MGC12 - In the Nick of Time

Author File Description
Night Conqueror
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Style: Role Playing Strategy
Screenshot:
I N T H E N I C K O F T I M E

Three days and nights Edrant, Marvant and Jessica pursued the necromancer Faedrek across the land. Each time they met, they left destruction in their wake - and yet each time the necromancer escaped. As three of the finest hunters of rogue mages in the world, Edrant, Marvant and Jessica remained resolute. Finally, after ambushing him next to a small creek, they cornered Faedrek in a small, out of the way village. Now, wounded and trapped, Faedrek prepared to make his last stand.

[b]Features
  • Unique, time travel mechanic where your actions in the past affect the future.
  • Utilize the strengths and weaknesses of three different heroes - each with their own abilities
  • Enjoy a full-sized game shrunk into a 25x25 size map. Never before has gaming been so concentrated!
  • AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
    panel
    Official Reviewer
    This is impressive to say the least.
    Devious Dev
    (id: dragonslayermcmx)
    Official Reviewer
    Very Good game, but very difficult imo. Also, the map is very empty, but i guess that is not to change, because of the changes that occur with time traveling.
    Slave25000 It's the winner of MC12!!!
    Julius999
    Official Reviewer
    Rating
    Breakdown
    Playability5.0
    Balance5.0
    Creativity5.0
    Map Design4.0
    Story/Instructions5.0
    I'm shocked by how few downloads this has received. It's a gem and it deserves more attention.

Playability: 5
    The action in this scenario is unusually well thought out and slick, based around highly creative ideas. It's short, but polished. The exact opposite of a repetitive, clumsy, over-long slugfest.

Balance: 5
    The striking thing about the balance is just how clever it is. Every task is well balanced for each of the three heroes, and requires astute use of the special abilities to succeed. The challenge is all about coming up with the right tactics, and not about micromanagement.

Creativity: 5+
    I've heard this concept discussed before, but this is the only time I've ever seen it executed and I can't imagine it being done much better. As if that wasn't enough, there's also a very ingenious system where each of the heroes has at least one special ability. The gameplay revolves around these very well thought out mechanics, and the end result is something unique. Brilliantly creative.

Map Design: 4
    The map design is minimalist in style, to the extent that it does look quite bare even taking into account the technical limitations of the time travel mechanic. It works well enough and looks nice enough, but this scenario is all about the other features. One minor flaw is the very obvious patch of invisibility, which could have been better hidden.

Story/Instructions: 5
    For a mini game the story is rather detailed, and it's apparent that the author has put some real effort into fleshing out the characters. It supports the gameplay excellently. The instructions are equally good, and explain time travel and the special abilities clearly and intuitively.
    Lord Basse
    Official Reviewer
    *** This scenario received the award "The Dunscombe Trophy (Most Creative Scenario)" in the Game of the Year Awards of 2012. ***

http://aok.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/aokcgi/display.cgi?action=ct&f=4,41304,0,10
    Lord Basse
    Official Reviewer
    Rating
    Breakdown
    Playability5.0
    Balance4.0
    Creativity5.0
    Map Design4.0
    Story/Instructions5.0
    I hadn't played this until today, and I dare say I have been missing out these past few years! "In the Nick of Time" is a true gem, and a very unique minigame.

PLAYABILITY: 5
    A lot of fun from beginning to end. Every duel and battle you come across is well balanced, making for forty minutes of non-stop entertainment. The unique fighting techniques of each hero make the battles more unique, especially when some of the enemies you come across also have unique fighting techniques. This scenario squeezes out about as much entertainment as you possibly can from a 25x25 map, and for that it deserves a full score.

BALANCE: 4
    Most of the time the scenario was well-balanced: most fights required you to be on your toes and use each character's fighting techniques to the best of your abilites. A couple fights were far too easy however, at least on Moderate, like the "Iron Boar", which hardly had time to reach me before I had killed it. The final battle was also rather easy, as my hero was never even close to dying.

CREATIVITY: 5
    The definitive high point of the scenario. The time travel mechanism, in which you play in the same village in two different eras, is uniue to this scenario. The fact that your actions in the past change the look of the present-day village adds a lot to the experience. Lastly, as I've already mentioned, the fighting techniques for each individual hero, as well as some enemies, also add a lot to the game.

MAP DESIGN: 4
    The map is well-made, but rather barren. This makes sense as the auhor needs to make room for invisible tiles and such to make the time travel mechanism work, but the overall look of the map does suffer. All things considered, it's still a pretty map, although a few more trees or bushes and some extra elevation could have spruced it up.

STORY & INSTRUCTION: 5
    The story is simple and easy to follow, and the slightly archaic language only adds to the atmosphere. The time travel aspect makes the story more memorable, however, as do the humorous quips from the characters. There are plenty of instructions for the various taunt-based fighting techniques, as well as other hints. All of this makes the scenario worthy of a full score in this category.

ALL IN ALL: A very creative scenario, and a showcase of just how much can be accomplished even on the tiniest of maps. Definitely worth downloading.
    Possidon
    Official Reviewer
    Rating
    Breakdown
    Playability5.0
    Balance5.0
    Creativity5.0
    Map Design4.0
    Story/Instructions5.0
    In the Nick of Time is Night Conqueror’s entry to the 2012 Minigame Competition. The scenario claimed first place in the contest, scoring high points for its creative gameplay and mechanics involving time travel.

Playability: 5
    Minigames are always highly enjoyable scenarios as the small map means designers have to come up with engaging and creative gameplay. In the Nick of Time is a fantastic minigame and highly enjoyable. I’ve played this minigame a number of times and had a great experience every time. This ingenious scenario is well thought out with a very detailed and unique time travel mechanism which allows the characters to travel between two different points in time to

Balance: 5
    The gameplay of this scenario incorporates many duels and mini quests which require you to utilise your three main characters different attributes to win. The balance is very well thought out and is exceptional for this scenario. Balance is always one of the hardest things to get right, and it’s even harder in a minigame due to the lack of space and different gameplay styles. Night Conqueror has clearly put much thought and effort into making this minigame as well balanced as possible. Yes there are one or two quests that may be slightly easy, but there are many that take a lot more tactical thought and strategy to complete.

Creativity: 5
    The scenario shines in its incredible creativity. The unique selling point in this minigame is its flawless time travel mechanism which allows you to travel with your characters between two different points in time. What you do in the past will effect the future. This clearly takes a lot of clever tricks to pull off well and slot of thought has gone into not only making the actually gameplay work but also working out the mechincs of time travel itself for this storyline. Night Conqueror has used a large number of clever trigger tricks and has also had to utilise NewIdeas Invisibility Cloak to make units travel between two points in time. While this is now an old trick it can be easily messed up and this is an amazing example of it working well.

Map Design: 4
    There’s not much you can do with a 25x25 sized map, but even so there are countless examples of beautiful map design on these small map sizes. While the design of the village in this scenario is well done, I can’t help feel as though it’s a little bland. There’s not much colour on the map and for a village it seems quite bare. Obviously you can understand that the author had to leave gaps for the Invisible Tiles that make the unique game mechanics work, but even so, as a whole more could have been done to make them map seem colourful and lively.

Story/Instructions: 5
    There’s a great story to this scenario. As I said previously a lot of thought has gone into it, especially to find a way to make time travel work with creating a billion paradoxes. The backstory is nicely done setting up the story of the evil necromancer and the three heroes quest to stop him devouring the world. There is some great character development, many dramatic and action packed moments and elements of honour throughout. The instructions are also well written and clear. They help the player understand their objectives and clearly guide you through the complex time travel mechanics.

Additional Comments:
    Overall this is an incredible minigame; highly unique, creative, entertaining, and a well deserved winner of the 2012 minigame competition.

Thanks
    Possidon

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
    Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
    Forgot password?
    Rating
    Breakdown
    Playability5.0