Single Player Scenarios » John Mendl 1. Life in the Alps

Download File Post Review Post Comment

John Mendl 1. Life in the Alps

Author File Description
John Mendl
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Style: Build and Destroy
This is the first scenario of the campaign John Mendl. The Holy Roman Empire is being ruled by a cruel Emperor, Frederick III. He has been torturing and killing many people for the slightest oppositon they made against him. John Mendl, a 24 year old man had been watching all these and decided to put an end to the rule of Frederick III. Frederick III is very powerful and ruthless. John Mendl needs a large army to defeat him. After addressing many people of his hometown Heilbronn inspiring them to fight against Frederick III, John has escaped to the Alp mountains and is working to develop a large force against Frederick III. But there in the Alps, John has made alliance with some tribes and is fighting the Swiss who often raid those tribes. John is preparing a large army to descend down the Alps so that he can get nearer to his aim of defeating Frederick III.

There are AI and PER files made by me along with this Campaign file. Extract them
CPX file ------- Campaign folder
AI & PER ------- AI folder

This scenario is a rather different sort of B&D with feudal age warfare.

Please write your view about this Campaign. Many more scenarios of John Mendl Campaign are to come later. I thank those who download this Campaign.
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Emperor Alexander
(id: Alex Coles)
It's evident this is a random map with limited changes. But for the sake of "realism", the Swiss eastern border is around Lake Constance (Konstanz) at the western side of the Tirol region. Also, german names would be Friedrich III and Johann, rather than John (Johan is swedish, by the way).

Maybe you should look for some map guides, like I did. It definately improves your map design.
Jatayu
(id: Sword_of_STORM)
Official Reviewer
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance3.0
Creativity3.0
Map Design3.0
Story/Instructions4.0
"A Flush" would be the best way to describe this game. You are in the feudal age and are up against a feudal age enemy and have some feudal age allies.

Playability: 3
The playability only differed from a random map game in the beginning, and towards the end. The starting fight was very easy, then it was a B&D against an enemy who hardly ever attacked, the objective being to destroy 4 towers. Then a final "bring your unit to victory". I didn't enjoy it much, especially because it was absurdly easy (see balance). The game didn't last too long, only about half an hour.

Balance: 3
I played the scenario on hard, and beat it without any reloads. You begin rightaway with a small fight, which is almost impossible to loose. Then I built up quickly and trained an army waiting for an attack to come. Well, an attack did come, but very late, and defeated them easily, they never attacked again. Then expecting large defences near the towers, I built up a large army of 20 menatarms and 30 skirms. The expected defence not being there, my army simply rolled over the enemy town, now and then targeting the odd spearman or archer with my 30 skirms. There was barely any challenge at all. The AI had no idea how to flush, or counter a flush, just kept throwing an odd mixture of archers, spearmen, scouts and skirmishers one at a time which were eaten up by my large army of skirmishers. It is even easier considering you have a couple of allies.

Last update: It's more difficult than the first time, in the sense that the enemies have now 10-15 troops when I attack them than 3-4 previously, however they are still no challenge for my army of ~50. I changed score by 1 point though.

Creativity: 3-
I was disappointed in this area. Although it does have a story and some 'dialogue', the gameplay is really not interesting - just feudal wars. The two handed swordsman John Mendl wasn't even renamed. Probably the biggest creativity factors are the starting position and the victory conditions. The farther a player gets from a random-style scenario, the better the creativity score.

Map Design: 3
Although the map is not a random map, it is nevertheless only of random map quality. The map was mainly snow, with some ice and snow dirt. The only forest was snow pine trees. Putting more eyecandy and gaia objects and using terrain mixing would make it better.

Story/Instructions: 4
The instructions were quite adequate, and there was also some history and a hints section (though it wasn't really needed). The game did have a story so I give it a 4 here.

Additional Comments:
I'm sorry if this seems like a harsh review, but there was little to this game than easy feudal wars. All the same I would recommend it for newbie players who don't build an army till the castle age :)
It seems that the AI's you created for this game are frankly, just not that good enough. AI's are no match against human player, unless it's a very good AI - and not really even then. That's why it is a better idea to create troops using triggers or give the computer some other advantages, to make up for the player's skill.

[Edited on 09/07/07 @ 08:51 AM]

John Mendl
File Author
What do you mean, Alex Coles?
This map was completely made by me. This is not at all derived from any Random Map. I started with a BLANK MAP with everything did on my own.

This is not historical. Understand that this is all fiction made by me. There are some similarities to historical map and characters but both map and characters are made by me according to my interest. So I donot want to make everything historically accurate. In real history what you said may be correct but my campaign has my own history.

[Edited on 08/17/07 @ 06:45 AM]

Emperor Alexander
What do you mean, Alex Coles?
This map was completely made by me. This is not at all derived from any Random Map. I started with a BLANK MAP with everything did on my own.

This is NOT historical. Understand that this is all fiction made by me. There are some similarities to historical map and characters but both map and characters are made by me according to my interest. So I dont want to make anything historically accurate.

Fair enough, but it looks random and if I reviewed it I think it would warrant a 3.

Ok, sure but if you're making your own map next time be sure to take a look at other peoples' maps and take ideas from that.
Lord Aro Alex Coles,

If it looks like a random map but isn't I would say it is very good

John Mendl,

Looks good will download as soon as possible.

Lord Aro
Artifex Not bad, a nice smash. But I agree, the map looks like a random map. Yes, looks. You made it yourself, that's good, but it doesn't look very different than a normal random map. That is the point.

Keep up the good stuff.
Emperor Alexander
I enjoyed it, John. Alright if I review it?
John Mendl
File Author
Ok Alex,
If you are doing one, be sure to do a fair review for it. By the by did you play the latest updated version (Updated on 17/8/2007)?
The Swiss are now Celt civilization.

[Edited on 08/23/07 @ 07:35 AM]

John Mendl
File Author
Sword of Storm,
I didn't expect a score that low. Ok but you reviewed, good.

The two handed swordsman wasn't renamed because if we do it, then blacksmith upgrades and tracking etc. wont work. It wouldn't improve a renamed unit. That would cost too much and It would look bad seeing John Mendl cannot be upgraded during the game. The starting battle wasn't meant to create much trouble for the player. The player should only be careful not lose much HP. Infact the player can win the starting battle without losing any unit. I dont know why the map design only has a 3. I worked for months to make a very good snow terrain.

[Edited on 10/17/07 @ 06:57 AM]

Jatayu
(id: Sword_of_STORM)
Official Reviewer
Sorry,
The AI just isn't good enough. Good AI's like Duke , AllianceThundaEmpire or Saiyan Ai took months/years to develop.
Also I can't believe you spent 3 months making the map. It's not much better then a scandinavia random map.
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance3.0