "Scenarios" menu in your AOE1 game and play the scenario as Player 3 (Yellow).

I included a Walkthrough in the README file. As Player 3 you start with about 11-12 villagers.

Historically there was a little fighting in Gethsemane, but no one got killed, so it's practically impossible to replicate that fight in AOE1 in terms of Victory Conditions beyond what I did.

In AOE2, there is actually a "Gethsemane" scenario with the fight scene:
http://aok.heavengames.com/blacksmith/lister.php?search=gethsemane
When I made my AOE1 scenario, I had not yet known about the AOE2 scenario.

In my opinion, the AOE1 Gethsemane scenario is nice just to give a little drama play about Holy Week as historically accurate.

[Edited on 06/26/21 @ 04:06 PM]

rakovsky
File Author
MAPMAKING CHALLENGES

1. One problem or quandary that I had while making this was the fact that Jesus in most of the scenario's story is a walking figure, but in His entrance on Palm Sunday, He rode on a donkey into the city.

The way that I resolved this was that I had you find a riding unit and ride it into the city, but you also have a 12th Villager, representing Jesus throughout the scenario, and I told the reader to chalk up the inconsistency to artistic license. I wrote in the README: "Just imagine that the horse switched riders at the Barracks, or that your meeting in Gethsemane is happening at a later time."

I guess the idea of the horse switching riders is the best way to resolve it.

2. A second problem was that Jesus drove out the moneychangers but did not kill them. Yet the only unit that you can drive out without having to fight them to the death is the villager unit. Yet if I use a villager unit for the Moneychangers and put him on the Passive Personality, then sometimes the villager unit stays until you drive him out and sometimes he leaves the Temple on his own.

[Edited on 07/25/21 @ 05:42 PM]

rakovsky
File Author
I thought about using Den cekke's Unique Wonders Mod to add a special temple for Jerusalem, but there are a few things that hold me back:

1. Den cekke's Mod uses the Temple of Solomon, but the 1st century Jerusalem had the "Second Temple", which replaced Solomon's. Still, our recreations of them in art look roughly similar.
2. I expect that most players aren't going to install a special Mod to play my Scenario, although I could make two separate scenario files, one for the Mod and one without it. In general, I think that fewer Mods are better when making scenarios.
3. The current version of the scenario as I have it is OK and uses a standard AOE ROR temple building.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability1.0
Balance1.0
Creativity2.0