Download File Post Review Post Comment

Abubakari the Seafarer

Author File Description
Sgt_p3pp3r
File Details
Version: Age of Empires II: DE
Style: Mix
Screenshot:
Speculative history campaign, depicting the Malians traveling to South America. Includes original artwork, and a story inspired by real historical figures.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Possidon
Official Reviewer
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.0
Creativity3.0
Map Design3.0
Story/Instructions3.0
Abubakari the Seafarer is a single player scenario by Sgt_p3pp3r. The scenario is based on the supposed tale of Mansa Abu Bakr II, ruler of the Mali Empire who supposedly disappeared whilst exploring the Atlantic Ocean. The scenario is set on the Eastern shores of South American and speculates what might have happened to Abubakari if he did find his way to the New World.

Playability: 4
The scenario is short but well made. After surviving a shipwreck you must rescue your men from the natives and then defend yourselves from various attacks from native tribesmen. The scenario is pretty good fun and plays very well, with no visible bugs. Whilst it would probably be considered pretty easy for some, the overall scenario is enjoyable.

Balance: 4
The Balance was tricky to judge. On the most part I found the scenario pretty easy. I had a good group of strong units who would easily take down the weaker natives. But there were tricky moments, especially when it came to taking down a watch tower or large native village. On the most part I would score this at a 4 because I think it is mostly on the easy side, but less experience players would probably find it challenge, but more experienced players would breeze through it with ease.

Creativity: 3
The scenario is a creative look at an alternative history. The idea of African soldier fighting South American natives is amusing but the author has written the story to make it sound perfect plausible. There were some clever little ideas in the scenario, especially the exploration through the jungle to rescue your men from the natives.

Map Design: 3
Set on the Eastern shores of South America the map consists of a nicely designed beach and a think dense jungle with many winding paths throughout. Scattered in the jungle openings were a couple of native villages. Overall the map design shows promise but could have been handled a little better. The beach was nicely designed with a nice sand line blending into the jungle behind it. Waves on the shoreline are also present as is suitable eye candy such as small rocks and the shipwrecks. The rest of the map is just painted over with a thick jungle brush with some paths cut through it. Whilst it does the job at showcasing a jungle I would much prefer to see a little more detail within it. Maybe make the jungle slightly less dense to allow for more eye-candy and details. A little more use of different terrain beyond just leaves and dirt would have also added to the realism and aesthetics of the map too. I also thought that the map was a little flat and could have used some elevation to help add to the realism of the setting.

Story/Instructions: 3
The story is well done which as previously stated, takes a creative look an alternate history where Abubakari survive his journey and landed in the New World. The story is setup well enough in the introductory screen, and is develop a little as the scenario progresses and you rescue more and more men, but it could do with a little more development and detail, helping the player understand what exactly is going on. The instructions are OK but could have a little more detail. There is enough to let the player know the basics of what to do, but more guidance and hints to actually explain the mission and where to go would be welcome.

Additional Comments:
Overall this is a nice little scenario from a new design which showcases alot of potential and is good fun.

Thanks
Possidon

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0