Recent Updates

Single Player Scenarios » Xiongnu Leader Of The Huns

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Xiongnu Leader Of The Huns

Author File Description
Oghuz Khan
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
A tribe known as the Xiongnu existed in western China at the time of the Han Dynasty (the last two centuries BC). They divided into two groups, the smaller of which migrated southwards. The majority, however, went north-west in search of new homes. They found their way into the valley of the Volga and, in the second half of the Fourth Century, attacked the Alans (a people related to the Sarmatians, who lived between the Volga and the Don).

After routing the Alans, they then went on to conquer the Ostrogoths and drive the Visigoths westwards. Early in the Fifth Century, they seem to have been reinforced by fresh hordes, and had become so powerful that, by the time of the Emperor Theodosius the Great, the Romans felt obliged to pay them a substantial tribute. Still, the Hunnic Empire could not pose a serious threat to the Empire; its economy was too primitive, its internal divisions too great, and Hunnic skills in strategy and siege-craft too lacking to defeat a sophisticated, organised opponent.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Oghuz Khan
File Author
If you have a comment a bouth the Campaign. send it......

I hope you like't it .

it is my first Campaign....
watchwood Really? I'll take a look at it, and try to give you a fair oppinion.
watchwood Really? I'll take a look at it, and try to give you a fair oppinion.
Austin Powers
(id: Emperor_Julian)
From what I saw your a good map designer but need a little help on you english. Throw in a few more triggers and some eye candy and this would be a great campaign.
watchwood
Rating
Breakdown
Playability2.0
Balance2.0
Creativity3.0
Map Design3.0
Story/Instructions3.0
Playability:

This was an interesting campaign. The story was fairly original, there were no bugs, and it was fast enough paced that I didn't get bored easily. I think that the author of this work has some serious potential. The only real problem was that the AI gave kept resigning. 2

Balance:

This work is a little too easy for the average player, but I think it would be good for anyone new to this game. 2

Creativity:

While not the most original of stories, or playing styles, it is very evident that some serious effort went into this work. 3

Map Design:

The map design was very interesting. On one hand, the area in the top of the map, was a very well done snow region, with just a few minor problems. On the other hand, the rest of the map uses tons of grass, with good forests, but little other ground terrain. The author put a lot of islands of different sizes into the ocean, but they seem a last minute thing, as the water doesn't really shallow around any of them. 3

Story/Instructions:

Also a big problem point here. While the story is interesting, the instructions are very few, and rather vague. Though many of the enemy troops do say thing when they spot your forces, the whole work is riddled with spelling mistakes and grammer issues. 3

Good Points:
-decent map work
-interesting story

Bad Points:
-horrible grammer and spelling
-few instructions
-too easy
rakovsky The Campaign File is called "The end of Han Dynasty".

The actual end of the Han Dynasty came around the 190's-c. 220 AD, depending on whether you want to date it to the last Han Emperor's death or to his loss of power.

The Story for the first scenario is the same as what you see in the campaign description on this page, which talks about the Xiongnu tribe in the time of the Han Dynasty in the last two centuries BC.

[Edited on 05/03/21 @ 07:42 PM]

rakovsky
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions3.0
Playability: 5
It was very Playable because it worked and the balance wasn't too hard and the instructions were straightforward.

Balance: 5
The balance was good. I beat it on Moderate and looking back, I could have beaten it on hard if I used my troops to look for the Han leader once I got inside the Yellow castle instead of focusing my attacks on trying to take down the yellow barracks. I like how he gave you just enough soldiers to storm the defenses successfully.

Creativity: 5
I thought it was neat in terms of Creativity because of how you have to fight multiple armies inside about two two sets of walled defenses, namely the Red walled defense line and then the yellow one. There were alot of other neat touches, intended or not, like how the Yellow navy began fighting my outposts on Hard mode in the north after my troops had already won the opening battle and moved further south.

Map Design: 4
I liked the map design because of the theme of using your fixed force Hun cavalry army to attack essentially a few sets of combined settlements and defenses- the red walls and base, then the blue settlement, and then the green army camp, and finally the yellow castle area.

The red castle was destroyed automatically without an actual fight, which was a relief because I just had one siege engine. It is OK in terms of gameplay challenge, but does not really make sense in some kind of conceptual Storyline way. It would have made more sense to give the player more siege weapons to actually take down the castle instead of it just somehow falling apart on its own. I am kind of torn between considering it more of a Story problem or a Map Design one. Maybe the designer did not want to give you tons of siege engines because he didn't want you to use them to destroy much of the wall.

------------------------------

Story/Instructions: 3

This area could use some expansion and improvement. But overall the story and instructions were straightforward enough so that it wasn't a problem.

First, it could use a picture for the opening instruction screen.

Second, the instructions say to bring the two hero generals together. But bringing my two hero generals together like the Instructions said didn't seem to do anything in terms of triggers. I didn't notice any chat message appearing for instance as soon as I took my hero from the north to meet the general in the middle. So it wasn't clear that having the two generals physically near each other was actually a required objective in terms of the Victory Conditions, but that isn't a big deal.

Third, it wasn't clear who the main characters were or if they were fictional. The protagonist is a Xiongnu leader named "Xiongnu." I think that he is fictional. Chanyu is a typical name used for the Xiongnu tribe's rulers historically. In the scenario, you destroy the kill "Han" or the "Han Dynasty" who is hiding in his castle. Well, historically the Xiongnu tribe did not kill any Han emperor, but rather the Han Chinese drove out the Xiongnu from China. So this feels a bit sloppy, since the Designer could have used more realistic names instead of the Xiongnu and Han leaders being named "Xiongnu" and "Han," respectively. Imagine a scenario where you had to fight the leader of Germany and the German leader was named "German," for example. This is really my main criticism of the Story.

------------------------------

Additional Comments:

Playing on Hard, my forces took a major hit in the opening battle near General Tarcin. I defeated Green, Red, and Light Blue, and I got the priest. The red castle deleted itself with a Chat message about being rumblet (I guess it meant rumbled) not long after I found it. My priest got killed by the enemies spawning hard out of the Yellow barracks while I was attacking the Yellow base.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.5
Balance3.5
Creativity4.0