Author File Description
Mash
(id: Mashek)
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Style: Mix
Number of scenarios: 2
Screenshot:

"The war never truly ended, did it? The trouble I felt day after day when she was killed... the grief, the agony.
No. It was foolish of me to think it would end with Grustik's death.
It was only the beginning."

The long fragile peace between two warring kingdoms wastes over days and years; time holds no forbearance for those unwilling to face the truth of a returning past. For Jaerith, today is a time for celebration and a time for grievance within the bleak walls of Erryth. Winter marks his forty-third birthday, but this same cold season also represents the moment in time when his wife fell to war, and the old count struggles to put aside memory's embrace.

Meanwhile, unknown and inexorable, darkness once more treads across Erertiya's borders. Vengeance leads its way, a fierce king who would see his thirst for retribution satisfied for a war lost and a father slain, nineteen years ago.

~ 0 ~

This is the complete revamp of the Second Kretharn War ~ Part I with features including:

• An epic in-depth tale spanning one playable and one cinematic scenario

• Gripping game play, including fixed force and defend-the-spot style action

• Immersive cut-scene-based narrative

• Dark atmosphere

• Highly detailed and realistic map design

• Almost 100 custom sound effects

• Many complex game play mechanics

• Difficulty-level-dynamic game play

I hope you enjoy this project!

*** This campaign received the award BEST STORY in the Game of the Year Awards of 2009 ***

UPDATES:

Version 1.1 (16/12/09): Minor grammatical changes made. Minor bug fixed where the final cut-scene did not eventuate due to the scout becoming jammed in the western gateway and cut-down by remaining enemy units.
Version 1.2 (20/12/09): Inadequate timing sequences moving enemy units around while in the fortress have mostly been improved, and the bug involving the engineer still remaining in the fort after the game has ended has also been fixed. A few other minor modifications made, together with the inclusion of a "tips" file.
Version 1.3 (23/12/09): Standard difficulty significantly revised. Less archers assault the fortress, and the HP and AP of the three main enemy commanders have been decreased accordingly. Player one's archers and onagers have had their HP marginally increased. Wardrik's stats have also been rectified with respect to each difficulty level.
Version 1.4 (4/01/17): Major update made to further polish the file, including revisions made to all dialogue, story and hints. Numerous bugs fixed.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
MerryBrandybuck :D Finally finished!

[Edited on 12/15/09 @ 03:37 PM]

DaniloSrb Great job, I really enjoyed it.

The only thing wrong was that I experienced a glitch. The "Light Cavalry" soldier who rides towards the city at the end gets killed. The gateway is blocked by enemy soldiers who didn't seem to retreat and then he was killed by a surviving captain...
Mash
Staff
Official Reviewer
File Author
@DaniloSrb

Thanks for the feedback mate. I will get onto updating the file as soon as possible.

Also, glad you enjoyed it!

EDIT: File updated to remove the bug mentioned by Danilo, in addition to numerous typo and grammatical changes across the file and HTML revisions on the file description above.

[Edited on 12/17/09 @ 08:33 AM]

Julius999
Official Reviewer
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 5
This scenario is extremely entertaining, with a fast pace and lots of atmosphere. For one if its type, it excels in every area and is highly polished. There are limitations to the style such as a lack of variety and replay value, but on the whole if you enjoy fixed force or siege scenarios this is one of the best out there. In the new version I could not find any bugs or glitches, and on a modern machine I did not encounter any lag either.

Balance: 5
Despite the defenders being massively outnumbered, the scenario is well balanced. Certainly the outcome hinges on whether the player adopts the right tactic and can pull off a bit of micromanagement. Difficulty dynamics do feature and have a noticeable impact. On Standard the player needs only to get approximately the right strategy and keep an eye on his heroes, while on Hard lots of micromanagement is needed along with careful positioning of his forces and mistakes are punished harshly.

Creativity: 5-
Although the style is not new, there is still enough here that is original and creative. In particular the berzerkers offered some variety in the enemy attacks, and little touches such as the well also give a favourable impression. The mechanic where Count Jaerith can confront his nemesis on the battlefield is also relatively fresh. The only aspect slightly lacking in creativity was the gameplay, which is probably inevitable given that this is a remake.

Map Design: 5
Aesthetically, the map is excellent, portraying a bleak winter landscape to great effect. It is not cluttered, but still gives the impression that much effort went into it. It also functions very well in this context, with wide open spaces for the battle outside the fortress and narrow chokepoints in the gateway that are the key to victory. The only quibble is that the positioning of a couple of towers makes it difficult to manage your men, but this is a very minor problem.

Story/Instructions: 5+
This is the outstanding feature of the scenario. The story is a well trodden one of revenge, but the depth and detail the author has given to it are exceptional. The writing is of very good quality, but as the bulk of the narration is confined to the instructions and history screens it does not get in the way. The instructions are also exemplary, and the hints are unusual in that they fit neatly into the context of the story. There can be no complaint here.

[Edited on 01/31/10 @ 10:57 AM]

Mash
Staff
Official Reviewer
File Author
Thank you very much for the review, Julius. I really appreciate it.

[Edited on 12/25/09 @ 06:53 PM]

JusT_eZ ic just downloaded i was gutted didnt work thought it might of been some weird error sounded interesting i will comment on game once ive tried it love these types of maps big battles tactics etc =D
Mash
Staff
Official Reviewer
File Author
I'm terribly sorry, the latest update of the file is not actually playable as I forgot to deactivate a play testing trigger that stops everything. Anyway, this problem should now be fixed, and the game should be playable. If anyone who downloaded version 1.3 of this file doesn't want to download the game again, I would suggest using Campaign Manager to open the file, select 'The Storm' and switch to off the trigger titled "The Storm" at the very top of the triggers list. The game should work from then on. I hope you enjoy.

[Edited on 12/25/09 @ 06:55 PM]

Dtrungle
Official Reviewer
I am not a fan of FF - epic battles but I'll give it another try. (the latest version since you said Standard should be easier)

I played Standard on the first version and lost. It wasn't an enjoyable experience for me. (you can tell how much I dislike FF)
JusT_eZ Finished it, took me a few attempts, it was a fun map interesting but short especially for its size, i was expecting longer but job well done, awesome story
Mash
Staff
Official Reviewer
File Author
@Dtrungle,

Hehe, that's quite alright mate. I agree, play this only if you like Fixed Force-based scenarios and long cut-scenes. Thanks for playing, though.

@JusT_eZ,

Thanks mate, glad you enjoyed it. Just wondering, but did you play the second scenario? It's only a cut-scene but extends the story a bit, and I've noticed a fair few have managed to skip it unknowingly.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0