Author File Description
Possidon
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Style: Other

Where am I?
What is this place?
Who am I?

You've just woken up on a strange island. You have no idea where you are or how you got here. You can't even remember who you are. Explore the Island trying to unlock your past memories, fight of ghosts from the past and discover the true purpose of your life, and the mysteries of The Island.

This scenario is primarily cinematic based, but there are various playable parts which includes lots of exploration of The Island, as well a numerous one-on-one duels and fights. It is mainly a mix between Cinematic, RPG, as well as a bit of Puzzle as well. I hope you enjoy it.

Features:
• Various Music files and Sound Effects
• Time Jumping between the Past and the Present via Flashbacks
• A twisting storyline that can be told in which ever way you chose
• 2 different endings

I hope you enjoy playing Across the Sea.
Please comment and Review

This scenario received 3rd Place in the 2014 Minigame Competition.

This Scenario was nominated for Best Minigame, Best Score & Best Story at the 2014 Game of the Year Awards.

Possidon
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Lord Basse
Official Reviewer
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance3.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions4.0
PLAYABILITY: 3-
This scenario has the potential to be a very interesting non-linear mystery story, but unfortunately it falls flat due to a barrage of bugs and unstable triggerwork. The idea for the scenario is interesting: a sort of mix between a coming of age story, Castaway and Lost. The parts that work are also quite fun to play, like the initial "chapters" with the two women, and the man scouting the island. Then it starts to break down completely: several flashbacks can easily be triggered out of order, leaving you with several main character units called "Man". One flashback even plays twice, resulting in an immediate loss the second time around, as the hero unit intended for the flashback has already been removed from the map. All in all, while the parts that work are pretty fun, the scenario still needs a complete trigger overhaul to live up to its true potential.

BALANCE: 3-
The balance is another weak point of the scenario. There are few battles, and those we do get to play are all on the easier side, even om Moderate difficulty. All you have to do is get into position to use the up-hill attack advantage, and sit back and wait for the duel to finish. The most challenging battles are probably with the ghost warriors that appear at random (and go by without comment from the main character).

CREATIVITY: 4
The premise is very interesting, and the use of music and sound effects creates a great, mysterious atmosphere, not unlike that of Lost. The non-linear way the story unfolds is also a creative touch. It's also one of very few scenarios where you have a woman giving birth. All in all, solid and definitely above average, although the scenario needs more work before the premise can come into full bloom.

MAP DESIGN: 4
The map is pretty and makes good use of terrain mixing, elevation and a couple design tricks, like ice for waves at the shoreline. Some parts look a bit too simplistic, however, like the left corner with the "Source", and there's nothing that really stands out. Still, it's a solid piece of work.

STORY & INSTRUCTIONS: 4
As mentioned before, the premise and the story is quite interesting, and it would be interesting to see how it actually ends. The instructions are also helpful, even though most of the gameplay (when it's not interrupted by bugs) is pretty self-expanatory. As it is, however, it needs more work to become a truly great story.
Knaber In the end i ended up with two men (two of the woad raiders) :P
Possidon
Official Reviewer
File Author
Thanks for the review Basse. I had to rush the ending and didn't really have time for much playtesting. I'll try to update it at some point to make it properly playable. Will you be willing to update your review when that happens?
RealZeroEmpires Hey, I attempted to play this through but I'm stuck at the options part. For some reason when I stand on the flag behind Jared nothing happens and it only allows me to progress by stepping on the front flag. Any idea why?
Possidon
Official Reviewer
File Author
This Scenario is very bugged seeing as I never had a chance to playtest it before the deadline to the competition. I'm planning to fix all of the bugs very soon, so when I have come back nd have a go.
RealZeroEmpires How's it going? I'd love to finish the play-through for Youtube :)
Possidon
Official Reviewer
File Author
Hi RealZeroEmpires.
I haven't had much chance to fix this yet, but I'm honoured that you want to do a Youtube Playthrough. I know you're channel is very popular. I'm busy with real life work and my Vanilla Contest entry at the moment. I'll let you know as soon as I've finished it.
Possidon

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance3.0