Recent Updates

Showcase Scenarios » PTC11 - Sagropireia

Download File Post Review Post Comment

PTC11 - Sagropireia

Author File Description
Lord Basse
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
"Sagropireia" is my entry to the Pretty Town Contest of 2011.

You wake up with amnesia on a seemingly deserted island. Where did everyone go? Who are you, and how did you end up at this weird structure? Let the story of your and the island's past unravel, or ignore the story completely and just enjoy the map design.

CREDITS:
- crasher, for inspiration,
- Maurice Ravel, for the hauntingly beautiful music,
- Sounddogs.com and Enya (what a combo), for the sound effect.

Brought to you by StormWind Studios.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
panel
Official Reviewer
my favorite from the competition thus far. Great map.
Devious Dev
(id: dragonslayermcmx)
Official Reviewer
I thought, sounds where not allowed???
Lord Basse
Official Reviewer
File Author
@Panel, thanks!

@Dragonslayer, for the judges' version it isn't, which is why I included a notice to the judges that they shouldn't extract the sound files. ;)
trisatya This entry is just.... wow.

For such a small island there are plenty of things to see that please my eye (my personal favorites would be the graveyard and the bridge leading to the lone keep). Sagropireia is just so atmospheric and beautiful. Definitely a top contender in the competition besides Julius' entry.

Great job, Basse! :)
cartoon_paperboy insane dude insane is my favorite )_

peace
GeneralR Great atmosphere, nothing seemed to me to be on the wrong place, i actually don't like mixing building types, but in scenario map it was really great, I think one of the best maps i've ever seen! The story was also very interesting.
Devious Dev
(id: dragonslayermcmx)
Official Reviewer
Rating
Rating: 5
Sagropiera is a small jungle island, what I immediatly started to like. The most realistic jungle world i have ever seen, i liked the mixed mountains, the life like beaches, and the hundreds of good looking path´s. The village was looking very good, i especially liked the graveyard. Also the other buildings were good mixed into the GAIA objects. There were good triggers, and the music added a nice atmosphere into the game. A really nice story which was optional to get, completed it.

Additional Comments: A really good entry, i higly recommend the download!

[Edited on 10/17/11 @ 05:28 AM]

panel
Official Reviewer
Rating
Sagropireia is Lord Basse's entry to the 2011 Pretty Town Contest, and it is of the same high quality that Basse has accustomed us to in his last releases. Aside from the minimal requirement of a pretty looking map that the competition entailed, the author has added a very rare extra depth to this non-playable game, focusing on atmosphere and story, and building up on the concept of Crasher's "A different world", a man that finds himself on a deserted island with no knowledge of where he is or how he got there.

RATING: 5+

When judging map design and having to deal with a visibly high quality work, it is inevitable that one's personal taste comes into play, so my rating is surely a reflection of this aspect. However, it is not an overstatement to say that the map is almost perfect aesthetically speaking. There are very few things I would have done differently, and the atmosphere brought forth by the emptiness of the streets and the occasional ruins and overgrowth is haunting. The music does nothing but add up to this feeling and thrive on it. It is remarkable how the author manages to take many buildings from very different building sets (from Goths to Japanese) while still managing to make them fit so well together, and turning the map into a very plausible island community (or better said, its remnants).

Another aspect that manages to increase the overall experience is the story provided, which is in very close connection to the map design and gives it new and deeper meanings. Though the author makes it clear that it is not mandatory, it is however highly recommended to read the story that unfolds through the pieces of diary that you will find, and that slowly uncover the truth and the reason why you are there. This story is brought to life by little (or bigger) trigger tricks that you will find by exploring the map to the end, all of which are perfectly executed.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:

Overall, playing this has been a haunting and memorable experience, more than I would've ever expected from a non-playable scenario, and I recommend it to everyone that enjoys good map design and a good story to match it. Actually, the narrative here is better than most playable scenarios I've encountered at the Blacksmith, which has to count for something.

Great job, Lord Basse. You've managed to make me deliver my first perfect 5 star rating in a review. Needless to say, this is a MUST download.

Lord Basse
Official Reviewer
File Author
Thanks for the reviews chaps! :)
Scibadi Lol I think we all know who's going to win, it's an awesome map.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Statistics
Downloads:4,150
Favorites: [Who?]9