Single Player Scenarios » GMC-Battle of Teuburg Forest

Download File Post Review Post Comment

GMC-Battle of Teuburg Forest

Author File Description
Nog64
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Style: Fixed Force
This was my entry for the Green Map Contest. It depicts the Battle of Teutoburg FOrest, 9 A.D. which was between the Romans and native Germanic Tribes. more info @
http://www.freewebs.com/nog64
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Hyppynen Yeah, kind of buggy what with the resigning and all...
hakkis_jr Nice

[Edited on 05/12/17 @ 03:29 PM]

Heldarion um...there was no army coming at all...so I went forth and trushed it :)
sixtyninejoel i made a better one where you lose it is very hard it should come out in the new maps.
rakovsky
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 5
It was very Playable, with no glitches stopping the game from being won.

Balance: 4
The balance was good because I as an average or good player of Single Player Scenarios could beat it even without saving. In a way it was too easy, but it might not be possible to fix this.

The basic issue for balance is that the enemy has a goal of reaching a fort. And in the opening minutes, it looks like the enemy does explore the map or else move toward the fort. Then, your forces attack it along its route, and this in effect distracts the enemy so that it seems to stop traveling the map very directly and instead tries to follow your forces when your forces retreat. This is what the Designer intended. The downside is that it seems that even when my forces stop attacking for like a minute or more after some attacking, then the enemy seems to have gotten so distracted that it doesn't continue very strongly on its way to the fort. In other words, ideally the enemy would gather its forces together after my attacks and keep marching to the main fort for the enemy to win. But instead, it seems kind of stuck. I guess that eventually it would muster its forces and continue marching the right way, but that could take much more than the 30 minutes required.

So the Balance is OK, because the Designer intended you to be able to distract the enemy from its march. But it seems to me that ideally the enemy would be able to muster its forces together sooner to continue marching.

Creativity: 5
This was a creative idea of attacking the enemy from the sides of the main road, like an ambush.

Map Design: 5
This had good design because it was a woods map and had some eye candy and the paths were like a maze but not too hard to follow. Plus, the paths were wide enough for horse troops.

Story/Instructions: 5
The story was good, giving the background story about the historical battle.

Additional Comments:
The Description says "more info @ http://www.freewebs.com/nog64" But as of Sept 2020, that site is down.

As far as Hints for Players who read these Comments, I would note that part of your forces are at a dead end in the bottom right, and there is no point in going down south there for exploring.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0