Author File Description
Filthydelphia
(id: Al_Kharn the Great)
File Details
Version: Other Modpack
Required Modpack (if not included with the download): Definitive Edition
Style: Puzzle
Screenshot:
"You've got an immortal, shapeshifting monkey king and you want to 'talk to them'?" - the incredulous Monkey

Join Monkey, Pigsy, Sandy, and a reluctant, pacifist monk on a journey to the edges of the known world in this re-telling of the classic Chinese legend.

Features:
  • Unique puzzle-based gameplay that will challenge your thinking and timing
  • Vibrant characters and humor, including the immortal, shapeshifting monkey king, Sun Wukong

About the Author:
    Filthydelphia (xbox: PhillySouljah) is the award-winning designer of historical custom campaigns and official content for the Age of Empires franchise. Part of the Forgotten Empires campaign team, his works include the Portuguese, Burmese, Bulgarian, Italian, and Indian campaigns featured in Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition as well as several campaigns in Age of Empires: Definitive Edition.
  • AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
    Filthydelphia
    File Author
    Update 20200405
    - Player can no longer change diplomacy with other factions which led to scenario-breaking events.
    - Added reminder to go to the Monastery in Adinapur before continuing to Nalanda.
    - Pigsy is now appropriately a King unit instead of a Merchant.
    - Replaced Father unit with King unit as intended.
    - Magistrate's icon updated to reflect the Merchant unit.
    - Added additional hint for entering the Gokturk town.
    - Fixed cosmetic issue on final victory slide.
    Jazsta123 Hey I don't seem to be able to disable lock teams, seems it is necessary to progress the game

Edit: Nevermind I just saw your update, guess I'll find another way

[Edited on 04/08/20 @ 08:46 AM]

Filthydelphia
    File Author
    Update 20200412
    - Fixed bug where warning about the need to visit the Indian Monastery would fire after the Monastery was successfully visited.
    Khush352 How to install it?
    Filthydelphia
    File Author
    Khush352, honestly, the easiest way to install is to open up Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition, go into the in-game mod manager and search for "A Journey to the West". If you subscribe there, it will automatically download, but I recommend restarting your game just to make sure all appropriate assets (like slide images) are installed and loaded. Hope that helps!
    ciaran8989 Enjoying the campaign, its a nice change of pace. But how do you find lumber to build a dock? I walked around the desert like a fool for an hour
    kud13
    Rating
    Breakdown
    Playability5.0
    Balance4.0
    Creativity5.0
    Map Design5.0
    Story/Instructions4.0
    A Journey to the West is a delightful puzzle scenario where the player takes control of a Buddhist monk who must make his way from the Imperial capital of Chang'An all the way to India, being assisted by a number of fun characters, in what is a humorous Age of Empires II take on the adventures of the moneky-king Sun Wukong. It was played on Moderate difficulty.

Playability: 5
    (Insert Playability analysis here)

It plays well. I have had no bug, and although I was stumped a few times and required a few restarts, overall, it works well. You are given multiple unit types to juggle sometimes, as the scenario is largely fixed force, with the units you control largely being dictated by the story. There's a good balance of stealth, puzzles and some light challenges involving the monk unit's special abilities.

Balance: 4
    (Insert Balance analysis here)

Overall, all puzzles are a pretty clever application of the Age of Empire's core mechanics (hint: garrison-hopping). However, since Monks play a core part of the scenario, and there's the added restriction not to kill any human units (though if they, say, get mauled to death by a tiger, that's not considered *you* killing them), Conversion plays a pretty big part. And, as we all now, conversion can be a bit... random. This means that most reloads I've had to do would be when I positioned my units the way the game wanted me to, but then someone would get killed, because a unit I needed to convert would prove to be more resistant than usual. There's also a point in the game where incredible monk micro is required; I'm not ashamed to say I cheated through that with abusing the Pause button, due to it being a pretty major difficulty spike;

These weren't huge frustrations, but there were a few of them, and they did add up. I realize this randomness isn't something the deigner could really control, but I've still gotta dock a point there.

Creativity: 5
    For such a small map, with a limited unit roster, the designer squeezed a lot out of the scenario. building puzzles, stealth sections, micro-intensive puzzles, conversion tasks... there's a lot here to unpack, and it all works well within the story. no complaints.

Map Design: 5
    The map was varied, with the different sections representing different lands the player's party visited being well-done. The Fire Mountains were a creative touch, even though teh FireTower is probably my least favourite unit/building in all of Age of Empires II. The sceanrio is very linear, and the design played nicely into that, always leading the player along.

Story/Instructions: 4
    (Insert Story/Instructions analysis here)
    The story is clear, and told through in-game dialogue. The issue here is a bit subjective: the humour. The charaacters (primarily Monkey) try to maintain a comedic tone throughout, and sometimes, the writing just didn't work for me. Other than that, no issues: spelling and grammar were top-notch, and the Hints made it clear that all puzzles are solve-able... which helped to keep me going in some frustrating moments.

Additional Comments:
    A Journey to the West is a fun little puzzle minigame that's well designed, looks great, but can have a bit of hit-or-miss humour, and may require some frustrating reloads, if your monks' conversions don't always go as planned.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
    Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
    Forgot password?
    Rating
    Breakdown
    Playability5.0
    Balance4.0
    Creativity5.0