Aceallic
File Details
Version: Age of Kings 1.0
Style: Mix
Number of scenarios: 5
Roman Empire_The God That Failed

*My first campaign*

Description:
This 5 scenario Campaign tells the story of the rise of Roman Empire. You play as a Roman and you have to conquer villages, armyies, cities, countries and empires. Same all??? Well I wouldn't say that! Just see it and belive it.
Scenarios are fully detailed and realistic. There are ofcourse triggers in most of the scenarios. Also I have created the map of Roman Empire to go with the every scenario (every single one differs). The story line is not as huge as History, but its good enough hehe.

About Scenarios:

Scenario 1: YOU v Germanic villages
Scenario 2: YOU v Gothish Army (yes just like in Braveheart - 'I hope you washed your arse, it's about to be kissed by a king' HeHe)
Scenario 3: YOU v Macedonia
Scenario 4: YOU v Spain
Scenario 5: YOU v Syria

(The civs used are ofcourse the once provided so I couldn't use a civ i didn't have eg. Syria, So I used what I had available. Hope you wont get affended. Remember it's just a game.

If this campaign has a few bugs please let me know. I only tested it twice so I probablly missed alot.

I'll upload newer version if any bugs are spoted now.
I will later post the scenarios individualy for you all if it gets the recognition it deserves.

Enjoy it.

Please let me know what you think.

p.s. I think this is a mix campaign. :)

AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
laz123 Very enjoyable. Thanks.
Cataphract887
Official Reviewer
Rating
Breakdown
Playability2.0
Balance2.0
Creativity2.0
Map Design2.0
Story/Instructions2.0
"Roman Empire_The God That Failed" is a simpler campaign with some basic FF and 1V1 B&Ds.

Playability 2

The first scenario starts off slow, with the player tasked to destroy 3 primitive tribes using a swarm of skirmishers that appear all over the map, and a single onager. This takes awhile to accomplish as you must wait for the onager to arrive to actually kill TCs. Next up was a battle map where the passive AI awaited your attack, and the player was given a stronger army, including siege onagers. Even after you win this battle, you must track down the AIs last unit, an exploring light cavalry. This state of affairs kept up the entire campaign, resulting in a dull, slow paced playthrough.

Balance 2

There wasnt much of a challenge present even on hard, the player can generally take his force and just overpower the enemy to achieve objectives. In scenario three, for example, you get war elephants, cavaliers, onagers and trebs to destroy a small fortress guarded by maybe 30 normal camels. Scen4 has a B&D with one enemy who has a completely crippled base layout the AI cannot cope with.

Creativity 2

Every scenario brings its own concept but the way its presented is quite straightforward. There isnt much to shake things up in an unexpected way for the player.

Map Design 2

The maps are roughly on par with random maps.

Story\Objectives 2

There is the barest minimum of objectives and hints, with no story ingame, winning\losing messages, etc. There is a decent bitmap, though its used for all 6 missions with slight variation. There wasnt exactly much history presented, and some environments didnt make sense, like scenario1's germany has massive deserts

Final Thoughts: Its a somewhat below average campaign.
rakovsky I want to clear up the time periods and dates when the Scenarios in the Campaign occurred. The Campaign has 5 Scenarios:
1. "Holier than Thou" - The Story section deals with Byzantine conquest of Goths in 6th century. The enemy is the Lotharingians, a 9th century kingdom.

2. Mercyful Fate - The Story section describes the history of the Goths, from their myths about Scandinavian origins to the Huns' conquest of the Ostrogoths in the 4th Century. The instructions section seems to be describing events following the 1st Scenario. It generally focuses on the 3rd Century AD.

3. The Story section and Opponent is Philip V of Macedon, who ruled in 238–179 BC.

4. Deals with the Events of the 2nd Century BC in Spain, particularly the kingdom of Lusitania.

5. This fifth scenario deals with the Roman conquest of Syria. Pompey conquered it in 64 BC.

So the Scenarios in this Campaign are not really arranged chronologically. Chronologically, 3. the Conquest of Greece would come first, followed by 4. Spain, and then 5. Syria. Next would come the wars against the Goths and finally the Byzantine fight against the Goths in the 6th century. But the Instructions have Scenario 2's battle against the Goths being a follow-up to your Victory in Scenario 1. So this makes things not very clear chronologically between Scenarios 1 and 2, as the Instructions' sequence would seem to differ from the "Story" section sequence.

[Edited on 01/07/21 @ 10:58 PM]

rakovsky
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions3.0
I am reviewing this mainly based on Scenarios 1 and 5, which I beat on Hard and were the only Scenarios I played in the campaign.

Playability: 5
Scenario 1 had good Playability where you had to use your units as a fixed force to destroy the enemy bases before they got too strong. It went smoothly.

Scenario 5 worked well because it was a straightforward Build and Destroy and because it didn't require convoluted Setup steps and worked on The Conquerors.
A large majority of the Rome-themed Campaigns and scenarios that I downloaded require either DLCs like The Forgotten or else major modding or else there might be some glitch that stops those scenarios from working (or maybe I just haven't done the modding successfully on them).

Balance: 5
The balance was good because I could beat it on Hard and I'm an average to good Single Player player.

Scenario 5 was 1 on 1 like a standard battle except there was good creativity and map design in giving both sides an opening base.

Creativity: 5
The creativity was good in that it provided a neat map of the Roman empire in the opening instruction screens.

Scenario 1 was neat in that it gave me reinforcements. Scenario 5 was neat in that the Designer gave me an opening base.

Map Design: 5

In Scenario 1, I agree with another reviewer's criticism that Germany doesn't have deserts like this map depicted. The NW quarter of the map is a desert. I am guessing that the designer made it that way because he didn't bother to decorate it. That corner of the map is basically an area where no gameplay or fighting is involved. The enemies are just in the midline of the map running from the middle of the north to the south, as well as in the western corner of the map. In fact, in my own playthrough, I hardly went through that desert area at all and didn't see hardly any of it until the scenario ended. So it feels like a pretty minor criticism.

In Scenario 5, the map was pretty workable in that the paths weren't too narrow. If we were playing on AOE1, the maze of trees would have probably hurt the pathfinding a ton. But the trees in this case made it so that it was not a boring or super plain map, and the opening bases were cool.

Story/Instructions: 3
This is my main complaint: As I laid out in an earlier comment, the Scenarios are not arranged chronologically, nor is it clear that the stories match the basic overall concept of the campaign well. The basic concept seems to be that this is taking place to build up the Roman empire in its rise. In that case, the conquests of Greece and Syria and maybe Spain have the right stories, but they are not arranged chronologically. For instance, the earliest story would be Greece, since Philip V of Macedon lived in the early 2nd century BC.
Further, the Stories of the two opening scenarios about Germany seem to take place in the 6th century AD and 3rd century AD, respectively. The first scenario has a story about Theodoric and other Goths and their battles in the 6th century AD. Yet in its rising period, Rome began conquering Germany in the 1st Century BC to 1st Century AD or so.

Additional Comments:

I beat Scenario #1 "Holier than Thou" on Hard. The Designer writes in his description that the theme is the "the rise of Roman Empire" and its conquest of new territories. The conquest of southwest Germany, the land in this scenario, happened in the late 1st century BC - early 1st century AD. However, the Story section deals with Byzantine conquest of Goths in 6th century. The enemy Players include the Lotharingians, a 9th century kingdom. So there is confusion as to what period the Designer is intending to depict.

I beat Scenario #2 "Mercyful Fate" on HARD. On the map, you go into Germania Superior, and your opponent is "Bavaria Tribe." The Story section describes the history of the Goths, from their myths about Scandinavian origins to the Huns' conquest of the Ostrogoths in the 4th Century. The instructions section seems to be describing events following the 1st Scenario" (Late 1st c. BC - 6th c. AD), and the Story also generally focuses on the 3rd Century AD.
Wikipedia's article on Germania Superior talks about the Roman conquest: "By 12 BC, major bases existed at Xanten (Castra Vetera) and Mainz (Mogontiacum), from which Drusus operated."
Wikipedia's article on the Goths talks about their history in Germania in the 1st Century AD: "Around 15 AD, Strabo mentions the Butones, Lugii, Semnones and others as one of a large group of peoples who came under the domination of the Marcomannic king Maroboduus.[54] The "Butones" are generally equated with the Gutones.... In 77 AD, Pliny the Elder mentions the Gutones as one of the peoples of Germania. He writes that the Gutones, Burgundiones, Varini and Carini belong to the Vandili."

I beat Scenario #5 "Helpless" on Hard. It deals with the Roman conquest of Syria. Pompey conquered it in 64 BC. The Story talks about the "Syrian Empire". However, the Persians conquered Syria in ancient times and then the Greeks did, so that the Romans did not fight the "Syrian Empire". Rather, in 64 BC the Romans conquered Seleucid Hellenistic Syria, a region under ethnically Greek rule since the time of Alexander the Great.

[Edited on 01/30/21 @ 12:54 PM]

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.5
Balance3.5