Xergues
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Style: Role Playing Only
Number of scenarios: 8
This is a really easy campain.

post me your comments

//Xergues
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
ScourgeofGod It was ok, But that gladiator in the arena was too much to beat.
cn sniper Ever heard of a little thing called...i dont know...SPELL CHECK???????pretty cool except for the horrible spelling
King Joshua III
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance2.0
Creativity2.0
Map Design2.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Gladiator by Xergues ID 1430

Preview:
This is essentially the movie Gladiator spanned out over 8 scenarios. You play as Maximus. You are a leading general in the Roman army, but Caesar gets jelous, and the story goes on from there.
Good Things to Expect:
- A nice story (even though it is a remake)
- Some decent battles
- A nice colesseum (though you can't see that it is nice unless you use marco polo)
Bad Things to Expect:
- Boring walks over boring terrain
- An end scenario that is pointless
- Lots of watching Maximus fight Gladiators which he is predetermined to beat
Playability: 3
I had to walk ALOT, this frustrated me. When I did fight battles, all I had to do was send the troops in, and the battle was over. The maps were all essentailly the same thing. However, the story was well created, and explained well enough to make me want to finish.
SUGGESTIONS:
- Not so much walking
- If someone has to walk a long way, make it interesting
Creativity: 2
Not much here either. It is based off of the movie "Gladiator". It follows the story fairly well. There are no major trigger tricks, no cool eye candy, just a bunch of flat maps, with straight roads.
SUGGESTIONS:
- Redoing a story is fine, but make it your own. (IE, have the jaguars actually appear in the arena, or do other interesting things with your colosseum)
Story/Instructions: 4
I almost always knew what I was doing (albeit, sometimes the map made it difficult to find the objective). The story kept me fairly interested. The hints were always vague at most.
SUGGESTIONS:
- Make objectives come in as you go
- Make sure the player always knows where they are going next
- If you are going to provide hints, try to make them more helpful
- The story was nice, but you could have done more with it
Map Design: 2
Boring map. Very square, most outside maps consisted of a long straight road next to a long straight river. The colosseums were all dirt one with some pallisades. The mansion in a few scenarios was nice, and almost made this a 3, but it needed alot more work as well.
SUGGESTIONS:
- Square is bad most of the time
- Roads need some variation
- Terrain Mixing is also good, and elevation
Balance: 2
All of the battles were easy. In the opening scenario, you fight against some invaders. The invaders are to spaced out and weak to be any real threat though. Also, if you simply walk north a few more seconds, you can attain troops that make it not even possible to lose (not that it really is anyway. There is one moderate battle in the colesseum (I think the 5th scenario).
SUGGESTIONS:
- Make the colosseum battles a little more varied, and impose certain challenges during the fight. (IE. Try to fight Caesar at the end, with a slow health loss, because of the poison)
- The invaders at the beggining would have been tougher if they were in a formation.
- Make the player have to micro-manage at least a little to win the battles
Overall: 2.6
This was a decent campaign. It showed that you were willing to take the time to tell a story the right way. The author could use alot of work in the balance and map design areas. If you especially like the Gladiator movies, you may like this campaign.
rakovsky
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design3.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Playability: 5
The Playability was great because I beat all missions on Hard with no glitches, and I'm an average player.

Balance: 4
I think that the balance was great because I'm an average player and could beat them all on Hard, but this also meant that it was a bit too easy. Typically the gladiator battles were about evenly matched, whereas I avoided fighting in the open field in the normal battles, other than the second Scenario where three soldiers were attacking me.

Creativity: 4
In general, it was creative to make 8 missions where you relive the battles and episodes of Maximus' story. They had you do different tasks like fighting the jaguar gladiator.

However, the Creativity was not amazing. There could have been more eye candy for instance. In other words, my criticism is that the map was still rather simplistic. For instance, the road was just a long wide set of road tiles stretching totally straight over the whole map, not as if there were other passersby walking the roads. I had to put the Speed on VERY FAST to avoid the boredom of walking the whole map with such a plain road.

Still, it was not bad either. The ending scene with the mansion and the gardens really brought back to my mind Maximus' vision about being back with his family.

Map Design: 3
I like the creativity in the Map Design, like making a colosseum, as well as the mansion and its gardens. Still, like I said the creativity was not great- the road for instance was boring because it was so basic. There actually was some fighting on the road in one or more of the missions where you go on a road.

Further, the Designer should have set the Scenario names in the Campaign menu to match the names in the Story section. So for instance all the Scenarios in the Campaign menu are called Roman, Roman 1, Roman 2, etc. But in the Story section they have better names, like Maximus' Final Fight.

The biggest problem was an apparent glitch in the design of SCENARIO #1, whereby you don't have to fight the enemies at all to win. The Designer and the instructions seem to want you to travel eastward along the east-west road in the middle of the map, battle an enemy army and especially its leader, and then meet Caesar. There is a big yellow enemy base camped in the upper section of the map. However, if you go eastward on the road in the middle of the map, there is no marking or split in the road that shows you the way to the battle or makes you go there. If you just stay on the road, you reach Caesar and the mission automatically ends. In other words, all I had to do to achieve victory was to reach Caesar in the upper right, and I didn't have to even fight the enemy,

I consider this a design flaw. It did not hurt the Playability because it did not stop me from winning, but the author's intent seems to be for you to fight the enemy before meeting Caesar and winning. The author should have made fighting that enemy one of the Victory Conditions, but maybe he did not know how to set multiple conditions for a single Victory trigger.

In SCENARIO #5 ("Maximus First Battle in Rome"), the match ended when I killed all except for the two axe throwing soldiers. That is kind of weird because your goal is to kill the enemy team. But on the other hand, those axe throwers can retreat at least as fast as you can walk and they can attack from a distance, unlike your soldiers, which means that you might not catch up to them by the time they kill you.

Story/Instructions: 3
The Story and Instructions were good enough so that I could win the missions, and the story was familiar enough for me from the movie. So I didn't need more instructions or writing to win or get the Story.

A few issues came up with the instructions though. First, the Instructions say that the Roman army is southwest of where you start. In fact, you have to take the road downwards and rightwards, which would normally mean southeast, to get to the Roman army. I guess this means that the designer continues the upwards-rightwards direction to be north and the downwards-rightwards direction to be south. This explains why when the instructions say that Caesar is to the road that runs eastward, he means the road running upwards and rightwards.

Second, the Game Instructions in some of the middle missions refer to a "pin." The Designer meant "pen", as in "Take the gladiator to the pen to the southwest."

Additional Comments:

For SCENARIO #6, Maximus vs. Jaguar Gladiator, I beat it on Hard by going around the jaguars to get to the enemy.

For SCENARIO #7, (MAXIMUS FINAL FIGHT), I found it useful knowing that there is a feature of AOE1 where your unit strikes first if he is standing still when an enemy approaches him to attack your unit. So you can move your unit near the enemy, the enemy will move to attack your unit, your unit automatically counterattacks, and your unit has the advantage. I learned this from an AOE1 gladiator scenario.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance3.0
Creativity3.0