Recent Updates

Utilities » Microsoft Paint Win98

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Microsoft Paint Win98

Author File Description
Cataphract887
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
This file contains Microsoft Paint from Windows98. The purpose of this file is to provide the most simple method possible for converting bitmap images to 256 color format so they appear correctly when ingame without needing to use any more advanced but more complicated software.

To use, open the exe and drag 'n drop the scenariobkg.bmp from your aoc folder into paint, then copy paste whatever image you like into the paint program. Save as 256 colors.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Mahazona You can convert from the slp editor directly.
Cataphract887
Official Reviewer
File Author
Im sure there are any number of ways to do it. This file isnt aimed at professional modders in the community here. Its simply an option thats out there to use. Personally I spent ages banging my head against the wall as various programs wouldnt cooperate with me to make an actual 256 color image. User error for sure, but this way is simple and works for me.
tonoch Great! I will try to have that in my personalized campaigns!
Sebastien
Staff
As someone else mentioned, Turtlepack already has this function.

The MS paint 256 conversion should be used as a last resort as the end result is usually quite bad.
Possidon
Official Reviewer
Rating
Breakdown
Usefulness/Novelty2.5
Quality/Instructions4.0
This upload from Cataphract887 includes a free version of the Windows 98 version of Microsoft Paint. The idea of this upload is to provide new and less experienced players a simple and alternative way of editing bitmap files and saving them into AOK’s 256 colour pallet. The idea of this is to allow people a way to edit these programs for free, rather than having to pay for more professional programs such as Photoshop or use more complicated free software like GIMP.

Whilst this works as a nice alternative for editing the AOK pallet, I feel that this upload is totally unnecessary. This program would have worked well for people modding with Mod Pack Studio (MPS) as back then kidders had to use paint to remove the background from their images, what we used to call the White Box kf Doom, however due to its age MPS is no longer used as a modding tool due to not working on any operating software higher that Windows XP. These day people use Turtle Pack or SLX Studio, both of which come with their own pallet converter and can fix all of the problems that most people used to use Paint for.

However, personally I have found a use for this upload. I am one of the few players that play and mod AOK on a Mac. With a Mac you obviously cannot get Paint so this provides me with a free version of Paint that I can use for simple graphics editing. Whilst I have used it occasionally for a few quick jobs, I have the privilege of having a copy of Photoshop which I prefer to use, but if you play on Mac and don’t have the ability to use Photoshop, then this could be a nice alternative.

Overall this is a good upload which works perfectly but is very limited in its use.

Thanks
Possidon

[Edited on 08/08/19 @ 07:59 AM]

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown