Recent Updates

Single Player Scenarios » The Colosseum's Chaos

Download File Post Review Post Comment

The Colosseum's Chaos

Author File Description
The Quacker
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Remember the Colosseum? Well, of course not, you'd have to be about 1900 years old. But, with this scenario, I've tried to recreate the chaos and calamity of the Colosseum. >Text file included.
>Read Scenario Instructions
>Can also be played in multiplayer mode with up to 4 human players.
>Do not change any of the game settings when starting this scenario except for putting yourself at color blue, if player 1, color red, if player 2, etc...
>Do not use cheats, it will diminish game fun.

If you find any bugs or problems send me an email stating it clearly.

In Christ,

The Quacker
----------------------

Where would you go if you died today(Heaven or Hell)?
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Blaxx
Rating
Breakdown
Playability1.0
Balance3.0
Creativity1.0
Map Design1.0
Story/Instructions2.0
This scenario could have been good, had the author used a little bit of creativity.

In this scenario you start with no history and no hints, just the instructions: kill 1000 units to win. Right there you know something is gonna be wrong.

There are 8 players, and each player has a flag and a looping trigger that places units in the flag and tasks them away from it. Basically all you can do is watch a mindnumbingly boring bloodbath unfold as your woadraiders battle it out to the death in a square desert pit for 10 minutes.

After that it gets worse.

You get switched to a naval battle where it's basically the same thing except with galleons, and there is no task trigger so you have to move your units away from the flag one by one.

Take this one back, I don't think it's done yet.
rakovsky
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions3.0
Playability: 5
The was very playable - the main issue is that it could seem boring and monotonous, so the thing to do is to raise your speed to the highest level.

Balance: 5
There was good balance, as each team started with their own flag that spawned units continuously. The trick seemed to be to use your elephant to kill the enemies who were blocking your spawning area near the blue flag. And also to constantly move your ships to the center area to free up more space to spawn more blue ships for yourself.

Creativity: 4
This was pretty creative, with a constant battle of spawning units in both land, sea, and elephant warfare. The main weakness was that it was also kind of basic. The colosseum areas were basically two big boxes and there was little eye candy. They looked more like giant mosh pits rather than colosseums. You could have added stone walls or buildings or something.

Map Design: 4
The map design was good because it worked and was symmetrical, and the constant spawning was an unusual feature. But it could have used eye candy like I said around the edges of the fighting.

-------------------------

Story/Instructions: 3
This is the main downside, ie. that there was little story involved. Plus, the Scenario could especially have used Hints. I beat it on Hard using the tactic of keeping my ships freed up to constantly spawn more ships by moving them to the center of the naval battle area. IMO increasing the Speed is a Hint for the player to keep it from getting too boring.

The same issue exists when it comes to playing on Multiplayer, because in the part of the arena where the woad raiders spawned, those units immediately moved from their flags and new units spawned in their place. However, when the arena switched to the naval battle, the units did not immediately move from their starting location. It's not a big problem but it would be helpful if the Instructions/Hints explained this.

----------------------------

Additional Comments:
My main question or criticism is what is the relevance of the Comment at the end of the File Description asking where I would go if I died, ie. to Hell or not? You could say that 1900 years ago there were Christians who were forced to fight in Roman circuses (not just as food for lions but having the option to fight them). So there is a potential religious theme in Roman entertainment fights, but you didn't draw the connection as the Designer.

Your name is Quacker- I guess that this doesn't refer to the Quaker religious group, which is rather oriented toward religious tolerance and doctrinal mildness.

You ask: "Where would you go if you died today(Heaven or Hell)?" I guess some kind of mix of both, like a Karmic Afterlife. I believe that God is merciful, so He would not put me in Hell forever. But Heaven is a high exalted state, and I don't feel that I am such a holy saint. It is hard to know the answer to those kinds of questions absolutely.

Usually this kind of question is posed in a kind of presumptuous way, as if the Questioner posits as certain knowledge that if a person believes that Jesus resurrected and is God (eg. something along the lines of the Apostles Creed), then the person will categorically go to heaven definitely. But even in Christianity this issue is not so clear, because for instance a person could believe that the Apostles' Creed is true and still not actually care much about it. And then you have the phenomenon of the "Good Samaritan" who doesn't have the right religion but who does good.

For setting up a MULTIPLAYER game, it's worth remembering that the Scenario uses a total of 8 Players with 1 or more Human Players with the rest being AIs. The Scenario gives the Players all the same units so your Civs don't matter. As Player 1, I beat WhiteFox (a Player from Quebec) as Player 2 with 6 other AIs on Hard mode. The trick is to move your boats away from your flag to allow more of your boats to spawn at the flag. Then when you have enough boats you can put boats on the enemy flags so that they don't spawn.

[Edited on 01/14/21 @ 05:37 PM]

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance4.0