Version: Other Modpack
Required Modpack (if not included with the download): Still in the Dark Age mod
Style: Other
My name is Maximus.

My world is fire...
And blood.

A Roman reduced to a single instinct...

Survive.

Play as Maximus, survive, and escape the desert on the road to Rome.

This scenario requires the Still in the Dark Age mod
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
marotinho Hi i just played your campaign.
I think you can increase the LOS of your units, the map is to big and empty to scout with the actual LOS.
Also you can add some tips where to go.
The game crashed when the camel entered the city gate.
I like very much the concept of the camel and the palisade walls are beutifull.
Keep improving the campaign, i'm willing to test it again.
MrMew
File Author
This scenario requires the 1.4rc userpatch to be installed as well. A 1.0c version will be uploaded shortly but means some of the characters may lose their name.
rakovsky
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions2.0
Playability: 4
The Playability was fine except for what I got stuck on that I think should have been explained in the Hints.

Balance: 5
The balance was good. I beat it on Hard but there were parts that were challenging, like having the avoid the soldiers at the oasis and village and escaping from the anxilla who follows you when you get the woman villager. On HARD, I got killed twice by the horse soldier south of the eastern oasis in the village there. I can't ride faster than him with my average speed to get away. Rather, he occasionally rides up and stabs me as I flee him. It's OK though if I make it to the NW town and meet the slavery objective when he is following me, as the town lets me in.

Creativity: 5
It was very creative. It had good music and turn of events.

Map Design: 4
Generally it was good map design due to the creativity, but there were a few issues.

If you take your Maximus unit all the way west you can find an oasis, but bringing him by it doesn't stop his health from going down. Going in all 4 directions I saw no other water so to check, I used the Marco cheat and saw that there is also water in the NE, which served to quench his thirst. The instructions or Hints should be specific about how he needs to go to the NE oasis, because otherwise it doesn't make sense how going to the western one wouldn't work. It seems that this issue could have been addressed either by adding in a trigger involving the western oasis that matched the eastern one, or else adding in something in the instructions, or else just deleting the western oasis to avoid confusion.

A weird little issue is how there are two villagers trapped at the very bottom corner under a cliff. I am guessing that the Designer meant it as a kind of distraction for you as the Player to want to enslave them to meet your goal. However, in my case it was enough of a distraction that I wrongly thought that those were the villager units that I was supposed to capture. I didn't notice the villager in the east village until I had been defeated one time and saw the postgame map. I think that the Hints should explain that the villagers are near tents, because otherwise the Player can easily miss the target villagers.

Story/Instructions: 2
Well, there were a Story and instructions, and the instructions were not mistaken, so it is not a 1.

For what it's worth, there was no part like this from the movie Gladiator where you enslave people. I guess that you can interpret it as a mix of the Mad Max story and the Gladiator story of Maximus. That does not make it a bad scenario, but it would have been better to have more explanation about the story.

The instructions don't say where to put the Mad Maximus sound file. I guess that it goes in Age of Empires\sound\scenario , where sound files for scenarios normally go.

One of the main areas to improve the instructions or at least the Hints is to explain how to capture the villagers.

By attacking the villager by the western Oasis, I got one of the "slaves".

So here is my challenge- I can carry one person at a time only, apparently. So when I go to the town in the NW, I can drop off a slave, but he does not stay put, but rather quickly walks east. It turns out that if you pause it and treat you camel as if he is a garrisoning tower, you can play around with clicking so that when you drop off a villager, he will stay where you have clicked. This should have been explained in the instructions.

Additional Comments:
It requires "Still in the Dark Age" mod, which only works on the original AOE2 version but not the AOK: HD Steam version due to the DLC system not recognizing a unit number ID. I don't know if it works on Compatibility Patch mode in AOK HD, but I didn't get the Compatibility Patch to work on my Windows 7 system.

It has only 1 scenario, but it's a good one. Overall, it's a good scenario/campaign.

The Designer commented: "This scenario requires the 1.4c userpatch to be installed as well. A 1.0c version will be uploaded shortly but means some of the characters may lose their name."
In the 1.0c version from Userpatch 1,5, Maximus' unit has his name in the first mission. But when he got on a camel, his name was just Nomad. It seems that this was also the case when I played it on v.1.4 as I remember.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0