Back to Age of Empires Heaven Welcome to The Granary (Download Central)
Welcome
Downloads Home
Review Guidelines
Main site
Forums
Code of Conduct
Search

Advanced Search
Age of Empires: Single Player Campaigns
Home
New Releases
New Reviews
New Comments
Top-Rated

Submit File
Browse Categories
New Files

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Fighting for Rome

Author File Description
Boba_SML
File Details
Number of Scenarios: 3
Difficulty: Mod-Hard
The time has come for the great empire to rise, Rome! Rebel against the tyrant rule of the Etruscans and make your own empire grow. Lead Scipio Africanus Major and his legions as you try to kill Hannibal and make the Carthaginian Empire fall. Also, lead the seige on the desert fortress of Masada against the Jewish rebels. I hope you enjoy playing my campaign as much as I did making it.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Steve Ryan
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance2.0
Creativity3.0
Map Design3.0
Story/Instructions3.0
Added category for all contest campaigns: Historical Rating - 3 Brief description of topic area: Roman scenarios covering the rebellion against Etruscan rule, Scipios' African campaign in the 2nd Punic War and Jewish revolt at Masada. OVERALL SUMMARY/COMMENTS ON THE CAMPAIGN: I absolutely loved the idea of the new ROR sound files, what an innovative and simple idea, I had to boost the score for this unfortunately the scenarios themselves lacked punch and really just went through the motions. Playability: Generally average with the slow down due to using all 8 civs each time really annoying! Creativity: Showed some promise especially with the new music and some nice ideas but did not really deliver much new stuff in the end.. Units and civ choices generally felt about right. Balance: Just above average. At no stage did I think I was in any real danger here. The lack of saved games in this lot of scenarios point to the fact that I knew I held all the cards. A bit more pressure with either tougher enemies, time, tribute or geographical situation are all good ways to accomplish this. Map Design: Some nice features with bridges and towns but no attempt to match the actual shape of the countries. (The author may argue that as the battles were not global the maps needed to be inland). Story/Instructions: Some good Victory conditions and all worked smoothly. The story was basic and really just went through the motions. Historical Accuracy: Basically stuck to history but without any real flair. Expected more in the way of matching AOE's limitation to the actual historical events. Usually in these historical campaigns AOE surprisingly allows you to get a real feel for the situation and apply actual strategies employed by the ancient generals (just ask Gordon Farrell). Scenario # 1 Comments: Playability: (Is the scenario captivating and enjoyable?) Had some nice victory conditions, you had to fulfil several goals to complete the scenario. Most of the conditions made sense in regards to the overall context of the Early Roman situation. Basically though the scenario was a build up and destroy mission. It did get a little tedious. Creativity: (Have we seen these ideas before, or is there something fresh and remarkable?) Nothing really new. The units and civ selection made sense as Romans. The rebellion against the Estruscans had to be timed but overall the scenario lacked some imagination. Balance: (Winable but not too easy? Challenging even after you've won it?) At no stage was I taxed in this scenario, maybe I built up for too long (a time limit may have put some pressure on, like the Etruscans building a Wonder). I eventually had Centurions and Helopolis and nothing was going to get in my way then. Map Design: (Enjoyable to look at? Cliffs and elevations used reasonably?) Just above average. I found it annoying with the forest placement that village design was hampered (but hey I guess that't just realistic). The map could have been made to more fairly represent Italy and it't surrounds. Story/Instructions: (Are they clear? Do you know everything you need? Do they draw you into the scenario?) Story and instructions were basically utilitarian and all victory conditions worked well. No real effort put into making the story more than a narrative. Historical Accuracy: (Accurate bit map? Accurate scenario map? Accurate situation/dates/characters?) The events of this scenario really are spread over 200 years and as far as that goes the scenario went a long way to covering what happened to Rome during this early period. The enemy depicted were accurate but the history and aftermath text looked basically cut and pasted from an historical web site. Scenario #2 Comments: Playability: (Is the scenario captivating and enjoyable?) Started out in a nice little fort with a fair amount of resources. This scenario worked horribly slowly (maybe it't my computer) until I killed of a lot of enemy. It was pretty tedious hunting all over the screen for Hannibal and some artifacts with light weight enemies trying to stop me. Creativity: (Have we seen these ideas before, or is there something fresh and remarkable?) Nothing new here. I was hoping to have to think of some form of strategy as employed by Scipio to defeat Hannibals devastating Elephants. Except for the odd Elephant (and there weren't that many) I had no real feel for the last battle of the 2nd Punic War. Balance: (Winable but not too easy? Challenging even after you've won it?) You really have no trouble, the author assured me that the Elephants would attack en-masse but nothing like this happened. You are post iron and have enough resources to churn out helopolis which mowed down anything that came near me. I just roved around the map with 10 Helos and slaughtered everything. (I later even found a huge bunch of Gaia Legions as I needed 'em). Map Design: (Enjoyable to look at? Cliffs and elevations used reasonably?) Terrain probably represented the area but was not shaped anything like the actual historical territory. Did have some nice bridges although after Kyle Leachs bridge these have become commonplace. Look out for a nice little broken down bridge though. Story/Instructions: (Are they clear? Do you know everything you need? Do they draw you into the scenario?) A little confusing with the Victory conditions although after solving them I guess you could say they were accurate (needed more clarity). Story was just enough and showed little imagination. Scipio campaign in Africa was legendary and deserved better treatment than was given. His strategy against the Elephants rendered them useless as a tool of war for ever more. Historical Accuracy: (Accurate bit map? Accurate scenario map? Accurate situation/dates/characters?) Basically followed the history of the last battle of the 2nd Punic War but should have really expounded the deeds of Hannibal and Scipio. The History text says that the Carthaginians started the 3rd Punic war (this must surely be from an ancient Roman text book), the Romans definitely goaded the Carthaginians into a final war for they wanted to utterly destroy them. The memory of Hannibal terrorising Rome was to much to live with. Scenario #3 Comments: Playability: (Is the scenario captivating and enjoyable?) A bit of a tedious walk up the mountain to wipe out the rebellious zealots. Be careful though the author warns don't kill everyone or you will lose. I was busy fulfilling another Victory condition (getting a stolen artifact) and I left my legions unsupervised Masada, when they killed the last villager, I lost! (I always go a little higher if a scenario defeats me without long odds against). Creativity: (Have we seen these ideas before, or is there something fresh and remarkable?) The idea was good and reasonably well executed. The unit were quite relevant and the arduous slug up the mountain fitted in with the overall siege of Masada. Balance: (Winable but not too easy? Challenging even after you've won it?) Well even though this scenario did defeat me once the balance was still way in your favour. I like not being able to make more troops or heal it always keeps you on you toes (trying not to lose any men). Map Design: (Enjoyable to look at? Cliffs and elevations used reasonably?) Some effort was made in reproducing the Masada siege. The fort was not easy to get into but once in the slaughter was guaranteed. I wonder why the author uses all 8 civs for each of his scenario in most cases it is unnecessary and just slows the action down heaps! Story/Instructions: (Are they clear? Do you know everything you need? Do they draw you into the scenario?) Victory condition worked, story was serviceable. Historical Accuracy: (Accurate bit map? Accurate scenario map? Accurate situation/dates/characters?) The history was basically accurate and I am grateful for the author for making me read a little more about what was a fascinating part of Roman/Jewish history. The similarities between Masada and Waco are almost scary. It't interesting that in modern times the siege of Masada would have been seen as a bunch of religious nut-cases murdering and flaunting rightful authority and yet in History it is seen as a gallant but futile gesture against a ruthless oppressor. (Hey I didn't mean that to sound like I support the Waco revolt 'cause they were a bunch of religious nut-cases).
Frank Steidel
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Added category for all contest campaigns: Historical Rating - 3 I thought this was a pretty good campaign covering three highlights from Roman history. The introductory bitmaps were generally well done and the written introductory stories were well written. The first scenario, "The beginning of the Roman Empire" has the player starting out with several villagers and clubmen in a densely wooded area. There are many victory conditions to fulfill. You must get to the iron age in addition to hurting each of the other civilizations in some way. The second scenario, "The Second Punic Wars" has the player attacking the African continent to divert Hannibal away from Italy. The Romans must get to a prepared base and fight off Hannibal's attacks there. From that point, the player needs to recover an artifact, destroy the enemies stable and archery range, and kill Hannibal's elephant force in addition to several other victory requirements. The third scenario, "The Jewish Revolt" was the most interesting of the three scenarios. The Romans start with a fixed force and have no chance to replace losses. The Romans must put down the Jewish uprising and take the fortress of Masada. I found the most difficult part of this campaign was finding a stolen warchest that must also be recovered to win the game. The gameplay was good through most parts of the campaign and terrain was used to good effect. The playing maps were fairly well made. I would, however, have liked to see some more details in the cities and more mixing of grass and desert areas. Creativity was good throughout this campaign with each scenario having five or more separate victory conditions. The campaign also has custom music files to play. Historical accuracy was difficult to rate. The written histories were good, but the playing fields didn't really always seem historical. Some examples of this were in the first scenario the Carthage forces share a landmass with the Gauls. There is no ocean in any of the three scenarios where I might have expected it. Where the Romans attack Africa in the second scenario one of the conditions is to destroy Carthage's docks. They aren't on the sea, but rather on a river that runs through the board. Overall, this was a well done campaign that can be recommended for downloading.
rakovsky
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.5
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design4.5
Story/Instructions4.5
Playability: 4.5
It was very playable, except the first two had weaknesses in playability. The first one had such thick forests in some places that it was hard to get through them. As for the second one, the first time that I played it, I converted or killed all the elephants and met all the goals, but the mission didn't end, which I thought might have been because I converted some elephants before later killing them. So I replayed Scenario 2 and beat it on Moderate. When I replayed it, I made sure to kill all the elephants that I had converted before I finally defeated Red's team. In other words, when I killed all of my converted elephant units, Red still had a building left and had not yet surrendered. Nonetheless, the Scenario did not end there. Instead, even though I had fulfilled all the Victory Conditions, I still had to fight the Aqua team (the African tribe). Partway through my fight with the African tribe, that tribe surrendered and the game automatically gave me "Victory."

Balance: 4
The last scenario had a tough balance with the first several playthrough attempts because the Israeli fishermen base and the gray base made attacks on my home base or on the nomad base where I needed to keep chests while I did the rest of the mission. I guess the trick is to take out the Israeli aqua base early.

Creativity: 5
Very creative.

Map Design: 4.5
The forests were hard to get through in the first mission.

Story/Instructions: 4.5
The instructions were unclear for the last two. For the Second Scenario, it seems that there was a de facto unwritten requirement that I defeat all the teams in addition to meeting the written requirements (ie. in addition to destroying all elephant opponent units and bringing the arks to my base). It seems that I had to fight the enemies enough to make each one surrender, because it was only after all the other teams had surrendered that partway through fighting the Aqua team, the Aqua team surrendered too and the game gave me a victory screen.

For the Third Scenario, it also wasn't clear which chests I needed to put at which flag, and how I needed to trigger the nomad base to help me. The instructions said I needed to put the chest at the nomad base for the nomads to help me, but all that really did was fulfill a victory condition. In reality, to get the nomads to help, I needed to move to a certain spot in the eastern brown base.

Additional Comments:
SCENARIO 1: Beginning of the Roman Empire It is fun because you can beat each other team's "goal", like getting a treasure chest.

SCENARIO 2: The Second Punic War: The first time that I played this scenario, I eliminated all the enemies except for the African tribe in aquamarine that was not a target, and I took the arks to my base. But the mission didn't end, and I couldn't figure out why. It looks like the problem is that you must fight the Aqua team enough to make them surrender in order to get a victory screen. This seems to be a design flaw, since I don't know why it requires this.

SCENARIO 3: The Jewish Revolt: The brown village in the middle of the eastern part of the map gives you merceneries if you visit that base's western part. The orange base in the west corner has the Roman war chest.

The instructions about the chest and nomads are unclear, because it isn't clear which chest they are talking about for which flag. That is, the instructions aren't clear which of my two chests need to go to the brown nomads - my starting chest or the one from the orange base. To win, I took the chest from the far west orange base and put it by my flag, and I took the chest that started at my base and brought it to the brown flag.

I can go to a spot in the west of the brown nomad base and this awards me a group of nomad merceneries, but it doesn't award me the nomads' base. In fact it turns out that you can't get the nomad's base. Also, the instructions say not to let Corlis leave Masada. But which villager is Corlis and do I have to kill him? There is a known glitch in AOE whereby Corlis turns into a villager, so I think that this is what happened and why I can't find him. And I don't think it matters if I kill Corlis, only that he can't leave Masada.

I had to beat this one on EASIEST, although now that I know the trick, I think I could try it on EASY or maybe even Moderate. The challenge was that groups of enemies made major assaults on my home base and on the nomad base with the chest and I didn't have enough soldiers to defend both places while also attacking the orange base, and so my chest in the nomad base got stolen. It's hard to attack enemy archers effectively except using my general on a horse. I set a force to guard my home base & chest and a small one to guard the nomad base & chest while I sent the rest of my forces into Masada, but the aqua Israeli Fishermen came and took out my home base. So the solution is that I need to take out the aqua enemy in the far right corner right away, since I can't rebuild my forces.

[Edited on 08/19/20 @ 09:31 PM]

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.8
Balance3.3