Back to Age of Empires Heaven Welcome to The Granary (Download Central)
Welcome
Downloads Home
Review Guidelines
Main site
Forums
Code of Conduct
Search

Advanced Search
Age of Empires: Multi Player Scenarios
Home
New Releases
New Reviews
New Comments
Top-Rated

Submit File
Browse Categories
New Files

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Armageddon

Author File Description
Stonefleck
File Details
No. of Players: 4
there are 5 forts in each of the corners that each have: 12 axe men, 3 villagers, 6 houses, a barack, & a town center. in the center of the map is a crater with gold, stone, wood, & who knows what else. there are lots of lions & elephants. Singleplayer also : Yes
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
rakovsky
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.7
Creativity5.0
Map Design4.7
Story/Instructions4.5
Playability: 5
It worked without glitches, since the concept is straightforward of having four Players at four corners of a map that is empty except for the crater in the middle.

Balance: 4.7
I beat it on Hard in Single Player and imagine that I could have beaten it on Hardest. The map seems a bit too easy then on Single Player, but that is not really an issue because it's meant as a multiplayer map, and there are four corners with 4 players, so if they are Human, the AI balancing is not an issue.

Some slight balancing issues are that the resource-laden crater in the middle has entrance walls on the east and west sides, whereas the north and south are just cliffs. But the entrance wall are is guarded by lots of lions, whereas the north and south cliffs have some gold along their edges on the outside. So this is not an exactly equally balanced map. Plus, the Designer made it so that the Blue and Red Players start next to each other (North and east corners), so if you have a two Player game (1 v 1 with two humans), there is this balance issue where the red Human player starts closer to the entrance wall. I don't see this as a real big deal because you could say that starting closer to a gold cliff is easier than starting closer to the lion-filled crater entrance due to the lions.

Creativity: 5
I thought this was a pretty creative idea of depicting formerly advanced, now-primitive people fighting in the wake of an Apocalyptic style event.

Map Design: 4.7
The crater design is neat with gold in the middle followed by a tree ring, as if the radiation made the trees grow, followed by a water ring, followed by the rocks and stones representing meteor fragments, followed by the cliffs representing the crater edges.

The starting bases are designed nicely, with some buildings and walls. However, the area between the bases and crater are rather empty in terms of eye candy. It's basically desert with sparse random palms and some lions and elephants. It's not a big deal because it's a Multiplayer map meant for creating balanced gameplay.

Story/Instructions: 4.5
The story made me interested to know how the Designer relates it to Armaggeddon in the Bible? Did the author see it as fitting in the Biblical story? Or is the title just a name used because it is a world disaster like those in the Apocalypse?
In the Biblical story, there are many natural disasters and also conflicts. The Biblical Battle of Armageddon involves certain masses of powerful major nations' forces in the Valley of Megiddo. So there is a common theme but it also seems different.

Additional Comments:
The Blue and Red Lame Priests are on the catapult on the right side of the crater, whereas the yellow and brown lame priests are by the catapult on the opposite side. So if you are Blue (Player 1), it makes sense for you to take control of the east side of the crater first and get the catapult there and protect that side with defense towers. That way you don't have the unpleasant situation where your catapult starts roaming the inside of the crater targeting enemy AI villagers and ends up automatically running into the crocodiles massed in the middle half of the crater. Plus, if you are on Multiplayer, you don't want the enemy humans invading the crater where your lame priest is.

I beat it on Multiplayer against a friend who is new to the game and 2 Easiest AIs. But I forgot to put in Player 5 (The Lost Tribe, who use the Minoan Civilization). So I replayed and beat him the second time.

[Edited on 09/26/20 @ 01:47 PM]

Fisk
(id: Fruktfisk)
Staff
I mean, odds are that if there are zero mentions of the Bible in the Story/Instruction, the guy just thought it was a cool name for his map.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.7
Creativity5.0