Recent Updates

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Fort Masada

Author File Description
Omega Centarui
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Style: Build and Destroy
A historical scenario about The Roman Siege of the Jewish held Fort Masada.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
laz123 Nice game. Thanks.
Cataphract887
Official Reviewer
Rating
Breakdown
Playability2.0
Balance2.0
Creativity2.0
Map Design1.0
Story/Instructions2.0
"Fort Masada" is a fortress assault map

Playability 2

Its a build and destroy fort attack, its very simplistic and the defenders are locked in so you can begin the fight when you want. You will have to boom up first.

Balance 2

The game looks tough at first, with the defenders having post imperial age forces while you start in feudal age. But because they are purely passive you can build up in peace, construct multiple forward castles, and only then attack. Its a cake walk.

Creativity 2

There is very little gameplay elements added together here, beyond what is sufficient to differentiate itself from a random map.

Map Design 1

There are vast stretches of dirt1 terrain with cliffs being used to divide gameplay areas. It easily fits the definition of a blank map.

Story\Objectives 2

The opening messages and victory messages are as expected from a decent scenario. There are no hints or scouts reports, but atleast there are some objectives and ingame dialogue.

Final thoughts: Not much to see here.
rakovsky
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Playability: 4
The Playability was good overall because it worked, but there were occasional glitches or lack of clarity from the directions that I figured out by using the Editor.

One time soon after I started on Hard and right after saving the mission, the Roman city announced that it would be a hard mission and gave me about a total of 900 Food in 100 increments one after the other to "thrash our enemies". Of course, it was nice, but I don't know why that happened. It didn't show up in the triggers in the Editor. I guess that it was a glitch. Maybe it was because I had just gotten defeated the last time that I played. I don't really know.

There was also a weird glitch once where the names of the AI players switch to "Henry V." Maybe it's because because 10 minutes in, the Henry V player (Green base in the south, the Roman City) automatically surrendered for some reason on that particular play attempt, which could also have been a glitch. In other words, my Green Saraacen ally in the south surrendered, although I didn't attack it... However, this didn't reoccur if I got the Roman City's food with Silva first and sent some soldiers to defend that base until the Yellow enemy was destroyed.

I also got a weird glitch once where I got no Trebuchet when my 8 carts transformed into siege equipment. I guess that it was because I didn't give the carts enough room to transform, so after that glitch happened, on my replays I sent the carts to my base without units standing in the area where my carts would transform.

Balance: 5
The balance was very good because it was effectively a race against time to see whether you could boom your forces to be strong enough in time.

Creativity: 5
This was very Creative, using triggers like having you go to or conquer cities or camps to get tribute or siege weapons. The race against time idea was pretty good too.

A constructive criticism is that it would be better to have the Roman Human Player as the Byzantines or Italians or even Spanish instead of the Britons because it's best to have the Romans closest to a Roman Civ. Or the Designer could have used one of the Roman Mods.

Map Design: 4
(Insert Map Design analysis here)

Story/Instructions: 4
The story was pretty good, like showing a BMP photo of the actual Masada, as well as giving story descriptions for the events as well as Victory and Loss stories. However, it would have been better if there were hints. A bit was not clear enough in the instructions though. For instance, when it says that you get tribute by conquering the Zealot camp/city, it wasn't clear enough what that referred to. I imagined that it referred to Masada itself. So I interpreted those instructions about getting tribute from the conquest as if they meant that you should conquer Masada so that the Zealots would give you tribute. The Hints section for instance could have clarified that this tribute was referring to the Purple base in the east.

The purple enemy won't bother you in the east, but that is the Zealot camp and conquering them gives you tribute. Basically, you need to kill one to three of their camels to trigger this. The Hint section could have mentioned this, because otherwise you could be directing your forces to build up a strong force to attack the east base when it fact it's best to attack that east base with your foot soldiers pretty soon after starting your mission, while you send your horse soldiers to the Roman city to get their tribute.

Another thing not clear enough in the instructions was whether you needed to bring Silva to the northern Roman camp. In fact, according to the Editor, you didn't need to bring Silva there, but you did need to have your troops get a specific Allied Tarkan unit at the camp in your units' sight in order for your carts to turn into weapons. This should have been mentioned in the instructions, because otherwise you can get your carts to the fort like I did once without them transforming and not realize why. To clarify, when your units see the allied Tarkan on the south edge of the northern Roman camp, you get a message saying that your siege weapons/carts/supplies are at the northern Roman camp. Once you have spotted that Tarkan and then bring your carts into the base, only then do you get a message saying that we have siege weapons.

Additional Comments:

The only entrance to your opening fort is on the right/east side, as the left entrance is bordered by cliffs.

In the opening of the mission, I took out the little wall between my TC and the berries to gather them quicker. Building watch towers near the entrance to Masada gets the towers destroyed by Masada. I found the Roman Camp in the Northwest. It's best to clear a safe way with your soldiers between your base and the Roman camp in the north. You have to go out your east entrance and then south and then west along the long cliff line south of your opening base. At the light blue camp's market in the north I get about 8 free trade carts, which turn into siege weapons when I bring them to my base. There are some sheep on the Roman camp's SW edge. Take them with accompaniment to your base or they could get lost. It's a good idea to start making a logging camp early. There is a tree patch across the cliff south of the opening base that is good for that. The Roman City is the Green Player in the Southwest. You can send Silva there early with some Tarkans to protect him.

I defeated the Yellow desert bandits by clearing the paths between my base and the Roman camp and city.

Don't knock down the enemy gate with your siege weapon (eg trebuchet) until you are ready for enemies in it to come out and attack. I did find it helpful to use my trebuchets to attack the towers and buildings in the fort before I used the trebuchets to knock open the palisade and the first gate, which opens the way for enemies to attack my base. To be prepared for the enemy attack when you open their gates, have sentry towers and two castles near your tents or barracks.

Mine the gold in the northern Roman camp and on the northern edge of the map. You need alot of villagers to Age up fast and get tons of gold and other supplies. Like maybe 50-80 villagers almost ASAP. Since the Population limit is 200, build houses. There is a stone pit on the NW of the Masada base, a gold mine in the north of the inner area surrounded by cliffs like the stone pit, and a gold mine to the SE of the Roman camp. There is a bit of shore fish to catch near the marshy crossing, so that's an OK spot for a second mill besides the first one that it seems best to put near your starting area when your berries quickly run out. There's much fish in the southern sea.

I got slaughtered on HARD- my time ran out and when I tried to attack with a month left, a ton of guys came out and slaughtered my forces. On MODERATE, I got slaughtered again. The problem IMO was that I didn't make enough villagers. I probably needed like 50 because I ran out of gold especially trying to make so many upgrades.

Finally I beat it on the STANDARD Difficulty when I tried Booming as fast as I could, such as churning out maybe 20 villagers before even researching the "cart" technology at my home base that speeds up villagers, and only spending time researching the age-ups once I had a lot of villagers working. Otherwise I would be aging up for a while without much villager work, like cutting trees, happening. I also sent my horse troops immediately along the SW route to get the food tribute from the Roman city while I simultaneously had my foot troops attack the eastern enemy city.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance3.5
Creativity3.5