Download File Post Review Post Comment

Gladiator Campaign

Author File Description
DJP0829
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Number of scenarios: 6
No Description Available
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Andrew Dunn
(id: Mechstra)
KRRRRR This is Sergeant Mechstra. Sorry sir, the description's got away. We couldn't find it. Over.
DJP0829
File Author
Thats cuz I forgot to put one in. I'll do it here:
This campaign is about the movie Gladiator. Six scenarios. If you've seen the movie, you'll know wat's going on. If you haven't, it kind of spoils the movie.
cadman What can I say....PATHETIC, PATHETIC, PATHETIC. I saw the movie, and there is a whole lot that could be done with this. A 2 year old could have done better. Except for the names, I saw no relation to the movie. I finished the entire campaign in less than 3 minutes without even a sweat. Take it back to the drawing board and do it again. Please!!!!
The Conquistador
Rating
Breakdown
Playability1.0
Balance1.0
Creativity2.0
Map Design1.0
Story/Instructions1.0
This campaign has gotta be one of the worst campaign I have played in a long time. Everything was just brutal...

The playability was extremely poor, as most of the time you just walk. When you are not walking, you are fighting a battle that you can win with your eyes shut and your hands tied to the back of your head. For example, you have champions with about 30,000 HP while the enemy has about
a dozen skirmishers.

As mentioned above, the opposition is far too weak compared to you. So, the balance is also extremely poor.

The creativity was slightly better than the playability and the balance, since the whole concept is pretty new (having a 6 scenario long cutscene I mean). Unfortunately, it lacked creativity in everything else.

The map design was very bad. There are about 4 terrain types uses throughout the whole campaign: forest, desert, dirt 3 and grass 1. Usually you see large blank areas of grass or desert, which is very visually unappealing.

There was no story nor any effective instructions... if you hadn't seen the movie before, you would have no idea what's going on. Also, the instructions are usually a dialouge telling you to "walk" (but where is the real question...) somewhere... which is really bad.

+ Points

- None

- Extremely Poor map design
- Everything else

Final Thoughts: I think that this campaign is very poor representation of the movie "Gladiator" and deserves no appraisal. Once again, my statement of "all campaigns with fancy titles are bad." is proven. But I will give my speech once again: scenario designing is 10% talent, 20% skill and 70% effort. With effort and skill and no talent, you can still do a very good job.
rakovsky
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance3.0
Creativity3.0
Map Design3.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 3
You have to use two different mods for the campaign, depending on the scenario, which makes it harder to install. I used Genie Converter, but probably a lot of players won't understand how to install the Mods.

In Scenario 3, one annoying part is that it's a giant open map and you have to kill any javelin stragglers who are walking around. One javelin straggler went through the SE gate and was headed for the outer ring outside the wall that went around the whole map. If you use the Mod that turns them into chariots, the same thing happens with the occasional out of sight straggler.

The first time that I played Scenario 3, I had Maximus walk NW from the entrance area before going into the ring, and his HP stayed at 60, which made him a super easy target for the enemy champion with like 2000+ HP. I guessed that I needed to have him basically wait where he started for a while in order for his HP to go up.

In Scenario 4, as in the last mission, the same problem happens where the enemy can walk around the giant map, except this time you have only 1 guy to find his 1 guy with. The last time that I played, I wondered around the map for 10 minutes looking for the enemy until he finally resigned after no combat, giving me a victory. It turns out that he was in the upper left corner. A previous time playing I beat him in combat on HARD.

Balance: 3
I beat every scenario on HARD easily. The balance is so much in your favor that it's like playing a Cinematic virtually. This is OK in my opinion because you can still beat the missions, but it's still a disadvantage.

The worst is in other campaigns, when the balance is against you so much that you practically can't progress.

Creativity: 3
There was not really major creativity. Generally the map decorations were rather plain. In a way, just making 6 scenarios that work with triggers and units is creativity, but it was still one of the more simple campaigns.

Map Design: 3
In Scenario 1, The trigger that puts Maximus on the horse involves the infantry version of the unit dying.
In Scenario 2, the same trigger "death" flaw happens when Maximus gets off his horse. Then when you follow the red villagers Northward, suddenly those three red villagers die for no reason.

In Scenario 5 "Final Fight", Maximus begins with 260 HP and it's draining, whereas the enemy Commodus has 3000+ HP. However, each strike on Commonus takes out like 100 of his HP and for some reason he does not attack you back ever. It would have been better to give him a weak attack and give you much more HP than him and lower his HP, so that you could still win but that he could also still attack back.

Story/Instructions: 4
The Instructions say:
"Use the Legion3.akx file for all of the scenarios, except the 2nd. Use the eskirm-to-CHariot.akx for the 3rd scenario." This is not very clear. Does that mean use both scenarios or just the eskirmishers one? It sounds like it means using both mods for the 3rd scenario. And in fact that's the case- you need legions and the enemy needs chariots, so you need both mods.

Otherwise it was straightforward how to play. There was not enough story IMO but you can also know it from watching the movie.

Additional Comments:
I would give Balance, Creativity, and Story/Instructions a 3.5, but I had to pick between 3 and 4 for the rating.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability2.0
Balance2.0
Creativity2.5