Download File Post Review Post Comment

Gladiator

Author File Description
ElfTheHunter
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Style: Role Playing Strategy
Number of scenarios: 3
It\'s my first campaign that i\'m putting online, and it\'s just for fun. Hope you enjoy, will work on something better for next time.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Gawain
Rating
Breakdown
Playability2.0
Balance2.0
Creativity1.0
Map Design1.0
Story/Instructions1.0
"Gladiator" is a campaign based on the movie Gladiator. Fun, but definitely lacking in story and instructions.

Playability: This campaign was easy to play, and for the most part, fun. However, there were two bugs in the second scenario that hurt the score. The first is that you are promised upgrades for kills, but you receive none in the game. The second bug was worse; your men become trapped in one of the arenas, and you must either cheat to get out, or avoid this arena when you restart. The third scenario was pretty fun and I enjoyed killing the constantly respawning enemies.

Balance: The first scenario in this 3 part campaign was the only scenario that required any skill. It was a little overwhelming in the first few minutes, and you really have to manage your forces wisely in order to survive. The second scenario was way too easy and required no skill whatsoever. The third scenario was easy, as your men constantly respawn. While the enemy also respawns, it is an easy task to defeat him.

Creativity: This campaign wasn't at all creative in any particular aspect, but the whole idea was cool. While the campaign could have been much more, the author didn't put any neat tricks in to make things more interesting.

Map Design: This was one of the low parts in this campaign. The scenarios are all lacking in anything pleasing to the eye. Stark arenas are the only things you get to see. Add some candy, improve the score.

Story/Instructions: This was the other really low point in the campaign. There is no story whatsoever, and the instrutions are lame. Only if you had seen the movie would you know what was going on. Each scenario in this campaign had only one objective, and they were pretty easy to follow. In the third scenario, however, it wasn't clear how to win. It was apparent that you had to kill a lot of bad guys, but how many or in what period of time was unlcear.

Highs:
+ Based on Gladiator
+ Had a blood scenario in it

Lows:
- No story
- Bad instructions
- Map design
- Two annoying bugs
rakovsky
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions3.0
Playability: 4
Overall it was good because I could beat it reasonably well without it being too Hard.

In Scenario 2, my units got stuck in the boar pen on the right hand side, ie the second animal pen as you go upwards. It's a glitch. The gate doesn't let you back out.

Also in Scenario 2, each unit must enter together with the others or else the gate locks them out. On HARD, when I got near the last gate, the enemies came toward me and I retreated toward where the priests were, so they healed me during the battle. For some reason I also did not have to kill all those enemies, but rather got a victory after a particular one died. Maybe it's an enemy hero unit and the designer didn't explain about that in the instructions.

Balance: 4
Overall the Balance was good because I could beat it reasonably well without it being too Hard, when I figured out what to do.

Creativity: 5
The Creativity was pretty good because it had different scenes and buildings, such as the arenas, in each scenario.

Map Design: 4
Overall it was good because it had different scenes and buildings and typically the triggers worked. It was overall simple in the maps' decorations.

On Scenario 1, it has the Celts as the enemy, whereas historically and in the movie, they would have been the Teutons. In the movie, there were a lot more Romans and enemies that in this first scenario. There were not nearly as many here in the scenario, like 30-60 on the Roman side. Also, in the movie there was no Trebuchet.

Story/Instructions: 3
In Scenario 2, instructions are not detailed enough. It says that there are five gladiator stadiums and the first one gives you "researches". After defeated the first one on my left, I got no announcement about research, nor did I get any when I attacked the second one on my left. Plus, there are stadiums with animals. It isn't clear if there is any benefit to fighting them.

In Scenario 3, the center area keeps spawning enemy Huskarls and archers, and the center and SW corner spawns Woad raiders and eagle scouts and javelin throwers for me, so long as I move them out of the way. The instructions don't explain it, but the champion unit in the north of the ring is the emperor. That would be less confusing if the map weren't constantly spawning enemies. The problem is that with no explanation or Hint about going after that northern champion, you are just milling around the arena killing constantly spawning enemies that on average present a stronger force than yours, which means that eventually you will lose.

Additional Comments:
Overall it was a good campaign.

A general comment that I have about AOE2, which relates to Scenario 1 is that one challenge that I always had was using catapults in battles against troops. They are very strong but are imprecise enough that they can easily hurt your own troops. So if one enemy is near 10 of your troops, the catapult automatically attacks all.

SCENARIO COMMENTS:
Scenario 1. "What you do in this life echoes in Eternity." (I beat it on HARD)

Scenario 2. A hero will rise (I beat it on HARD)
After the first two stadiums, there is a pen with priests who heal you, so send any near-dead units there before entering a ring. You can throw axes over the gates.

Scenario 3.(I beat it on Standard) A slave more powerful than the emperor of Rome!
On HARD and MODERATE, Maximus got killed. One problem is that the enemy units are stronger. Huskarls are stronger than Woad Raiders. I won on Standard by sending my units all the way north to attack the enemy Champion.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance3.0
Creativity3.0