SetupMap - Scenario Map Installer

Author File Description
scripter64
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Current Version (date-time)
SetupMap 20110209-001001

Introduction
SetupMap allows players to easily replace, and restore, the built-in Migration map with any random map script in your "Age of Empires II\Random" folder for use in the scenario editor's random map generator. Please try it; I need all the feedback I can get!

System Requirements
Age of Empires II: The Conquerors Expansion v1.0c
Windows XP or later
User permissions to modify files in:
- Age of Empires II\Random
- Age of Empires II\Data
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Keisari Tapsa Why do I need to uninstall my custom AI first? If that really is required, can you make it so that it uninstalls and reinstalls the custom AI silently while installing custom map?

And if the custom AI install requires no custom map installs, the same thing to there also.

Can you extract the standard random map scripts to be editable?

Why I can't use custom AI and custom scenario maps simultaneously?

Other than that, very good program. It works.

[Edited on 02/11/11 @ 05:35 AM]

scripter64
File Author
Good points; I'll look into fixing those issues. I added the installer block as a quick safety precaution to prevent people from mistakenly losing their original gamedata_x1.drs file by uninstalling in the wrong order.

Here is the worst case scenario that the block currently prevents:
1. game is untouched with original gamedata_x1.drs
2. setupmulti installs an ai, making a backup of the existing (original) gamedata_x1.drs to gamedata_x1.drs.setupmulti.backup and then modifying it
3. setupmap installs a map, making a backup of the existing (setupmulti-modified) gamedata_x1.drs to gamedata_x1.drs.setupmap.backup and then modifying it
4. user uninstalls ai with setupmulti, restoring the original gamedata_x1.drs from its backup (gamedata_x1.drs.setupmulti.backup)
5. user "uninstalls map" with setupmap, restoring the setupmulti-modified gamedata_x1.drs from its backup (gamedata_x1.drs.setupmap.backup)
6. the original gamedata_x1.drs is lost

I'll release a new version of the tools soon, in order to allow for both of them to be used at the same time, and eliminate the installer block. Thanks for the comment!

[Edited on 02/11/11 @ 12:26 PM]

Jatayu
(id: Sword_of_STORM)
Official Reviewer
Good tool, however 2 problems:

1. It doesn't ask you where to pick gamedata_x1.drs to replace, so if you have multiple installations it will only pick one in the registry.

2. It only replaces migration, it should be able to replace others too.

Other than its a good idea, saves hassles installing with drsbuild.

[Edited on 02/12/11 @ 07:57 AM]

scripter64
File Author
Thank you for the comment, sword_of_storm! I'm compiling a list of things to fix and features to add, so I'll copy your notes onto it. It may take a little while for an update, however, as I'm presently working on another project for the game, so I apologize in advance for any extended delay.

[Edited on 02/12/11 @ 09:08 AM]

offwo200 imho, it doesn't need to replace any other map apart from migration and team islands. Team islands would be very useful as it allows us to generate 255 x 255 copies of our random map scripts.

Thanks for this great utility scripter!
scripter64
File Author
Thanks for the comment, offwo! I didn't know that about team islands; that's very interesting. I hope I can find some time to update this soon, but you know how it is :)

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Statistics
Downloads:589
Favorites: [Who?]3
Size:139.08 KB
Added:02/06/11