Single Player Scenarios » Gladiator-the first battle

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Gladiator-the first battle

Author File Description
Parappa
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Style: Fixed Force
Another Gladiator scenario? Yep...this is my attempt to make a gladiator scenario abou the beginning battle of the movie..unlike the ones before this one (trust me, I have played them all) I think this one is the only one where actual triggers have been used. (not just renaming people, that requires no skills) I don't want to say anymore...because it isn't that great....

this zip file includes the following:
1)scenario file
2)background music
3) Ai file

enjoy! This took me about 3 days to make.....
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Pokemon QUILz Cool, i can't wait until i see it! Because i have not seen it yet :-)
MythWriter
Rating
Breakdown
Playability2.0
Balance4.0
Creativity3.0
Map Design2.0
Story/Instructions2.0
Gladiator-the first battle is a scenario based on the opening scene of the epic historical movie, Gladiator. In this battle, you take command of Maximus, a Roman general, to defeat the Germanic barbarians.

Playability: 2
This was a weak point of this scenario. It was often difficult to figure out what to do (more about that in the Story/Instructions section). The player only gets control of the Roman Army and scorpions for half a minute or so. After that, your only army is a small band of cavalry, a dog, and General Maximus himself. What I did was to quickly send every single infantry unit to the front before they switched control and became inert. I barely made it! Then, I used Maximus' cavalry to bait the remaining barbarians back to Caesar and his Cataphract guards. Also, it was short.

Balance: 4
This was by far the strongest point in the scenario. It was very challenging, especially since for most of the battle, one only controls about ten units. I had to restart several times while playing.

Creativity: 3
Some fairly basic triggers were used - renaming, explosions to represent trebuchet fire, conversations, patrolling guards et cetera. They weren't enough to truly captivate me, but they served the purpose.

Map Design: 2
Another weak point. The map was mainly snowy fields and forests, with some blocky elevation and a Roman camp. This camp especially looked rather unrealistic, with row after row of pavilions.

Story/Instructions: 2
Weakest point. There was a bit of story told with Maximus' cries of "Strength and honor!", but the instructions were sparse - "Maximus must live" -.

Additional Comments: It's not a bad start. You said you worked on this for three days - it's clear to see that that's the case. A bit more work on the map and some extra triggers would help, but you really need to change something about the playability aspect of this scenario, because at times I was just plain stumped.

[Edited on 03/03/09 @ 07:10 PM]

rakovsky
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions2.0
Playability: 4
It was Playable because I could beat it on Easiest and the game worked fine. There is a little playability issue in that the instructions are not clear enough that you need to avoid going directly to your troops but rather must take a back route or else you end up going into the battle and starting the battle.

Balance: 5
This was the best part because I was able to beat it on Easiest and am not sure if I could beat it on Standard, yet I was nonetheless able to beat it on EASIEST without it being hard on that setting.

Creativity: 5
This was also pretty good because it had dialogue and a camp array for the Romans and the dog was a nice touch and you had tents and had a back route to reach your troops.

It was cool how the Player gets control of the soldiers when Maximus reaches the cavalry and then the Player switches to control of Maximus during the battle so that Maximus can attack.

Map Design: 4
I would say the same thing as what I did for the Creativity section. The Designer had you be the Mongols so that Caesar's tent was a giant tentlike Mongolian wonder, but I think that a pavillion or even a hut or yurt would have been better.

Story/Instructions: 2
This was the weakest part. The instructions were good enough so that you can beat the mission, and the Story you can know from the movie. But still, the opening Story screen was basically a giant blank square.

The zip file comes with AI files. When you go to start the game, AOK:HD does not set the AI to those particular Personalities, but rather leaves it with Original AI or whatever you have from your last Standard Game.

If the "Angry Brother" AI that came with the Zip should be selected in the opening screen, then that is important to know in instructions or a Readme. Besides, there are two AI Players, so it should specify which Player should get those AIs.

One time starting off for some reason Maximus announced that he would go to his troops in the woods, and when I sent him straight there, he went through the enemy line and Quintus said that he shouldn't start the battle, "idiot." So what you need to do is send him southeast and then follow the path in the woods to your cavalry. The instructions or messages should have made that clearer.

Additional Comments:
I notice that sometimes the SW red ally cataphracts join the battle. It seems that you get control of Maximus as soon as your ballistas are killed. It seems that you must keep your ballistas behind your troops far enough.
On HARD, my forces including Maximus got killed when Maximus was making his cavalry attack after the Roman foot soldiers and ballistas had already been killed. On MODERATE and Standard, I got killed again. I beat it on EASIEST.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance4.5
Creativity4.0