Download File Post Review Post Comment

Remake of the battle from the moovie "Gladiator"

Author File Description
bitanga
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Style: Fixed Force
No Description Available
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Joe Smith
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance2.0
Creativity3.0
Map Design3.0
Story/Instructions1.0
Well I live under a rock and hasn't seen the gladiator movie. So I can't judge if it's close to the movie or not, but first off, this wasn't even a campaign. It was a .scx not a .cpx file. Anyways...

It started off with 160 some units from seige ongars and cavalry. Then you just kinda watch your units kill off all the red. Not much I could do with all the lag on my computer so I just watched until all the red were dead. When it ended I still had 155 guys so it wasn't balanced too well.

It was pretty average creative wise, I just wish I saw the movie and it would have made more sense.

The Map Design was average and supported the most part of the scenario.

There wasn't any story or instructions so no grade here.

It was okay for a scenario based on a movie scene, but there was too many units for my computer to handle so it lagged a little at the start. A little instruction would have been nice and a background for the situation would have been cool. Not bad.
rakovsky
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design3.0
Story/Instructions3.0
Playability: 5
It was very playable. The scenario ran fine and the objective of defeating the enemy was obvious.

Balance: 4
I liked the balance because I like easy scenarios. Plus, the Romans won in the movie. But it was a bit too easy, since Maximus didn't have to go into battle to win, and nor did the cavalry behind him, unlike in the movie.

Creativity: 4
The creativity was good in that the designer basically remapped the movie battle scene's layout with a forest clearing, archers, etc. But it was also a bit too simple, because there could have been triggers and hills. The movie had hills.

Map Design: 3
This was good in that, as I said, the designer put the forest and clearing etc. like in the movie. But there was also a weak spot. The designer apparently did not rename the Players to match anything historic or matching the movie. The enemy players had just the random AOE2 default names like "Olaf". Also, there was a Player 3 who resigned as soon as the game opened, and he did not play any obvious role in the map as to why he would be there.

Story/Instructions: 3
The Story was obvious from the movie and the objective was obvious too.
Still, the Designer should have included a Story or instructions, whereas these are basically blank.

Additional Comments:
A reviewer said that they wished that they saw the movie. The Opening battle scene that this scenario is based on can be found on Youtube, and it's only about 12 minutes:

Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXiSp9aJYN4
Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GcHaAVj1PI
rakovsky I easily beat it on Hard.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?