DirectDrawFix - Color Update

Author File Description
scripter64
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Current Version (date-time)
DirectDrawFix 20130101-154045

Introduction
Windows Vista and Windows 7 break color compatibility with certain applications that depend upon palette-based, 256-color graphics. Due to changes to DirectX and DirectDraw, the colors of these applications and games may appear distorted under these newer operating systems. This issue applies to both The Age of Kings and The Conquerors Expansion.

DirectDrawFix will allow you to resolve this specific issue by applying required compatibility fixes to the registry. Elevation is required for this application to perform its updates. Windows XP and earlier operating systems are already compatible and do not require this update.

System Requirements
Windows Vista or later operating system
Elevated user account privileges
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Mash
(id: Mashek)
Staff
Official Reviewer
Oh my, this is really quite amazing. I've been struggling to get used to the green and red colours for a while now on my new Windows 7 operating system and this bug fix cleans it right up. Thanks for discovering this and for sharing.
panel
Official Reviewer
This is probably the best fix I've encountered for this particular issue, I was tired of killing my explorer.exe just to play the game. Us windows 7 users are forever grateful for it.
scripter64
File Author
Thanks for the comments :)
panel
Official Reviewer
Rating
Breakdown
Usefulness/Novelty5.0
Quality/Instructions5.0
"Directdrawfix" is, as of today, the best available solution to the vista/windows7 color problem that many of us have to face due to the incompatibility that the newer operating systems present towards older games such as AOE2.

Usefulness/Novelty: 5
There are several ways to get around the color problem, but none of them is nearly as elegant and annoyance-free as this one. Another utility that addresses this issue is Lord Basse's fix, but this new utility has the huge advantage that it does not require windows explorer to be killed upon opening the game, therefore you can ctrl-esc out of the game to browse your computer without having to restart explorer. This was one of the most annoying things I was faced with until now when designing in AOK, and I have a feeling I wasn't the only one.

Quality/Instructions: 5
As far as my experience goes, the utility is perfect. Upon opening it, it only requires you to select the .exe file that you want to fix. (age2_x1 in our case). After which... it's done! You can play the game with perfect colors, without having to bother with any .bat files, task manager or anything else! Instructions are not even needed in this case.

Additional Comments:
A very important utility for anyone who uses windows vista or 7, and will greatly enhance one's experience playing the game on either of those operating systems. If you are in that category, it is mandatory to download.
scripter64
File Author
Released DirectDrawFix 20111211-005156.
- Adjusted for 64-bit compatibility.
damiankeur this is not only a problem for vista and windows 7 but also for XP.I have an XP and i also have this problem

[Edited on 12/14/11 @ 02:01 PM]

Dementor561 I cant find the folder which contains the .exe Please help
scripter64
File Author
If you experience color distortion on Windows XP or earlier, it is likely that an application running in the background on your system is using your GPU to render an advanced user interface, manipulate images, or play videos. Various media players may cause this issue, including some music players with advanced "visualizations" during playback. Please ensure that no such software is operating in the background.

The game is typically installed to this path:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\age2_x1\

64-bit operating systems may find it here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\age2_x1\

[Edited on 12/14/11 @ 06:54 PM]

panel
Official Reviewer
@ Dementor: you could also use the search tool to find the age2_x1.exe, and then right click - go to location (or something in those lines)
Possidon
Official Reviewer
Finally to round to trying this out! Superb one of the most useful utilities to date thanks alot!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Usefulness/Novelty5.0
Quality/Instructions5.0