Single Player Scenarios » The opening battle of "Gladiator"

Download File Post Review Post Comment

The opening battle of "Gladiator"

Author File Description
GcreedG
File Details
Version: Age of Kings 1.0
Style: Fixed Force
This is basically the first 20 minutes of the Movie "Gladiator" where the Romans under Maximus fight the Germans.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
desd You should use RoR to make this more realistic. I.E.: In AoK, Rome has fallen! There is no Rome!, but in The Rise of Rome, there is a Rome.

[Edited on 03/03/09 @ 06:55 PM]

Danielthemaster
Rating
Breakdown
Playability1.0
Balance1.0
Creativity1.0
Map Design1.0
Story/Instructions1.0
How did this get so many downloads.

Playability - You got lots of Cataphracts and Men at Arms to slaughter Militia and few Spearmen. There was no trigger.

Balance - Cataphracts can take Militia's out with ease, since you get about 20 Cataphracts you can easily win against about 50 Militia.

Creativity - Men at Arms and Cataphracts murdering Militia, that's not creative is it.

Map Design - There was some forest and I was thinking of a 2 but nearly all the map was grass.

Story/Instructions - There were no instructions and there was no story. You just fought against some team called Germania since I had not seen the movie I did not understand.

[Edited on 03/03/09 @ 05:48 PM]

Tanneur99
Official Reviewer
Rating
Breakdown
Playability1.0
Balance1.0
Creativity1.0
Map Design3.0
Story/Instructions1.0
The opening battle of "Gladiator" is a FF you play the Roman side.

PLAYABILITY: That was no fun at all. It takes longer to download and unzip than to play the scenario. The author wrote that his scenario shows the first 20 minutes of the movie "Gladiator" but after 1:43 minutes the battle finished. To get a victory signal you have to find and slaughter the last German scouting unit. 1

BALANCE: In this fictional battle, the Post-Imperial Roman army fights with champions, longbow-men, scorpions and onagers against Germans with militias and archers from the Dark Age. I played the scenario on the hard level and won without touching the mouse. Nevertheless, as you have control of the units, it is not a cinematic. 1

CREATIVITY: The designer put two mountains and some elevations on his map, there are no more creative aspects to mention. 1+

MAP DESIGN: The map is about random map quality. 3-

STORY/INSTRUCTIONS: There was no story, no objective, no hint and no history. 1

OVERALL: It is a one sided battle based on a movie which was not historical.

SUGGESTIONS: Play some higher rated scenarios. Make up a story and write about battles confronting the Romans and the Germans and most important make the scenario more challenging. If you want the enemy in the Dark Age, have the Romans in the Castle Age. If you want the Romans Post-Imperial, have the enemy in Castle Age and delete the Roman scorpions, onagers and some of their cataphracts.

IN CLOSING: I do not recommend the scenario.

[Edited on 03/03/09 @ 06:01 PM]

MythWriter
Rating
Breakdown
Playability1.0
Balance1.0
Creativity1.0
Map Design2.0
Story/Instructions1.0
The opening battle of "Gladiator" is a short scenario depicting, well, the opening battle of "Gladiator". However, it's only worth a download if you've had a really stressful day and you want to kill 262 Militia, Archers and Spearmen in various ways.

Seeing the terrible reviews this scenario got, I downloaded it in the hopes of being pleasantly surprised. Well...

Playability: 1
Playability can't hope to receive much more than a 1 if it is possible to win without clicking a single button. All you really need to do is sit back and watch the enemy DIE! Then you have to chase down a scout - a ridiculously annoying task.

Balance: 1
As above. It's ridiculously easy. The only way one could lose would be to send your men into the enemy army and put them on Stand Still mode. And that would take hours. If you let your men fight, the enemies are wiped out in a matter of two minutes.

Creativity: 1
There were no creative aspects, so you're not getting any points here. Maximus (who, by the way, I couldn't be bothered to task towards the battle) is represented by the "Belisarius" unit.

Map Design: 2
This was the only feature that came even close to redeeming. The map actually looked okay, with forests and grassland alternating and a few mountains thrown in for good luck. But it simply wasn't enough to catch my attention. Try adding some trenches, like they had in the movie.

Story/Instructions: 1
No instructions. To be fair, it was pretty self-explanatory. I had won before I even thought to check my instructions.

Additional Comments: A great stress reliever! But nothing to be taken seriously.

[Edited on 03/03/09 @ 06:52 PM]

rakovsky
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance2.0
Creativity3.0
Map Design3.0
Story/Instructions2.0
Playability: 5
The Playability was great because it worked fine with no glitches. I see that the other reviewers gave it all 1s and 2s, but I think that they were probably unhappy about the Balance and Creativity issues. I have played games with glitches, whereas this one didn't have any, so I was pretty happy.

There was a little issue where one of the enemies got away and I had to hunt him down, which was kind of annoying, but not really bad because it gave me a chance to explore the map.

Balance: 2
The balance was bad because it was so one sided in my favor. I didn't have to do anything to effectively win the battle, although I did have to use my soldiers to hunt for the enemy that escaped.

On the other hand, I don't give it a 1 because I was in the mood for something pretty easy. Very easy missions have their place too. I just got done one called Fort Masada that took a pretty long time, so it was nice to play a short one. Besides, in some real battles the Romans did vastly have overwhelming odds in their favor. They were probably the strongest army of their time.

Creativity: 3
The Creativity was passable because the Designer did make a forest with clearings and paths and hills, as well as designing a layout of the ranks of both sides fighting each other. On the other hand, it wasn't something amazing. Probably the biggest downside with creativity was failure to put anything in the Story or Instructions sections, although there were no side quests or action either. For instance, the Designer could have had Maximus fight some strong warriors at the beginning. But instead, he could basically sit back and watch the action and still win.

Map Design: 3
The map design was passable because it had a forest with trees and paths to keep it from being just a plain empty space. But it was not great either. It wasn't like it had eye candy like rivers with fish or bushes. It had a hills and a mountain. Likewise, the design of having enemies lined up against each other with some Roman units watching was Okay and ad some variety, but also not amazing.

Story/Instructions: 2
This was the weakest part. The Story is given as Maximus the Gladiator's opening battle from the movie, so you know what is happening. Plus, the goal is the Standard Victory setting of having to defeat the enemies, so the instructions to know what to do aren't lacking. So it is not totally awful and doesn't get a 1. On the other hand, there is practically nothing else in the way of a Story or instructions.

Additional Comments:
Usually I don't like to give 1s out unless a map is really lacking something that it needs to work. One of the toughest aspects of scenarios are those where the scenario is otherwise great but something is wrong or missing to make it work. But this scenario wasn't missing those things.

I beat it easily on Hard, and another reviewer called it "A great stress reliever! But nothing to be taken seriously." So I agree with the stress reliever part. The serious part is if you are interested in the topic of Maximus or the time period, then it is worth noticing.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability2.0
Balance1.3
Creativity1.5