Recent Updates

AI Files » Removing Food According To Population

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Removing Food According To Population

Author File Description
dark_blade
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
This AI (Including Immobile Units) allows for installation in order to make player one's food stockpile decrease proportionally to the population.

It includes a readme file, which easily explains how to use the AI, and an editable demo scenario for testing and playing.

Hope you find this useful,

Dark_Blade
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
four hundred babies
(id: Lord_Fadawah)
Rating
This is one of those AIs that can't really be improved upon. Removing Food According To Population is an invaluable aid to designers of B&D scenarios that deducts food per population. To do a similar "food eating" system in the past, designers would need to set masses of triggers detecting all possible populations, (5, 10, 15, etc.) By comparison, this AI is a breeze to use, as it is mostly automated and you can add it to a scenario with just a few triggers.

Hopefully this AI will provoke some more interested in the somewhat ostracised B&D genre. In even the best B&D scenarios, the most challenging part is normally the beginning, before the player has developed a strong economy. To quote Puzzleman: "Most B&D scenarios require the player to fend off an initial attack, become impregnable and then sally forth to conquer. The scenario is actually won in the first 15 minutes and then it takes two more hours to prove it (kinda like Monopoly)." This AI makes it all to easy for the player to lose without getting attacked at all, and I think will improve the lopsided balance of many B&D scenarios.

This AI is easily customizable. The author provides very good written documentation explaining how the script works and how to modify it to suit the designer's needs. It requires you to devote a player to the Population Counter AI, but the author thoughtfully included Zanzard Lothar's Immobile Units AI so it needn't be a dummy player. You can just rename the file, edit out the "Your people are eating food now" line, and the AI can be used just like a normal Immobile Units player.

Recommended for everyone who has the slightest interest in designing B&D scenarios.
GeodesicDragon I'm sure its a great AI file, but it won't load for me!

Every time I want to play the scenario, I get a message saying "This scenario is not valid" - so, I check it in the Editor. I only saw three players, yet in the single player menu, I see eight. Is that supposed to happen, or have I screwed up somewhere?

[Edited on 04/14/05 @ 04:20 PM]

dark_blade
File Author
In the readme file it says that you should play the demo map via map editor, not as a standard scenario. That's where your problem lies. ;)

D_B

[Edited on 04/15/05 @ 02:27 PM]

Free Scarler No, the bug is that the filename of the scenario is too long. It may not be longer than x characters where x is something in between 30 and 40, or else it only works in the editor.
Kharzad So, how do I load the .per file onto Notebook? It says Windows cannot find this file or something.

Basically it doesnt know how to open the .per and put it into readable text on Notepad.

The demo scenario is exactly how I want it to work, but i want the food to be taken away in bigger amounts.'

Thanks
Tanneur99
Official Reviewer
Right click the .Per file, click the option to open with and chose Microsoft Word.
crashbash2020 Could you update this AI to damage units when food stockpile reaches zero? thanks if you can
his6214 Thank you

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Statistics
Downloads:4,357
Favorites: [Who?]1