Download File Post Review Post Comment

Maxamis Gladiator

Author File Description
Lord Redwall
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Style: Mix
Number of scenarios: 4
This is for Gladiator nomation in the oscar's. Please enjoy it.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Andrew Dunn
(id: Mechstra)
Look people, I'm sorry to say that this campaign is one of the worst I've seen. I'd rate it 1.6. The playability in this campaign is awful. In the first scenario, all you do is walk around, go to see Caesar (He doesn't say anything), and then go to your tent. Also, in a later mission, you are meant to get a horse, but the 'Maxamis on Horse' unit doesn't change to your side. For this and other sudden death areas, Playability: 1.
The Balance isn't much better. In all but one of the scenarios you can waltz through without taking much damage at all, and 'Maxamis' has 8000+ attack. And in one scenario your lone swordsman is pitted against lots of Cataphracts. Balance: 1.
The format is totally unoriginal, once again using the 'don't let hero die' format. For Creativity: 1.
The map design is pretty unvaried, and the only tiles the author used were Grass 1, Dirt 1, Road, Road broken, and Forest. The last Colosseum maps were vaguely interesting, though, so the Map Design: 2.
The story was all taken from the film, obviously, but the game doesn't even try to flesh it out a bit. You aren't even given any storyline in the instructions! In one mission, all you get is: 'Follow my instrctions'. And yes, that's instrctions. Purely for having some form of instructions, Story/Instructions: 2

So, altogether a pretty poor campaign. Don't download.
Lord Redwall
File Author
Hey guy this was my first try at a campaign. I will soon release a different verson of it. I will fix some of the horrible parts to make the game much better. I, myself thought some of the scenarios were horrible, so please forgive me.
rakovsky
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design3.0
Story/Instructions2.0
Playability: 5
It was very playable because I could beat all 4 missions on hard with no glitches basically stopping me.

Balance: 4
The balance was overall good. The first one was kind of weak because it's presented as a battle but you don't really need to fight anything. The next two missions are basically fleeing missions, which is fun. The 2nd one was a bit of a challenge in avoiding the enemies. In a way, it was too easy, with the 1st and 3rd scenarios not really being any challenge. The last one is a battle where you are losing unless you realize how to get the armor, so that was a mental challenge.

Creativity: 4
Generally it was creative, like making a battle map in the first mission. In SCENARIO #4, the idea of going to the flags and carts while your health is failing to get armor to simulate the dying part in the movie was neat in terms of creativity.

But some of the creativity was off. For instance, why in the 1st mission does your tent area have a pyramid and why is your tent a giant viking building? It felt like the Designer was trying to be creative and having fun, but in a way so reckless that it didn't really make sense. This kind of issue showed up again in the 3rd mission, where Stormy black dogs are flying over your character at the start. I guess that it's meant as humor. I did find it entertaining.

Also, the road and arena in the 2nd and 4th scenarios were kind of plain. It was basically a very long wide road stretching from east to west in the 2nd mission, and there was basically no arena at all in the 4th mission, just you, your opponent, some carts and flags, and a square of red soldiers surrounding these units and objects. There was no wall that I saw.

Map Design: 3
In SCENARIO #2, the directions say to bring Maxamis to the flag to the southwest. The Designer even put in an arrow in the far east of the map to show the cardinal directions. Yet you can only bring Maxamis to the flag to the southeast, at which point he dies and a copy of him shows up at a previously hidden flag to the southwest that you couldn't get to.

Also in Scenario #2, if you go to the flag on the left side of the map with the red cavalry after going to the aqua bandits' flag, you get a message saying that you need to go back to get more troops, and your Objectives menu says to go to the Merchants' city. But in the yellow merchants' city if you go to the flag, nothing happens except that the Objective for it gets struck out. It seems like a design flaw because it seems like the instructions intend for you to go to the Merchants' city to get troops. This is because when you get near the red cavalry, they attack you. I was able to avoid them by riding back toward the yellow merchant city until I lost their "tail" on me, and then turning around and riding along the road through the red cavalry's area. Still, the sense from the directions that I got was that I should get troops in the yellow merchant city as protection.

The other criticisms that I have for Map Design are what I put in the Creativity section, like why is your tent a giant viking house next to a pyramid in Scenario 1? Why are there dogs flying over your head in Scenario 3? I guess that the author was trying to be humorous.

Story/Instructions: 2
There are no Story sections. This is not so awful because you know the story from the Gladiator, so you have an idea of what the designer is thinking of in the scenarios. But still, an opening Story would have been good.

You get instructions in the Objectives menu in-game.

SCENARIO #3 starts with black Stormy dogs flying over the opening area. There was no background story given for this scenario. You are supposed to get to a Yellow flag in an arena before a yellow soldier who begins the mission by fighting you does. On HARD, I just walked away from him and he didn't follow me and I went to the flag. There was a challenge because my other units were fighting in the arena, but anyway the opening with the dogs and why the guy was fighting me left a ton to be explained, like was it a bad dream or something. A Story would have helped that.

In SCENARIO #4, the Hints section could have explained a bit how the armor/cart trigger worked though. I say this because The first time that I played it, I didn't realize that I had picked up armor, so I clicked on Restart.

Additional Comments:
It was hard to tell where the border between the author's humour and unintentional mistakes lied. The use of the black flying Stormy dogs seemed to be a form of humour, although I guess it could have been a map glitch on my end since I was playing on the Steam version of AOK HD THE FORGOTTEN. But the Designer also put a "Hagia Sophia" mosque, a pyramid, and a giant viking building in my tent area in Scenario #1. Plus, the instructions for Scenario #4 say that Commodius stabbed you, and then says: "Great you are have dead are Commadius is making you feel better." Here the Designer was using sarcasm, but he also used a spelling mistake by writing "have dead are" instead of "half dead and". Then in that Scenario's Hints section, he writes: "by the way you lose five hit points every ten seconds do don't dilly dally." By announcing this important fact by starting the sentence using the lowercase "by the way", he both uses wry humor and includes a grammar mistake.

I guess then that the Stormy dogs were not a glitch in my own Steam HD version of the game, but rather were part of the Designer's style of humor.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity4.0