Back to Age of Empires Heaven Welcome to The Granary (Download Central)
Welcome
Downloads Home
Review Guidelines
Main site
Forums
Code of Conduct
Search

Advanced Search
Age of Empires: Single Player Campaigns
Home
New Releases
New Reviews
New Comments
Top-Rated

Submit File
Browse Categories
New Files

Age of Empires: Single Player Campaigns » Drusus and Tiberius, Version 2

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Drusus and Tiberius, Version 2

Author File Description
rakovsky
File Details
Number of Scenarios: 2
Difficulty: Mod-Hard
Version: Age of Empires
Campaign Title: Drusus and Tiberias, Version 2
Original Campaign Designed by: Richard Ames
Edited and submitted as Version 2 by: Rakovsky
Date of Campaign Version 2: 8/28/2020
# of scenarios: 2
Difficulty level: Moderate-Hard
Designed for: AOE Version 1.0c, Single Player

RICHARD AMES' SUMMARY:

This is a single scenario campaign [Version 2 puts the scenario into two chapters] where you play as Tiberius, a young man who is later to become the second Roman Emperor. You have a small base camp near the river, and a supply camp to the south west. The enemy is in close proximity to you so you may face attacks early on from two different fronts. You must also watch over your brother Drusus and his camp, on the other side of the map. Your objective in the campaign is nothing less than to subdue the rebellious tribes, and turn them into Roman provinces, and you, Tiberius, must lead from the front.

Play time is roughly an hour.

RICHARD'S NOTES

* This was designed for AoE. If you play it in Rise of Rome I will cry

* Although this is a short mission, it can be quite difficult. Not recommended for rookie players.

*There is plenty of reading there for you. The readme, history, and instructions are all optional, but you will need to read the hints and study the bitmap carefully to understand the mission.

RAKOVSKY'S GAMEPLAY NOTES:

This Campaign is designed for Age of Empires 1.0c, rather than on AOE 1.0 or on "Rise of Rome." The main problem with playing it on AOE 1.0 is that AOE 1.0's Pathfinding is relatively primitive and this Scenario has alot of "eye candy", with objects like trees, stumps, rocks, and allied units on or next to your own units' paths.

The problem with playing it on ROR is that ROR gives your Player the technology of map sharing with allies, and this reveals the bases of the Yellow Player who is put in the Scenario's setting to be your "Ally" so that he will not attack your units, just the units of your main ally, the aqua Drusus AI Player. But the Yellow player is the Vendelici Tribe, who in the Scenario's story is actually your Roman team's enemy. Another problem with playing it in ROR is that map sharing shows you your Red ally's base,
along with the Gaia units there.

The first Scenario, Chapter 1 of the Campaign, must be played on Moderate, Hard, or the Hardest Difficulty. This is because your Reinforcements arrive on the east end of the map due to a tower trigger that only works on those three hardest difficulty settings.

RAKOVSKY'S EDITING NOTES:

In 2005, Richard made the excellent campaign "Drusus and Tiberias". It had a single scenario by the same name. First, Tiberius gathered his forces on the west side of the map and defended from attacks from the Raeti tribe. 13 minutes into the Scenario, a trigger brought reinforcements into the west side of the map, which was separated from the rest of the map by cliffs. The reinforcements helped your brother Drusus fight a duel against the Vendelici leader. Back on the west side of the map, your units took down two barracks and two archeries and had two brothers fight a duel against a raider chief. As you can see, it was a detailed, exciting campaign.

It had a few gltiches though. The first was that in AOE 1.0c, the savegames crashed due to 1.0c having a bug whereby shooting arrows or missiles corrupted savegames. Of course, the constantly shooting tower trigger invoked this particular bug, as Richard noted in his original Readme file. A second glitch was that in AOE 1.0, as soon as the savegames loaded, your Green ally's Drusus character immediately started trotting out of his box, despite his Player being set to "Passive". This violated the rule that Drusus must not leave his box and a message appeared saying "You have been defeated!" The savegames did not work right even if you modded your AOE 1.0C exe file, which was aimed at getting rid of the missile bug. Finally, even if you played through the whole game on AOE 1.0 and met the objectives, the game did not end. This may have been because one of the AI Player's Victory Conditions was set to Bring one Object to another Object, and both objects might not have been selected.

A similar issue existed in the 1998 campaign "Roman Expansion into Britannia." Apparently there was some imprecision in the Victory
Conditions and so the first Scenario in that Campaign would not finish in either AOE 1.0 or 1.0c when you met your objectives. In that campaign, the game could achieve victory only in ROR. Similarly, the original 2005 "Drusus and Tiberius" Campaign could be beaten in ROR, but not in AOE 1.0, and probably not even in 1.0c if you were able to make it through without using savegames.

So I edited the Drusus and Tiberius campaign to address these issues and am titling it "Drusus and Tiberius, version 2." First, I split the original Scenario into two Scenarios or Chapters. This is because the two parts of the original map where diferent objectives occur were separated physically by cliffs so that the units on one side of the map did not interact with the others. In effect, there were two "mini-Scenarios" going on at once, each with their own objective or objectives. Tiberius gathered his forces on the left side, then the horse archers appeared on the right side for their objective, and finally Tiberius battled the two Orange bases and the Brown chief on the left side. The main practical way in which the two "sides" of the map coordinated was that Tiberius gathered resources to send to help his brother on the right side of the map to fight off the Yellow armies there. However when it came time to use the reinforcements on the right side of the map for their objective, the issue of whether you had helped Drusus enough was not really a factor in that storyline, so long as his base was still alive. To meet the reinforcements' objective, you just had to use the horse archers to help Drusus duel, so their mission was pretty quick and their own mission didn't involve supplying Drusus for a long period of time.

The part of the Campaign that I put first was Drusus' duel with the Vendelici leader on the east side of the map. You start with resources that you can give Drusus' Aqua Player to provide for their base defense like in the original version. Your goal in the first Chapter is to use your horse archers to draw out the Brown Vendelici leader and lead him toward Drusus so that they fight. A justification for putting this Chapter first is that in the story, Drusus set up his base first and then Tiberius arrived on the west to join the Roman effort. In setting up this first, short Chapter, I deleted the red elephants in the reinforcements' trigger, in order to get rid of the 13 minute delay before your reinforcements show up, since it would be pointless to wait long for your only usable units. This also fixes the bug whereby the shooting towers make your savegame crash.

In this first chapter, your game still ends in Defeat if Drusus leaves his box like in the original version. This is because one of your goals is to get the chief to fight Drusus in his base without Drusus leaving his home area (like to go to the Yellow base on his own). In the original version, when you loaded a savegame in AOE 1.0, Drusus rode out of his box, invoking a Defeat. I did not have this problem on Playtesting, however being unable to save would not be an issue anyway on this Chapter because it is so short- you have one objective and you can't build a base.

The second "Chapter" is actually the rest of the original Scenario, from Tiberius gathering his forces at his base by the river to coming to the Yellow Government Center with his 4 legions. The only difference between the original version and this second Chapter is that you already helped with Drusus' duel in the east in the first chapter, so you no longer have that objective. You still have to give the same kind of tribute to Drusus' Aqua Player in the Second Chapter as you did in the original version.

In making Version 2 of this Campaign, it was important to me to be true to the original version while still making the campaign work. To better explain why I divided the original scenario into two Chapters: it was essential to make the game "winnable" and to give the Player a Victory when he met all the objectives. Based on my experience editing other Scenarios, there must have been a problem with the Victory Conditions functioning, and there were very many of them. Splitting the Objectives into two different Scenarios simplified the array of Victory Conditions that each Scenario used. And fortunately I was able to get the Scenarios to give the Player a Victory when he won them.

You can find the Original Version here, along with my Walkthrough in the Comments section:
http://aoe.heavengames.com/dl-php/showfile.php?fileid=1723

UPDATE: Version 2.0a

A Commenter said that beating Scenario #1 did not unlock Scenario #2 for them. Personally I did not have this bug when I played, but in case anyone else might, I am including a backup copy of Scenario #2 as a separate file in the Zip.

The Commenter was also confused by the references to "reinforcements" and market "tribute" in the Hints section for Chapter 1, so I removed those mentions.

The confusion arose because in Richard Ames' original "Version 1," you needed to fight battles with your main army in the northern and western halves of the map while feeding your brother Drusus Tribute until reinforcements in the form of 3 archers showed up to help him in the eastern half of the map. But in Chapter 1 of Version 2, you get those 3 archers almost immediately, so it can be confusing to call them "reinforcements." Plus, you don't need to tribute supplies to Drusus in Chapter 1 of Version 2 because you can send your archers right away to help Drusus against the Vendelici chief, thus ending Chapter 1 before Drusus would need tribute to survive.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
rakovsky
File Author
Happy Gaming!

[Edited on 10/08/20 @ 03:23 PM]

AugustoSapienti I just played this campaign and I must say it looks pretty good, but I only saw a glimpse of the scenario (I moved two archers to where Alexander was and lured Hector with the third archer). After Hector died, I won, but I didn't got to see the second scenario. It's just not there for me to play it, so it was all over in like three minutes.

I'm not going to review this campaign just yet because, by the look of things, I must have done something wrong. There are some hits about helping my allied with food (I couldn't, because I need a Market), some reinforcements comming (I played in moderate but nobody came) I still want to give this a second try if the author wants to explain me what I did wrong.
rakovsky
File Author
Augusto,

Thank you for replying.

The bug that you describe reminds me of a bug that has shown up for me on a few other campaigns where I beat a scenario in a campaign but it didn't unlock the next scenario in the campaign. In general, you can use Campaign Manager to unlock a campaign's scenarios any time that you see this bug on other scenarios. You can get Campaign Manager here: http://aoe.heavengames.com/dl-php/showfile.php?fileid=7

I ran Campaign Manager on my "Drusus and Tiberius, Version 2" campaign file and I saw that the campaign file does indeed correctly include both scenarios.

Today, in order to make sure that it worked, I ran the game using my AOE1 1.0c program and then used the Home Run Cheat on Scenario #1. Fortunately, it unlocked Scenario #2.

It tends to be safest to play the scenarios in the same version that they are made in. I suppose that Richard Ames made his Drusus and Tiberius scenario using AOE1 version 1.0c, since he made it after 1.0c became available, and because in his Readme, he acknowledged that the savegame crash bug showed up. The Readme says: "Saving may also prove crash happy, since there are a lot of projectiles floating around, and they mess up save files." The projectile savegame crash bug exists only in the patch versions, 1.0a-1.0c.
You can get Patch 1.0c here:
http://aoe.heavengames.com/dl-php/showfile.php?fileid=1640

If you do not a CD version of AOE1 and want to play with the 1.0c patch, you need to first install the patch from the link above and then find "NO CD" version of EmpiresX.exe for AOE1 version 1.0c. Then you paste the No CD version of EmpiresX.exe on top of your EmpiresX.exe file.

The simple answer for what you must normally do is:
Step 1. Beat Scenario #1, so that the message appears at the end saying that you are Victorious. After you beat it, the game will take you back to the Main Menu.
Step 2. Go back to your Campaign Menu, select the Drusus campaign and look for Scenario #2 in the list of scenarios.

I don't know if you did anything on your end to cause the bug like having files set as "Read Only" or running it in Safe Mode or as an Administrator or in some other setting in the Properties Menu. In any case, I'm including a Backup copy of Scenario #2 in the zip file now. Further, I got rid of the confusing terms about reinforcements and market tribute. My other option is to give Player 1 a Market so that he can give Drusus tribute. But since Scenario #1 is quick and easy and simple enough, the Tribute ability would seem to make scenario #1 easier than it needs to be. The main purpose behind the tribute is to keep Drusus alive and keep the Yellow player from crushing his base. But based on my experience, you can beat Mission #1 before that happens without needing to give Drusus Tribute. It's only in Scenario #2 that you need to give Drusus Tribute because the scenario lasts much longer. Of course, in case the Yellow Player crushes Drusus before you beat Scenario #1, let me know and I can give Player #1 back his market and resources to give to Drusus.

[Edited on 07/16/21 @ 01:19 PM]

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Statistics
Downloads:997
Favorites: [Who?]0
Size:764.72 KB