Recent Updates

Showcase Scenarios » Jerusalem 65AD

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Jerusalem 65AD

Author File Description
Kraken297
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
This is a reconstruction of the ancient Jerusalem in about 65AD. The city is a maximum accurately made reconstruction with the important buildings having there names. The reconstruction was made with the use of WFS' Rome at War modpack, about half the city is in roman style.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
rakovsky
Rating
Rating: 4.5
Should I turn on Lock teams? I did not.

Overall, it was a very pretty map, but I have some minor criticisms. One that comes to mind is that the Designer could have made roads traveling from the city to the edge of the map. As it stands now, the Designer made the city within the walls and out units outside the city, but in reality there would have been buildings and roads and other structures outside the city walls too, like some of the pools outside the city walls.

The Orange Persian Ally doesn't have a set name, so it shows up with random names like Emperor Hormizd.

In the middle of the city there is a long oval of gates that looks like a stadium and it has horses and villagers. Both are for players titled Jerusalem and are the Byzantine Civ. ie. the horses are not Gaia units. It's rather strange, but the horses trample the villagers near them. My best guess for how this is possible is that they belong to two different Byzantine "Jerusalem" Players and aren't set to ally. It's weird because nothing else AFAIK is attacking those villagers. Maybe it just happens when horses run too close to villagers or they cross the horse's path...

It is worth noting that this map is actually directionally inverted. In the real Jerusalem, the Antonia fortress was on the northwest side of the Temple Mount area, which is on the east side of Jerusalem. In this scenario, the Temple mount is on the left side of the city, which one would think is west. And the Antonia fortress is on the lower side of the Temple Mount area, which one would think of as south.

On HARD, I took the relic and put it in my monastery/temple on the Temple Mount. The relic is already next to it. Then I had the relic go out of that temple. About as soon as I did this, the game declared me victorious and my Orange Persian ally resigned. I tried doing it again and that beat the mission for me. This must be the trigger to win the mission. It reminds me of how in one of the decoration Scenarios, in order to win you need to garrison a unit in the Roman tower. The idea is that you can walk around the map and then use that trigger to quit when you want. It would have been best to have this in the instructions' Hints section. The Designer could have wanted that trigger as an Easter Egg, or he might have just made it for his own use when designing it.

Additional Comments:

I don't know if the RAW Mod included an Aqueduct, but historically in the mid 1st century Jerusalem had one IIRC, and at least one of the AOK DLCs, if not AOK itself, had an aqueduct tile/building that you could make like you could walls.

You actually don't start in the highest age. You have one villager and you have carts, so you can use them to get resources and advance...

The upper end (actually SW of Jerusalem in real life) has a pyramid called David's Tomb. There is a theory that this is not actually David's tomb, and I think that this theory is probably correct. David in the Bible was buried someplace else, and that was in the Kidron valley IIRC. A tradition or story grew that the great tomb in what is now called the Cenacle was David's Tomb, but I think that the other theory is probably right that this tomb was actually one that the Byzantines made for St. Stephen. In the 1st century I suppose that this building was used by the Jewish Christians.

The Persians have a Town Center just below yours. To find yours, press the H button as a shortcut hotkey.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Statistics
Downloads:488
Favorites: [Who?]0
Size:77.90 KB