The Gladiator (Movie)

Author File Description
muerte
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Style: Role Playing Strategy
Number of scenarios: 6
No Description Available
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Jagatai Khan I would like to read a description,muerte;like everyone...
tophat I didn't enjoy this campgain that much.The story line wasn't put together well.Well, You play as genrel Maximus and you talk to this marco guy and get your orders.The one part where you go with the slaves and camels I didn't get! Where did the author jump to????
The author never made a dispicion (thats why u droped to a 1 in story/inturctions.

he had some nice Bitmap images the go anlong thats why tou got a 3 in creativtiy.

The map was very dool.

I think you should download this campgain.

This was tophat reveiening Glatdior (it's not a movie) :)
louie4life I liked this campaign. Lots of thoughts to it, and very creative.
paco_7eshing this was nicee, but some part are a little mixy
Rebel Troop The storyline did not fit together at all this was based on Gladiator the movie, but I saw very few connections. There was barley anything to do.

I don't recommend downloading this.

[Edited on 08/25/07 @ 08:29 PM]

rakovsky
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Playability: 3
Strictly speaking it was playable and winnable, without balance issues being any obstacle, but there were some glitches or other weaknesses in playability that I've noted in my review.

In Scenario 1 and some other scenarios, the Roman statue and fountains at my home in the west corner look like giant photographs instead of AOE2 buildings. I guess that it's a glitch due to a problem with the Mod loading correctly. Also in Scenario 1, you need to go directly northwest through a pack of nearby soldiers to find the emperor. But if you find Commodus first, it creates a glitch where Commodus tells you first to follow him, even though meanwhile you are going to see the emperor.

Playing SCENARIO 1 on HARD, first I went to my house in the west corner, and a peasant said that emperor Marcos was dead. Then when I went to the village in the west side of the center, it seemed that Maximus was talking to the emperor, but there was no emperor unit, only a green dead unit near where the dialogue location was. I guess that you have to go there right away before the emperor can get killed.

Next I got directions to go SW of the emperor's base to talk with Commodus. When I got there, a saw a green rider going away and I got a dialogue with Commodus without it being clear that he was there, although there were two infantry nearby. Maybe on HARD he rides away. On EASIEST in AOE1, units would often automatically stay put. I get instructions to follow him... but he is not there to follow... I found him milling around near the camp's entrance and just going in circles... The main "neck" of the camp is now blocked with soldiers. I couldn't progress at that point.

SCENARIO 3 has the same glitch on the AOK CD version as Scenario 1 did where the spearman units flicker as big cards on white backgrounds.
The gate came down between my fighters the first time, yet they said that they must fight as a team.

-------------------------------
Balance: 5
The fights were tilted in my favor, so the main challenge was really in figuring out how to accomplish the objectives, like the maze in the second scenario. The fights were typically fixed force matches, and you do not want to have a fixed force match that is slanted against you because you don't want to be in a situation where it is impossible to win due to balance issues. So fortunately this campaign did not have balance issues that stopped you from winning.

The scenarios generally don't seem to be designed as fights that you can really lose if you play in a normal way because the campaign is rather directed at telling the Maximus story. So it is more of a story-type campaign than a battle challenge campaign where balance issues are key in evaluating it. So I am kind of stuck between a 4 and a 5 on this category.

-------------------------

Creativity: 5
The Creativity was pretty good.

Scenario 5 is a mix of particular creativity and oddness. You are supposed to get in the middle of a set of walls surrounded by enemies and towers. You also have guards around the map, but I figured that the goal is basically just to get to the goal area. There is even a message saying that you can't get lose if you get stabbed once you are inside. So... when I get inside alone, Commodus tells his soldiers to attack me and really I don't have a chance against them unless I had brought all the map's blue soldiers with me, and even then I don't know if I could fight them all. The victory trigger was that my Maximus unit got killed, which I guess is what the directions were referring to a getting stabbed. I guess it's a creative way to make a scenario, although it's also a bit odd because Maximus didn't actually die at this point in terms of the story.

One time I restarted after winning and sent my Maximus guy right to the walled area... and yet the red guys were still enemied with me and wouldn't let me into the base and instead just attacked me en masse.

Another time I got my soldiers inside with me and they were fighting the unit there and killing them, and I got a victory screen when my unit was still marked as having at least 17 health.

-------------------------------------

Map Design: 4
The Map Design was good due to Creativity, but had a few confusing or flawed areas as I mentioned in the Playability or Instructions section. I would prefer to give it a 3.5 for Map Design. The flaws did not stop me from beating the mission though.

In Scenario 1, there is a design issue where apparently the executioners who you are supposed to kill have already been killed or wandered away from the field where you are supposed to find them. On MODERATE Difficulty in Scenario 1, I followed Commodus to a camp where I killed Commodus and then inside the walls I got a message saying to defeat the executioners. Green's soldiers suddenly enemied me and then allied with me immediately. Based on the Editor, it looks like the thing to do at that point is to go home and not worry about fighting the executioners unless you see Huskarl units there. Apparently an enemy unit had gotten killed at that camp area much earlier that gave the "I hurt my hand I must go home" message. Otherwise, you do need to fight two enemy Huskarl units who start the mission standing there.

In SCENARIO 6, there is a weird glitch where when I fight Commodus I can hear villagers dying on the left side of the arena/colosseum area. If you watch the villagers, you can see them dying. However, I don't know what is killing them. I guess that the AI is treating them like extra units and deleting them. At first I thought that it was Maximus or Commodus saying "Ooo" from getting stabbed by his opponent in the battle. This happened in AOE2 1.0c as created by Userpatch 1.5, and I don't know if it happens in the AOK HD version. But both the AOK HD and AOK CD versions had the glitch where certain units like spearmen and statues show up as big cards on white backgrounds.

-----------------------

Story/Instructions: 4
One weakness is the explanation about installing the scenario files. I can't tell if we are supposed to do anything with the screenshots like install them someplace or if they are just for advertising the campaign. I guess the latter because they have control bars at the bottom like when you are playing the game. The same goes for the images in the poster folder and the modpack. It would be better with instructions for installing.
It has an AXP file that I didn't know what to do with. Vardamir, the Genie Converter Designer, explained that I did not need to install it, saying: "AXP is a mod project file, I think... It's nothing useful".

In SCENARIO 1, the Story/Instructions describe the barbarians as vikings. The vikings were not around in fact for another 600 years or so.

In SCENARIO 2, the upper right area has a aquare colloseum, but bringing Maximus to its SW gate doesn't let him in... Yet I took that to be the "Hall of the Colosseum" that I needed to enter.

It turns out that the problem is not with the game engine, but rather with the confusion in the map instructions. The instructions say to go to the Hall of the Colosseum, and indeed there is an aqua arena in the northeast with a trigger set to it. Maximus says when he gets to it that he should not fear anything. However, it turns out that this is not actually the victory location. In reality Maximus has to get to the area near the opening in the trees in the northeast edge of the map. That is confusing because there is no building there, only a sign post.

Scenario 6 has a really good ending Story text actually about freeing the slaves. The Designer did a good job with the Story sections in general. The main weakness in the Story/Instructions clarity is rather that it should have more clarity in terms of the directions for installation and some scenario directions, as I mentioned elsewhere in this review.

-----------------------

Additional Comments:
I used Genie Converter to install the Modpack on both the AOK HD (Steam) and AOK:TC (original CD) versions. It worked on both versions.

I beat all scenarios except for the first one on Hard. I beat the First one on Moderate.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0