New Releases
New Reviews
New Comments
Top-Rated

Submit File
Browse Categories
New Files
Recent Updates

Utilities » RMS Toolkit (Random Map Scripting Toolkit)

Download File Post Review Post Comment

RMS Toolkit (Random Map Scripting Toolkit)

Author File Description
chasqui
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c

Updated to version 2.0!! Freshly revised New RMS Guide help file; now includes tons of images!! The definitive reference guide for any serious random map scripter!

RMS Toolkit is an add-on for the free text editor program PSPad Editor. You will want to get this download if you would like to become a random map script expert (or if you already are). If you don't want to dive into the scripting language or you don't feel ready for it yet, you might want to try RMS Creator instead.

With RMS Toolkit, you get:

• Syntax highlighting, which increases script readability and helps you quickly spot any typos

• Context sensitive help (using the "New RMS Guide" help file, extensively hyperlinked)

• Interactive clips which automatically generate script code for you

• Several random map script templates that you can use to get started

• Tool to remove extra whitespace from a map script and format the code for you

• Advanced text editing features:

• enhanced search & replace capabilities

• auto-completion (similar to AutoText in MS Word)

• text diff (compare two map scripts side-by-side with any differences highlighted)

• and more...

IMPORTANT! RMS Toolkit setup steps:
  1. Download and install PSPad Editor (4.5.1 or above).

2. Download and install Microsoft Windows Script (5.6 or above).

3. Download and install RMS Toolkit.

For step-by-step instructions on how to do this, read the install.txt file that is included in the RMS Toolkit zip file. Uninstallation is easy and the steps to uninstall are also explained.

Credit goes to Bultro for his excellent work on the original New RMS Guide. Also, thanks go to DiGiT for info from the comprehensive constant numbers list.

Screenshots

AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
chasqui
File Author
Windows Script version 5.7 is now available. Download it from the Microsoft web site here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results.aspx?freetext=Windows%20Script%205.7&DisplayLang=en

[Edited on 08/18/07 @ 09:52 AM]

Zetnus I'm quite impressed, I think I will us this for any future scripts!

I wrote my first random map scripts in notepad and then I moved up to notepad++ but this is in league of its own :)
It should be a lot faster and will definitely reduce the chance of typos in the commands. I would recommend it, although it can take a while to find your way around the PSPAD editor, because it comes with so many options that aren't relevant to the RMS Toolkit.
Zetnus I don't know if you're still active, but I wanted to ask if it's ok for me to publish a small update that adds auto-generation of some AoF-related scripting stuff (like LudiKRIS resources by map size)?
Zetnus
Rating
Breakdown
Usefulness/Novelty5.0
Quality/Instructions5.0
Usefulness/Novelty: 5

RMS Toolkit is the most comprehensive random map scripting tool currently available. It surpasses all the other RMS editors and generators in that it has almost every feature you need to enhance your scripting experience. Here are just a few of the features that particularly stand out:

>Syntax highlighting makes typos in your script a thing of the past, and generally makes your script structure easier to visualize.
>Automatic code generation saves you lots of typing, and once again makes spelling mistakes a lot less likely.
>If you ever forget what a certain command does, context-sensitive help lets you immediately pull up the relevant entry in the new RMS Guide.

Quality/Instructions: 5

Quality - There are no major bugs, and the whole toolkit is well designed and flexible to support your individual needs.
Instructions - Installation and initial use are a bit complicated. However, Step by step installation instructions are provided. Once installed, there is a readme in the installation directory which I highly recommend reading before starting to use the toolkit. Also, there are template scripts to teach you the basics and more advanced skills of RM scripting.

Conclusion:
Using RMS Toolkit will greatly enhance your RM scripting experience. Going through the installation process and learning how to use the different features is well worth the time spent.
A must have for any RM scripter!
John the Late Zetnus: "I wrote my first random map scripts in notepad and then I moved up to notepad++ but this is in league of its own :) "

Same here, I still write them in Notepad++. :D

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Usefulness/Novelty5.0
Quality/Instructions5.0